Author Topic: Non Kosher For Passover???  (Read 5592 times)

Allen-T

Non Kosher For Passover???
« on: April 13, 2007, 06:16:40 AM »
What does this mean? I was in a supermarket last night and noticed 2 freezers, one marked Kosher For Passover the other Non Kosher For Passover? Now I thought that religious Jews were supposed to eat Kosher all the time, and non-religious Jews do so on the holidays only generally. But what is Non-Kosher For Passover? Is it items common for Passover that real rebelious Jews eat?? 

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
Re: Non Kosher For Passover???
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 07:09:01 AM »
During the passover holiday, Jews can only buy products marked 'Kosher for passover'. This label ensures that not only is the item 'kosher'
as in not breaking the halachic laws but that the item has no ingredients that can be considered 'unkosher' for passover, particularly grain (chametz). On passover, Jews cannot eat products that contain chametz.

The Torah commandments regarding chametz are:
To remove all chametz from one's home (Exodus 12:15)
To refrain from eating chametz or mixtures containing chametz during Passover (Exodus 13:3, Exodus 12:20, Deuteronomy 16:3)
Not to possess chametz in one's domain (i.e. home, office, car, etc.) during Passover (Exodus 12:19, Deuteronomy 16:4).

In the place of bread products, we eat matzo; a flat, unleavened "bread" which recalls the hurriedly-baked bread that the Israelites ate after their hasty departure from Egypt.

I hope this answers your question.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 07:13:19 AM by Trumpeldor »

Allen-T

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 07:12:54 AM »
During the passover holiday, Jews can only buy products marked 'Kosher for passover'. This label ensures that not only is the item 'kosher'
as in not breaking the halachic laws but that the item has no ingredients that can be considered 'unkosher' for passover, particularly grain (chametz). On passover, Jews cannot eat products that contain chametz.

To refrain from eating chametz or mixtures containing chametz during Passover (Exodus 13:3, Exodus 12:20, Deuteronomy 16:3)
Not to possess chametz in one's domain (i.e. home, office, car, etc.) during Passover (Exodus 12:19, Deuteronomy 16:4).

Ok, thanks!

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 07:14:05 AM »

Ok, thanks!

Have a good day. It's nice to see that JTF'ers are early risers. That's healthy.

ftf

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 07:28:09 AM »
I got up at about twenty past eleven this morning...

Allen-T

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 07:36:50 AM »

Ok, thanks!

Have a good day. It's nice to see that JTF'ers are early risers. That's healthy.

I wish, I just got home from working all night and now am working at my home business!!! :'(

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 07:38:27 AM »
What sort of work do you do? (both at home and away)

Allen-T

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 07:51:01 AM »
What sort of work do you do? (both at home and away)

I have a BS albeit union protected job at night I keep because of the medical coverage, the pay isn't much and I am a record dealer/antique dealer [as in old vinyl records/music related ephemera]. I also do stuff like remove scratches from valuable records with a secret technique I learned ions ago, manufacture DVDs of rare public domain jazz films I seek out,this and that really. I hate working for other people!   

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 08:00:30 AM »
very interesting. sounds good.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 10:17:32 AM »
Dear Allen-T,

I just want to elaborate on Trumpledor's response to you about chametz.

He is right that during this holiday, we are not allowed to eat any bread or grain products, or anything that can be used as a leavening agent.  Therefore, during Passover, Jews are not allowed to eat any beans, corn, foods with white flour, corn syrup, and foods with soy, soybean oil and/or corn oil.  Also, any cakes or cooke that we have during this time must be made with maztoh mean, rather than regular flour.   Ashkenazic Jews also do not eat rice.  Mizrahi Jews (from the Middle East) do eat rice. 

Allen-T

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 01:17:16 PM »
Thanks again for the additional details!!!

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 02:45:49 PM »
The reform self hating Jews eat non Kosher food for passover since they are self hating. 
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 04:05:01 PM »
The reform self hating Jews eat non Kosher food for passover since they are self hating. 

I am secular but I keep passover.

Offline Dominater96

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 05:19:23 PM »

If you are secualr then why do you keep passover?

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 05:58:31 PM »

Do you eat Kosher food or non Kosher food at your seder?  If you are eating non Kosher food then it is better that you don't make a seder since you are mocking G-d.
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 06:25:43 PM »

If you are secualr then why do you keep passover?

I'm not completely secular but I refuse to be part of 'conserved' and the 'deformed' movements. Parts of Judaism, like the major holidays and speaking Hebrew are still very important to me.

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 06:26:37 PM »

Do you eat Kosher food or non Kosher food at your seder?  If you are eating non Kosher food then it is better that you don't make a seder since you are mocking G-d.

Heaven forbid. I eat only kosher for passover food during passover. I would never intentionally desecrate the faith.

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 06:57:42 PM »

In the place of bread products, we eat matzo; a flat, unleavened "bread" which recalls the hurriedly-baked bread that the Israelites ate after their hasty departure from Egypt.

What doesn't make sense is why they would have food labeled "non-kosher for Passover."  By using "for Passover", they're implying that the products are still allowed.  They should label "Not for Passover."

They are probably some Jews who don't keep kosher and during Pesach, buy food labeled "non-kosher" for Passover, assuming that the food is not Kosher but still for Pesach.

Allen-T

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 11:32:23 PM »
I started buying Kosher salami because it was the only one I could find that doesn't have sugar in it of any kind. I got diagnosed with diabetes last summer. But I bet I'll never bump into Chaim at the market near the salamis!! ;D

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 01:00:48 PM »
I LOVE salami.

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2007, 11:20:39 AM »
I started buying Kosher salami because it was the only one I could find that doesn't have sugar in it of any kind. I got diagnosed with diabetes last summer. But I bet I'll never bump into Chaim at the market near the salamis!! ;D

Is he a vegetarian?