Author Topic: Naar Hayiti נער הייתי  (Read 2465 times)

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
Naar Hayiti נער הייתי
« on: August 27, 2009, 01:51:27 AM »
Naar Hayiti

נער הייתי

Na'ar Hayiti v'gam zkanti
v'lo raiti tzadik nazov
v'garo m'vakesh lechem
Hashem oz l'amo yiten
hashem yivarech amo va'shalom
נָעַר הַיִיתִי וְגַם זַקָנְתִי
וְלֹא רָאִיתִי צָדִיק נֶעֶזָב
וְזָרְעוֹ מְבַקֵש לַחֶם
ה' עֹז לְעַמוֹ יִתֵן
ה' יְבַרֵך אֶת עַמוֹ בַשָלוֹם

Translation:

I was a child and now I'm old
And I never saw a righteous person who was forgotten
And he asked for bread
God give Your people strength
God bless Your people with peace

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Naar Hayiti נער הייתי
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 01:54:44 AM »
Naar Hayiti

נער הייתי

v'lo raiti tzadik nazov
v'garo m'vakesh lechem
Hashem oz l'amo yiten
וְזָרְעוֹ מְבַקֵש לַחֶם
ה' עֹז לְעַמוֹ יִתֵן

Translation:

And he asked for bread
G-d give Your people strength
G-d bless Your people with peace

Very nice... Gives me strength in the darkness...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 02:30:18 AM »
I don't get the "and he asked for bread" part. Maybe it means Hashem gave him whatever he wanted?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 02:34:24 AM »
I am not sure what was meant..

What it meant to me was the act of Hashem giving the Israelites the maan in the desert. And that part of Tehillim when we say, "Hashem opens his hand, and satisfies the desire, of every living thing"

Also I have heard it said that a righteous man is guaranteed parnasah {livelyhood}. Man does not live by bread alone, but by the word of Hashem..

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 02:36:19 AM »
I am not sure what was meant..

What it meant to me was the act of Hashem giving the Israelites the maan in the desert. And that part of Tehillim when we say, "Hashem opens his hand, and satisfies the desire, of every living thing"

I don't see any of that here. I understand what you mean, but I just don't see it here.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 02:38:47 AM »
http://lazerbrody.typepad.com/lazer_beams/2006/05/pleasurable_par.html

Pleasurable Parnassa - part 1

Today and tomorrow, we'll be talking about how to take the pain and aggravation out of making a living

A fundamental principle in emuna that underlies parnassa, one's effort to earn money and make a living, is that a person's livelihood for the year is predetermined from Rosh Hashanna. You don't have to chase money with a net - Hashem gives it to you.

The practical manifestation of emuna is one's level of trust in Hashem. Trust includes the awareness that Hashem sustains all His creations, and that He does His job dependably. Therefore, those who trust Hashem aren't worried where their next meal is coming from; they know that He who has fed them in the past will continue to do so in the future. They also know that their livelihood doesn't depend on their craftiness or on their cunning – it depends on Hashem only.

No one can detract from the income that Hashem designates for a person. The Talmud states emphatically (tractate Yoma 38b) that one human is incapable of touching a fellow human's intended portion. Equipped with this basic fact, a person need not worry nor fear anyone or anything.

Trust in Hashem – internalizing the fundamental principle of emuna that one's livelihood is predetermined and exclusively from Hashem – enables a person to conduct his or her business affairs with confidence, a clear mind, and a healthy outlook. Stress, anxiety, and worry fall by the wayside. With trust in Hashem, a person goes through life with inner peace, avoiding the pitfalls of crazy wheeling, dealing, and chasing money at the expense of their physical, emotional, and spiritual health. Sound exaggerated? Here's what futile chases after money do to a person:

·         Emotional damages – worry, anger, stress, and anxiety that also result in depression and severe changes of mood;

·         Physical damages – the above emotional strains increase chances of heart disease, digestion disorders, strokes, and cardiovascular problems, heaven forbid. Also, they are springboards for substance use and addiction, namely, alcohol, tobacco, and drugs.

·         Spiritual damages – money chasers forget the Torah's laws, and often resort to dishonesty, fraud, thievery, and other transgressions, all of which severely blemish a person's soul.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 02:42:35 AM »
I also think that by saying  "And he asked for bread" may be referring to the idea that Hashem created us lacking in order we have to ask him for things through our prayer. I don't know where it is written, but I have heard, that the plants were not growing before man was created because Hashem withheld the rain simply because he wanted man to have to daven for the rain... Once man davened for the rain, it fell as it was supposed to...

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 02:44:29 AM »
Point taken. I'm too tired to think deeply right now, but in the morning IY'H I will be able to come up with something else. In the meantime goodnight.

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 03:34:28 AM »
Naar Hayiti

נער הייתי

v'lo raiti tzadik nazov
v'garo m'vakesh lechem
Hashem oz l'amo yiten
וְזָרְעוֹ מְבַקֵש לַחֶם
ה' עֹז לְעַמוֹ יִתֵן

Translation:

And he asked for bread

Mo, actually the translation of the highlighted verses is:

"And never saw a righteous person who was forgotten and whose children asked for bread"

This should settle the kushiya   :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 03:39:56 AM by Spectator »
Do not put your trust in princes, nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help (Psalms 146:3)

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 10:05:42 AM »
Naar Hayiti

נער הייתי

v'lo raiti tzadik nazov
v'garo m'vakesh lechem
Hashem oz l'amo yiten
וְזָרְעוֹ מְבַקֵש לַחֶם
ה' עֹז לְעַמוֹ יִתֵן

Translation:

And he asked for bread

Mo, actually the translation of the highlighted verses is:

"And never saw a righteous person who was forgotten and whose children asked for bread"

This should settle the kushiya   :)

Good call! I was sooooooo tired I wasn't even thinking. Even so, though. Kind of random.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 10:29:36 AM »
I also think that by saying  "And he asked for bread" may be referring to the idea that Hashem created us lacking in order we have to ask him for things through our prayer. I don't know where it is written, but I have heard, that the plants were not growing before man was created because Hashem withheld the rain simply because he wanted man to have to daven for the rain... Once man davened for the rain, it fell as it was supposed to...

Kind of hard to breathe without plants already being there.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 11:20:22 AM »
Hi RubyStars,

I don't know if you are just having fun, or you don't believe what I am saying... I have found reference to this concept here:

http://www.nishmat.net/article.php?id=477&heading=0

Bereishit 5768: Rain, Plants, and Prayer
Rabbi Zvi Leshem (Blobstein)

"And all of the plants of the field were not yet in the earth, and all grasses of the field had not sprouted, for haShem Elokim had not made it rain on the earth, for there was no man to work the land." (1) Rashi explains that the reason it hadn't rained was that without man, there was no one to recognize the goodness of the rain. (2) When Adam was created and became aware that the world needed rain, he davened for rain, and then it rained and the plants began to grow.(3)

Rav Hirsch points out that the further development of the world…is dependent on the existence and behavior of Man. Obviously this is not only referring to humanity's role as custodian over the natural world (as benevolent rulers, not tyrannical dictators, to paraphrase Rav Kook (4), but primarily to our role as the spiritual guardians and leaders of the cosmos. Rav Hirsch further notes that it is deeply significant that the activity of Man mastering the earth is called avoda -- service. (5) This service is centered on prayer, the ongoing connection between the Creator and the created. Praying…is simply drinking from the source of all spiritual life…watering all the fibers and filaments of our inner being to produce new blossoms.

Rebbe Nachman also compares prayer with flowers (6). As I walk through a field picking wildflowers, I see more and more beautiful ones. Instead of throwing away the flowers I already have in order to take more, I retain the old, adding the new in order to make beautiful bouquets. By the time I reach the other side of the field, I have a giant and beautiful armful of flowers. So too, when I daven. Each letter is a flower, each word a small bouquet, each blessing a larger one and so on. The goal is not to daven quickly, discarding each letter in order to pronounce the next. I should rather savor each letter and each word, saying the next while still feeling the reverberations of the previous. Thus I create bigger and bigger bouquets of beautiful flowers, and, as Rebbe Nachman concludes, when he stands in the last word of the prayer, he is still standing in the first word of the prayer.

At the beginning of this New Year and the new rainy season in Eretz Yisrael, may we all merit to daven like flowers, drawing down rain of blessing to water the grasses that will then inspire us with their new tunes. (7) Shabbat Shalom.

1 Bereshit 2: 5.
2We can discern a hint to the kabbalistic idea that the world was created in order for haShem to bestow His goodness upon the creation.
3 See also Onkeles who translates to work as l'miflach, which is related to the Hebrew word pulchan, meaning ritual. The Netziv here also takes the phrase siach hasadeh -- plants of the field, to refer to prayer, since siach -- conversation is used to mean prayer later in relation to Yitzhak. See also the Ibn Ezra who connects the interdependency of humanity and plants to the fact that the Torah later compares a human being to a tree.
4 Chazon HaTzimchonut v'HaShalom.
5 See also his comments on 2: 15, that man was placed in the garden l'avda u'l'shamara -- to work it and to guard it.
6 Likutei Moharan 65: 2. See also Likutei Moharan Tinyana 63, regarding the song of the grasses that forms the song of the shepherd.
7 According to Rebbe Nachman's recently published secret messianic scroll, Megillat Setarim, the Mashiach will be an accomplished musician who will reveal many new niggunim that will charm the world.
After two hundred years of secrecy the scroll was recently published for the first time (with permission from the elders of the Breslov community) by Dr. Zvi Mark of Efrat.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
Mostly trying to have fun, but I'll be serious now. Science says plants colonized land before animals, and that's what I go with. I think that the rabbis who analyzed this stuff aren't necessarily wrong. I do think that people are needy of God and must rely on God for their needs. I think that they used the plants as an example of the concepts they were trying to teach and that it doesn't necessarily have to have happened that way in the real world.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 11:52:22 AM »
Mostly trying to have fun, but I'll be serious now. Science says plants colonized land before animals, and that's what I go with. I think that the rabbis who analyzed this stuff aren't necessarily wrong. I do think that people are needy of G-d and must rely on G-d for their needs. I think that they used the plants as an example of the concepts they were trying to teach and that it doesn't necessarily have to have happened that way in the real world.

So your religion is science... There are people like this... But science is invented by man and the laws of science are created by Hashem...

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 12:20:09 PM »
Mostly trying to have fun, but I'll be serious now. Science says plants colonized land before animals, and that's what I go with. I think that the rabbis who analyzed this stuff aren't necessarily wrong. I do think that people are needy of G-d and must rely on G-d for their needs. I think that they used the plants as an example of the concepts they were trying to teach and that it doesn't necessarily have to have happened that way in the real world.

So your religion is science... There are people like this... But science is invented by man and the laws of science are created by Hashem...

Science isn't religion, it's just studying God's creation. I agree with you that the laws of science are created by God. Nothing happens without God.

Offline VforVendetta

• Full JTFer
  • Remember Remember, The 5th of November
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 12:40:24 PM »
The bible says God created the land and the plants on Tuesday.
He created the fish and birds on Thursday and only on Friday he created the first man and the rest of the animals.
sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 02:16:03 PM »
The bible says G-d created the land and the plants on Tuesday.
He created the fish and birds on Thursday and only on Friday he created the first man and the rest of the animals.
sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The third day doesn't necessarily mean Tuesday or a single 24 hour day, but you got the idea.

Offline VforVendetta

• Full JTFer
  • Remember Remember, The 5th of November
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 03:22:41 PM »
Right