Author Topic: Penn State shows how they really value merit.  (Read 1322 times)

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
Penn State shows how they really value merit.
« on: September 08, 2009, 01:31:32 AM »
   Looks like the days of universities giving scholarships based on merit are coming to an end. This year the university is asking academic achievers to donate back some of their scholarship. Next year I wouldn't be surprised if it just disappears. Instead the money is going to go to low income underachievers who don't even show up for classes.
   I'm not completely against need-based scholarships for those who are serious, but there should be some merit based requirements tied to them. For the investment to pay off, there should be a B or better requirement. Maybe with room for a few Cs. If the student had to at least show up for class, that would be some type of improvement over what it is now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090907/ap_on_bi_ge/us_merit_aid_giveback
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Re: Penn State shows how they really value merit.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 01:47:10 AM »
The negro is the idol that our generation worships.

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 02:13:20 PM »
They just want to recruit ebonics babbling morons to show how progressive they are.
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 02:20:56 PM »
I worked my way through school and never asked for a dime.  These inner city morons can't even read at a third grade level, but academia is only concerned with their PC image.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 02:57:02 PM »
I worked my way through school and never asked for a dime.  These inner city morons can't even read at a third grade level, but academia is only concerned with their PC image.

Same here.  I worked at an ice cream plant doing cleanup and almost all of the money I made went to school.

Offline patches

• Senior JTFer
  • To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 03:13:37 PM »
I'd like to work at an ice cream plant.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 06:02:57 PM »
I'd like to work at an ice cream plant.

I'd work at a beer or cigarette factory. Yet, ice cream would be pretty awesome, too.   8) 8)

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 06:18:23 PM »
I ran a vending route and had a boss who didn't care if I took some snacks here or there as long as I didn't overdue it.  That was the closest I came to a handout.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 08:18:03 PM »
I ran a vending route and had a boss who didn't care if I took some snacks here or there as long as I didn't overdue it.  That was the closest I came to a handout.
The mark up on the product is astronomical  so unless you were taking the snacks by the case the boss could not care less. They are more concerned about the money end of the equation. People that are receiving grant money to attend school should at least have to maintain a B or C average or get cut off for the up coming years funding.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 08:21:35 PM »

I wonder if this falls under the Torah command to allow a worker to eat some of what he works on... This is one of the commandments...

http://www.yutorah.org/lectures/lecture.cfm/736283/Lebowitz,_Rabbi_Aryeh
http://www.jlaw.com/Articles/relationships.html
The Bible does allow one type of worker to partake of an employer’s product. The Bible gives a field worker the right to eat of the produce with which he works. The Bible states (Deuteronomy 23:26-27): "When you come [as a worker] into your neighbor’s vineyard, you may eat as many grapes as is your desire, to your fill, but you may not put any into a receptacle. When you come into your neighbor’s standing corn, you may pluck ears with your hand, but you should not lift a sickle on your neighbor’s standing corn." These laws ensure that a field worker has a right to eat a small amount of the crop he or she is working on while harvesting. These laws, however, also protect the field owner from a rapacious worker who will take too much. The Bible does not allow the worker to place any of the produce into a receptacle. The Talmud makes clear that the phrase "to satisfy your hunger" limits the worker from gorging himself, even without placing any of the food into a container (Babylonian Talmud, Bava Metzia 87b).
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Moshe92

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 08:28:36 PM »
When I visited Harvard recently, they said that 60% of students are on financial aid. Some private universities are becoming almost like public universities.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 08:42:25 PM »

I wonder if this falls under the Torah command to allow a worker to eat some of what he works on... This is one of the commandments...

http://www.yutorah.org/lectures/lecture.cfm/736283/Lebowitz,_Rabbi_Aryeh
http://www.jlaw.com/Articles/relationships.html
The Bible does allow one type of worker to partake of an employer’s product. The Bible gives a field worker the right to eat of the produce with which he works. The Bible states (Deuteronomy 23:26-27): "When you come [as a worker] into your neighbor’s vineyard, you may eat as many grapes as is your desire, to your fill, but you may not put any into a receptacle. When you come into your neighbor’s standing corn, you may pluck ears with your hand, but you should not lift a sickle on your neighbor’s standing corn." These laws ensure that a field worker has a right to eat a small amount of the crop he or she is working on while harvesting. These laws, however, also protect the field owner from a rapacious worker who will take too much. The Bible does not allow the worker to place any of the produce into a receptacle. The Talmud makes clear that the phrase "to satisfy your hunger" limits the worker from gorging himself, even without placing any of the food into a container (Babylonian Talmud, Bava Metzia 87b).

Interesting post Muman. I like the reasoning in the Jewish bible law.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 09:14:35 PM »
Being a college student on a limited budget, a snack here and a snack there came in handy, as I did not have the finances to spend a lot on groceries. 

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 10:55:03 PM »

How long ago was this?

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 06:40:46 PM »
Being a college student on a limited budget, a snack here and a snack there came in handy, as I did not have the finances to spend a lot on groceries. 

good thing you don't smoke.

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 06:43:27 PM »

good thing you don't smoke.

Or drink!  I went to a private college.  The only thing more broke than me was the car I drove.

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 06:45:34 PM »

How long ago was this?

A time way back when I was younger, dumber, and one of the few people on campus who sported a "Impeach Clinton" t-shirt.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 05:28:26 PM »

How long ago was this?

A time way back when I was younger, dumber, and one of the few people on campus who sported a "Impeach Clinton" t-shirt.

I was just a high school sophomore at the time and a little dumber because I supported Clinton. 

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 05:34:27 PM »

How long ago was this?

I was just a high school sophomore at the time and a little dumber because I supported Clinton. 

Good thing you where too young to vote. ;D