Author Topic: Do Jews smoke hookah / shisha?  (Read 8909 times)

Offline SW

• Ultimate JTFer
Do Jews smoke hookah / shisha?
« on: August 30, 2009, 06:42:32 AM »
I have a question for the Jewish members. Do you smoke hooka / shisha? Are you allowed to smoke it?

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Do Jews smoke hookah / shisha?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 07:50:48 AM »
Of course not.

All smoking is extremely damaging to the body and leads to heart disease and cancer, G-d forbid. Smoking through the shisha pipes that Arab Muslims use is just as damaging as smoking cigarettes.

Offline SW

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 07:59:29 AM »
Of course not.

All smoking is extremely damaging to the body and leads to heart disease and cancer, G-d forbid. Smoking through the shisha pipes that Arab Muslims use is just as damaging as smoking cigarettes.

Thank you for your answer.
Smoking destroy the lungs and the whole body.
It's terrible my parents smoke. But they are dependent of cigarettes because it makes you addicted.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 09:05:25 AM »
I agree with the biological part, but there are plenty of Jews who smoke hooka, especially guys in yeshiva. And unfortunately there are Jews who smoke cigarettes (I am battling that). Just because Jews do it, doesn't make it right it though.

Offline SW

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 09:11:31 AM »
I agree with the biological part, but there are plenty of Jews who smoke hooka, especially guys in yeshiva. And unfortunately there are Jews who smoke cigarettes (I am battling that). Just because Jews do it, doesn't make it right it though.

I wish you luck and strong will to finish smoking. Try to eat things like chocolate if you feel to smoke. Find an alternative for smoking cigarettes.

Moshe92

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 09:30:52 AM »

Try to eat things like chocolate if you feel to smoke.

I don't think that's a good idea. Some people do so, and then they become overweight once they quit smoking. Being overweight is just as unhealthy as smoking.

Offline SW

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 09:38:07 AM »

Try to eat things like chocolate if you feel to smoke.

I don't think that's a good idea. Some people do so, and then they become overweight once they quit smoking. Being overweight is just as unhealthy as smoking.

Hmm that's true..

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 09:56:06 AM »
It's the only thing I smoke and I only do it once or twice a year. I know it is not good for you.
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline SW

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 10:03:49 AM »
It's the only thing I smoke and I only do it once or twice a year. I know it is not good for you.

I do also sometimes smoke hookah. I will try to smoke less

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 10:14:19 AM »
I know when people smoke hookah that they're mostly smoking some form of tobacco, but for some reason I always associate this with opium. Was there a time when this was used for opium?

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 10:33:06 AM »
Yes, Rubystars, that was the original purpose of it.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 10:36:36 AM »
Of course not.

Chaim, you are exactly right. I just don't get the fascination with smoking and never have. I guess I should be glad that I am living now rather than 50 years ago when literally everybody did it and guys who didn't were thought of as weird or unmanly.

But still--there's way too much of it both here and in Israel. In particular I don't understand why nonsmokers feel the need to experiment with tobacco. You have no idea how many nonsmokers I know of that feel it is important to try a cigarette "just once" in order to "experience how terrible it is". Very few nonsmokers that I know have never tried tobacco at all, or will never try it.

Offline SW

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
I know when people smoke hookah that they're mostly smoking some form of tobacco, but for some reason I always associate this with opium. Was there a time when this was used for opium?

Opium is a narcotics. Hookah is not.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 11:47:25 AM »
Of course not.

Chaim, you are exactly right. I just don't get the fascination with smoking and never have. I guess I should be glad that I am living now rather than 50 years ago when literally everybody did it and guys who didn't were thought of as weird or unmanly.

But still--there's way too much of it both here and in Israel. In particular I don't understand why nonsmokers feel the need to experiment with tobacco. You have no idea how many nonsmokers I know of that feel it is important to try a cigarette "just once" in order to "experience how terrible it is". Very few nonsmokers that I know have never tried tobacco at all, or will never try it.

Yes it was crazy even in the 60's my dad remembers that when he was like 10 or 11 he used to fly from NY to LA and the airlines would give complimentary cigarettes and all the people would be smoking on the plane and in the air etc. He remembers when he was little kid that his dentist would take a break every 2 minutes to take a drag on his smoke DURING his treatments of patients.
As far as my smoking goes, well, when my mom and lived with my grandma, my grandma was a chain smoker. My mother HATED it. I did too. We were both allergic. Then 10 years later, at age 17, one of my friends was smoking and she offered me a drag. I figured I'd try it, "It can't hurt I said." I got this incredible head rush and I figured "wow, no wonder people smoke." So I kept trying cigarettes until eventually I got somebody of age to buy me my first pack. Well 5 years later, I'm still smoking. The good news is that I quit before going to Yeshiva in Israel and after a month I couldn't take it anymore. It was EVERYWHERE. The guys would smoke in the dorms, the bathrooms, outside the Beis Medrash. And everywhere I went I'd see it and smell it. Malls, restaurants, on the street, bus stations, even in HOSPITALS.  So the yetzer hara won and I started again. Then I started dating somebody for a month and I quit until she dumped me. I quit again last summer but I went to back to Yeshivah and this time after 2 weeks I was back on the butts because it was EVERYWHERE. My roommates smoked in the room all the time. Our room was known as the smoking room. Now, a year later, I cut down TREMENDOUSLY. I went from smoking 5 cigarettes a day, to 10, to 20, back to 5, now I'm at 1 or 2 a day. Shabbos used to be the hardest especially before I became religious. I wouldn't smoke on shabbos and for almost a year I accomplished it. Then I became frum and now, Baruch Hashem, I have no problems on Shabbos anymore. So hopefully, I'll get married in a few years and she'll make me quit COMPLETELY.

Offline FreedomFighter08

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 12:01:36 PM »
I don't smoke cigarettes. Many reasons not to, because of health problems, and because I'm an athlete and that'll just ruin my lungs. I did smoke hookah with friends before though. Many good hookah places are in Astoria and have middle-eastern or indian decor.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 12:02:57 PM »
Yes, Rubystars, that was the original purpose of it.

Thanks Bonesfan, I knew the association was coming from somewhere.

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 12:11:12 PM »
I smoke cigars, like one per month or fewer. I like the taste and it doesn't damage my lungs. I used to smoke cigarettes a long time ago but quit - it was very easy for me.
Hayot Araviot Masrihot

Offline SW

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 12:33:42 PM »
I smoke cigars, like one per month or fewer. I like the taste and it doesn't damage my lungs. I used to smoke cigarettes a long time ago but quit - it was very easy for me.

As long it doesn't hurt you it's ok.

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 12:41:15 PM »

Common man, one cigar in  couple of months? With some port and a great book! It prolongs my life!  ;D
Hayot Araviot Masrihot

Offline SW

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2009, 12:47:17 PM »

Common man, one cigar in  couple of months? With some port and a great book! It prolongs my life!  ;D

;D

If you feel good and if you can releax  :) Enjoy your life

Offline Angry Panther

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2009, 02:03:40 PM »
I used to smoke cigars until one day my sister pointed out why do you have a $10.00 flammable pacifier in your mouth?

I had no answer.

I quit smoking cigars.

Offline SW

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2009, 02:22:34 PM »
I used to smoke cigars until one day my sister pointed out why do you have a $10.00 flammable pacifier in your mouth?

I had no answer.

I quit smoking cigars.

You had no answer? You just smoked it? Just for fun? I am sure you enjoyed the taste of the cigars. I would never pay 10 or more Dollars for just some smoke.

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2009, 11:27:02 PM »
other than being as bad as cigarettes, i think sharing a hookah can be quite germy and unsanitary. 
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2009, 11:33:22 PM »
German Kahanist--there is no such thing as a "safe" amount of tobacco usage. Even ONE cigarette is very damaging.

Mo--do be aware that a lot fewer women will consider you if you smoke, at all.

Offline bongoid

• Full JTFer
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 11:54:44 PM »
Why would I smoke anything called "Shisha" ? Sounds like something else that the camel dropped !  Like dried $#I+ !  :::D