Author Topic: Aish  (Read 1387 times)

Offline SW

• Ultimate JTFer
Aish
« on: August 27, 2009, 03:44:03 PM »
Here is a good website that someone gave me.

http://www.aish.com/

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Aish
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 08:09:10 PM »
Here is a good website that someone gave me.

http://www.aish.com/

Aish HaTorah is an excellent site... I have been a donor to Aish for about six years and they provide excellent website for the Jewish community.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 08:15:55 PM »
I go there almost every shabbos.

Moshe92

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 08:23:17 PM »

You go on the aish website almost every shabbos?  :o :o

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 09:23:21 PM »

No, Aish HaTorah runs a Yeshiva in Jerusalem... A Yeshiva is a school for learning Torah and other subjects...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 09:24:08 PM »

You're funny. They have shuls a lot of places, too. Including one here.

Moshe92

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 09:25:12 PM »

No, Aish HaTorah runs a Yeshiva in Jerusalem... A Yeshiva is a school for learning Torah and other subjects...

Oh. Is that the yeshiva of Rav Noah Weinberg ZT"L?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 09:26:17 PM »

Yes, Rabbi Weinberg passed away several months ago... They are still running memorial videos for him at Aish.com...

http://www.aish.com/rebNoach/mm/48972116.html
http://www.aish.com/rebNoach/e/48972071.html

Moshe92

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 09:27:26 PM »
I remember hearing about his death. I saw a video of him speaking a few weeks ago.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 09:53:14 PM »

Yes, Rabbi Weinberg passed away several months ago... They are still running memorial videos for him at Aish.com...

http://www.aish.com/rebNoach/mm/48972116.html
http://www.aish.com/rebNoach/e/48972071.html

I saw Rabbi Orlowek's speech broadcast on the internet for a tribute for Rav Weinberg ZT'L after he passed away that they set up at aish, it was very moving.   I've met him, Rabbi Orlowek is a real tzadik.  I recommend his lectures, he has them all over the web.  probably on the aish site.   He was particularly emotional in the memorial for Rav Weinberg very amazing to see for those of us who have heard him speak before...

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 11:14:55 PM »
R' Noach met many celebrities in his day, you know?

Offline galileerat

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 10:22:43 AM »
Aish has many good points. I studied there in the 70s.

But Aish & R.Weinberg followed the Shachian stance of "Land for Peace", and initially supported Oslo.

Aish even invited a PLO speaker to talk in the yeshiva in 1993!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 11:21:11 AM »
Aish has many good points. I studied there in the 70s.

But Aish & R.Weinberg followed the Shachian stance of "Land for Peace", and initially supported Oslo.

Aish even invited a PLO speaker to talk in the yeshiva in 1993!

Well from my experience with Aish they have been ardent Zionists and are against disengagement. I have posted several Aish articles here which demonstrate their support for settlers and against the evacuation of Gaza...

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 03:55:19 PM »
Yes I do think they have become more outwardly zionist and I would say that is because the demographic they reach (normal Jews who aren't necessarily orthodox or haredi, but interested in increasing observance, strengthening Jewish identity) - these people naturally identify with basic Jewish sentiments like nationalism/zionism, the state of Israel, dislike of muslim nazi terrorist enemies, etc.   Because they haven't been brainwashed in any system to reject that stuff, so it comes naturally, or if they were caught in the reform 'liberal pro arab' trap, they escaped that to now want to be more observant authentically and to learn from aish.   I also think the people who do kiruv are more inclined toward these views or at least more open to them.   If they were completely antizionist or very weak/uncertain "nonzionist" people would reject aish more and be turned off by it a lot more.

Like the articles muman has posted here, I've seen some pretty good articles from aish as well stressing the Jewish people's ownership of eretz yisrael etc.    And I think that they take that approach which is different somewhat from haredi and even from their own aish "rebbe" because that is what upward striving Jews are looking for and that will produce success for their organization.   Over time the aish organization will probably (if they haven't already) come to see these views as 'their own' and adopt them more fully in themselves aside from just appealing to the masses with it as a kiruv 'tactic' so to speak.