Author Topic: I put on Tefillin for the first time in three years!  (Read 2768 times)

Offline FreedomFighter08

• Senior JTFer
I put on Tefillin for the first time in three years!
« on: September 08, 2009, 10:55:31 AM »
And it felt good. 8)

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
Re: I put on Tefillin for the first time in three years!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 10:59:10 AM »
And it felt good. 8)

Thst's great! Mazal Tov!
 :dance:
Do not put your trust in princes, nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help (Psalms 146:3)

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 11:10:12 AM »
Mazal tov!

Offline IsraeliGovtAreKapos

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 11:20:26 AM »
בס"ד

Mazal tov bro! how did it go

Offline FreedomFighter08

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 11:38:18 AM »
Well I put on the Tefillin and said the blessings for Tefillin in the right order, and when I was done putting on the Tefillin, I said Shima Yisrael. Then I took it off. Took pretty fast. I think I can do this everyday except for Shabbat.

Is there any holidays where we are not allowed to put on Tefillin?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 11:52:53 AM »
Well I put on the Tefillin and said the blessings for Tefillin in the right order, and when I was done putting on the Tefillin, I said Shima Yisrael. Then I took it off. Took pretty fast. I think I can do this everyday except for Shabbat.

Is there any holidays where we are not allowed to put on Tefillin?

Chabads web page is very helpful:

http://www.chabad.org/generic_cdo/aid/102436/jewish/Tefillin.htm

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/81812/jewish/Tefillin-Explained.htm

The Basic Laws and the order of Putting on the Tefillin.

1. A Jewish boy, upon reaching his thirteenth birthday, is regarded as a full fledged Jew. He then becomes a "Bar Mitzvah," meaning that he is obliged to keep and perform all the laws and customs of the Jewish people. One of these laws commanded us in the Torah is Tefillin.

2. It is customary to initiate the boy into the practice of donning the Tefillin two or three months before the actual date of his Bar Mitzvah.

3. When purchasing a pair of Tefillin, care should be taken to buy it from a dependable store in order to be sure the Tefillin are hand-written by a duly qualified Scribe (Sofer). Those not produced in conformity with the specified requirements of Tefillin, may not be used.

4. Tefillin should be donned on week days only. On Sabbath and festivals, including chol-hamoed, Tefillin are not to be put on. (In some congregations, however, Tefillin are also donned on chol-hamoed.)

5. Tefillin are worn during the morning prayers. However, if for some reason it was impossible to do so in the morning, Tefillin may still be put on later in the day, but not after sunset.

6. The procedure for putting on Tefillin is as follows:

The person should be standing. He takes out the "Hand" Tefillin first, and places it upon the biceps of the left arm, adjusted so as to rest against the heart. (See illustration 1).

Care should be taken that the leather loop through which the strap is drawn is above the box. Before tightening the strap he recites the blessing Lehaniach Tefillin (see full text). Then he fastens the strap, winding two coils over the leather extension of the Hand Tefillin and his arm (this forms the letter ש) proceeding to make seven coils on his forearm (See illustration 2) . The rest of the strap he winds around his palm. Immediately afterwards he takes out the "Head" Tefillin and places it on his head so that the box rests above the forehead, and the knot rests just above the neck. Care should be taken to ensure that the box of the Head-Tefillin is placed properly above the forehead so that the lower edge of the box should not fall below the hair roots, and that it is centered at a point midway between the eyes (See Illustration 3). Having so adjusted the Head Tefillin, he now unwinds the strap from his palm in order to make three coils on the middle finger, the first on the lower phalanx (near the palm), the second on the middle phalanx, and third, back again on the lower phalanx. The remainder of the strap is then wound around the palm. (In some communities it is customary to make the blessing al Mitzvat Tefillin over the Head-Tefillin before adjusting it, followed by Baruch Shem Kevod Malchuto Le'Olam Va'ed. There are also slight variations in the manner of winding the straps around the arm, palm and middle finger.)

7. The straps, both of the Hand and Head Tefillin must always be placed black side up.

8. During the act of putting on Tefillin, it is prohibited to interrupt the procedure by conversation or gesture. The only interruption permitted is to answer Amen when hearing someone else making the blessing over Tefillin. If an unauthorized interruption was made, the blessing Al Mitzvat Tefillin should be recited when putting on the Head Tefillin. (In those congregations where this blessing is said in any case, it is also necessary to repeat the first one Lehaniach Tefillin).

9. A person who is left-handed (whether one is deemed left-handed in this case should be ascertained from an orthodox Rabbi) puts on the Hand-Tefillin on his right arm.

10. The Tefillin must be placed upon the bare arm and head, without anything intervening.

11. If for some reason it is impossible to put the Hand Tefillin on, the Head-Tefillin must be put on nevertheless, and vice versa. In each case the respective blessing is recited.

12. It is required that the person be constantly and respectfully aware of the Tefillin while he is wearing them.

13. It is customary to remove the Tefillin only after the conclusion of the entire morning service. At any rate they must not be removed until after the prayer U'Vah Le'Tzion. On Rosh Chodesh, the Tefillin are taken off before musaph. (On chol hamoed, if Tefillin are donned, remove them before Hallel).

14. The procedure for removing the Tefillin is as follows: The person should stand. First the strap around the middle finger is unwound and is rewound around the palm. The Head-Tefillin is then removed from the head with the left hand, the straps rewound, and placed in the Tefillin bag. Then the Hand-Tefillin is removed, the straps rewound and placed into the bag. It is customary to put the Head-Tefillin on the right side and the Hand-Tefillin on the left side in the bag.

15. When a Talit is worn during the prayer, the Talit should be put on first and then the Tefillin; but when the prayer is concluded, the Tefillin are removed first, in the manner described above, and then the Talit.

16. On Tisha b'Av the Tefillin are not put on for the morning prayer, but for the afternoon prayer.

17. The Tefillin must be handled with due reverence. Should the Tefillin accidentally fall to the floor, atonement is required by fasting or giving charity. In such a case a Rabbi should be consulted as to how the atonement should be made.

18. Said our Sages: He who carefully observes the commandment of Tefillin daily, merits long life and the World to Come.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 12:15:46 PM »
Mazel Tov! :dance:

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 08:38:35 AM »
Yasher Koach!

Offline freedomannie

• Full JTFer
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 02:54:20 PM »
 Yay! That is very good!  ;D
I am in love with Light as it has brought the curtains back from the darkness...i will always be free with the truth i now know and my heart is forever changed...I thank G-d for the light! <3 Always