Author Topic: Rappers convert to Judaism?????  (Read 1217 times)

Offline FreedomFighter08

• Senior JTFer
Rappers convert to Judaism?????
« on: August 21, 2009, 06:26:19 PM »
:o :o :o

There's a lot of rappers who converted to Islam but I'm reading about some that converted to Judaism while in prison.

Yitzchak Jordan (Hebrew: יצחק יורדן‎; also known by his stage name Y-Love) is an orthodox Jewish rapper.

He used to occasionally attend a Baptist church when he was young, but later converted to Orthodox Judaism.

Born to black and Puerto Rican parents[1], he found understanding for his early stirrings of faith from his maternal grandmother, Clara Lopez. Named after the matriarch of a Jewish family that once gave her father a job, Lopez had served as a “Shabbos goy” as a child, and wasn’t shocked when Jordan donned a kippah to observe Passover. “As I started separating myself from the rest of the family, she acted as my interpreter,” recalled Jordan, in an interview with the Forward. Soon after that, as a child, he began to give his Jewish classmate his lunch money in exchange for teaching him Hebrew[2].

He had his name legally changed, in early March of 2006, from his birthname of Jamal Michael Barrow to Moses Michael Leviy to reflect his recent conversion to Judaism as well as his Jewish heritage. Just days after this time he was in court challenging New York's application of the 'Son of Sam' law, which resulted in his assets being frozen and limiting his ability to line up record deals and remain profitable. He and his lawyers argued that allowing him to make deals with record producers would increase the pool of funds that the victims involved in the night club shooting might be able to profit from in a potential settlement.[9] [10] [11]

Despite his ordeal, his incarceration drew many sympathizers, as well as the admiration of many in the hip hop community. The gangster-specific code of silence which he related to numerous times on his self-titled debut album earned him a hardcore reputation in both the prison community as well as on the streets. Even jailed his name was linked with numerous record labels. However he wasn't without his detractors despite this as fellow New York rapper 50 Cent called him a punk and made light of his situation and the night club incident. Shyne responded in kind on his 2004 release Godfather Buried Alive.

What do you guys think about this? Do you accept these rappers as real Jews? I know Y-Love keeps Shabbat and prays in the morning and puts on tefilin but I don't think Shyne does.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: Rappers convert to Judaism?????
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 06:28:02 PM »
I never heard of this rapper then again i never heard of most rappers
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline FreedomFighter08

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 06:31:10 PM »
I was looking at this wikipedia article and found these names (although since I'm from NY I already know Shyne converted to Judaism).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_converts_to_Judaism

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 06:37:28 PM »
I was looking at this wikipedia article and found these names (although since I'm from NY I already know Shyne converted to Judaism).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_converts_to_Judaism
Interesting
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline FreedomFighter08

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 06:38:07 PM »
I saw some Atheist famous chemists who converted to Judaism on that list. Very interesting.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 06:38:56 PM »
I saw some Atheist famous chemists who converted to Judaism on that list. Very interesting.
Inever knew about Jackie wilson he's wasn't a rapper     http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jackie+wilson+higher+and+higher&search_type=

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline CorrieDeservedIt

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 07:42:04 PM »
...rappers?

Offline TruthSpreader

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 08:13:32 PM »
Rappers converting to Judaism???  :::D
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 09:15:31 PM »
:o :o :o

There's a lot of rappers who converted to Islam but I'm reading about some that converted to Judaism while in prison.

Yitzchak Jordan (Hebrew: יצחק יורדן‎; also known by his stage name Y-Love) is an orthodox Jewish rapper.

He used to occasionally attend a Baptist church when he was young, but later converted to Orthodox Judaism.

Born to black and Puerto Rican parents[1], he found understanding for his early stirrings of faith from his maternal grandmother, Clara Lopez. Named after the matriarch of a Jewish family that once gave her father a job, Lopez had served as a “Shabbos goy” as a child, and wasn’t shocked when Jordan donned a kippah to observe Passover. “As I started separating myself from the rest of the family, she acted as my interpreter,” recalled Jordan, in an interview with the Forward. Soon after that, as a child, he began to give his Jewish classmate his lunch money in exchange for teaching him Hebrew[2].

Doesn't say anything about prison here.   In fact it sounds like he wanted to observe Judaism even as a child.

If they are really keeping the mitzvot, which it sounds like this guys is (you said he keeps Shabbath), then they are legit.   Why do you question it?