Author Topic: Shalom  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Dan Ben Noah

• Full JTFer
Shalom
« on: August 29, 2009, 08:07:49 PM »
Shalom
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 11:09:15 PM by Dan Ben Noah »
Jeremiah 16:19 O Lord, Who are my power and my strength and my refuge in the day of trouble, to You nations will come from the ends of the earth and say, "Only lies have our fathers handed down to us, emptiness in which there is nothing of any avail!

Zechariah 8:23 So said the Lord of Hosts: In those days, when ten men of all the languages of the nations shall take hold of the skirt of a Jewish man, saying, "Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you."

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Funny Karaite Opinion
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 08:16:29 PM »
Here is a paragraph from an article on a Karaite website that basically says lack of self-control is a good enough reason to violate Torah:

As another case, let's say you are walking down the street and you smell a pork barbeque. You can't control yourself, and you join the party and partake. Obviously, you are guilty of violating the Torah commandment against not eating unclean animals. But again, even in this case, there may be mitigating circumstances. You did not eat the animal in order to deliberately violate the Torah; the flesh is weak, and you gave in to your weaknesses this time, and probably felt very guilty about it afterwards. A wise judge, hearing this case, would realize that even here there are mitigating circumstances and would reduce the penalty accordingly.
This is a slippery slope and I see problems excepting logic like this. I am not passing judgment on a person who would fall into this trap however its all to easy to subconsciously plan walks through the neighborhood that may go past a barbecue or two.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
Re: Funny Karaite Opinion
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 02:35:05 PM »
Here is a paragraph from an article on a Karaite website that basically says lack of self-control is a good enough reason to violate Torah:

As another case, let's say you are walking down the street and you smell a pork barbeque. You can't control yourself, and you join the party and partake. Obviously, you are guilty of violating the Torah commandment against not eating unclean animals. But again, even in this case, there may be mitigating circumstances. You did not eat the animal in order to deliberately violate the Torah; the flesh is weak, and you gave in to your weaknesses this time, and probably felt very guilty about it afterwards. A wise judge, hearing this case, would realize that even here there are mitigating circumstances and would reduce the penalty accordingly.
Well, I think you took it out of context. It probably discusses various gravities of sin. I do not find this article funny - it makes sense - " A wise judge, hearing this case, would realize that even here there are mitigating circumstances and would reduce the penalty accordingly"
Hayot Araviot Masrihot