Author Topic: Does anyone know how to do the graphics for a flyer for our Hebrew forum?  (Read 1855 times)

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
בס''ד

It's just words, and it's just black and white. It's in Hebrew.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
What type of graphics?

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
בס''ד

Here's what the flyer looks like in Hebrew except we want in black and white because the special colors are too expensive.

http://hayamin.org/forum/index.php/topic,21444.0.html

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
You used the same image and simply made it monochrome...

Good use of GIMP..

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
If your just printing with a single color (Black on white paper to save money), converting it to a greyscale like AH did will NOT work, You would have to convert it to a true monocrhome, and will therefore never get any real shades of grey.   It will look like the attachment.

Your best option would be to start from scratch and have it retyped with a monochrome design.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
If your just printing with a single color (Black on white paper to save money), converting it to a greyscale like AH did will NOT work, You would have to convert it to a true monocrhome, and will therefore never get any real shades of grey.   It will look like the attachment.

Your best option would be to start from scratch and have it retyped with a monochrome design.

You are correct, it was converted to greyscale, not monochrome... Monocrome is only black and white, with dithering...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Here I converted it in GIMP to Monochrome with Floyd Stienberg dithering for the grayscales... It should be true monochrome...

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
Here I converted it in GIMP to Monochrome with Floyd Stienberg dithering for the grayscales... It should be true monochrome...

Yes, it is true monochrome, but the dithering wont come out the way you want it, when it is printed.  It will bleed together, You would need to use dots, and use them sparingly.  Again, I strongly suggest using a special monochrome design, not taking something that is not meant to be monochrome.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Does anyone know how to do the graphics for a flyer for our Hebrew forum?
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 01:23:42 AM »
I agree... I do not have a lot of familiarity with typing with a Hebrew keyboard. I just installed the Hebrew language pack on my system and it will take some learning before I can type like I do in english.

Does anyone have the text of this flyer? If so I can render it in monochrome? I have typed Hebrew into GIMP and it seems to work just fine...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 01:24:13 AM »
מיכאל

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 01:33:00 AM »
עידוד הגירה ערבית המונית מא''י

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 11:03:56 AM »

Offline NRAJ

• Full JTFer
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 11:31:55 AM »
Reverse the colors there AH,otherwise it would be a big waste of black ink or you would have to find black paper. Even then,I'm not sure if printers even have ink for the color white.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 11:33:54 AM »

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 12:29:30 PM »
Reverse the colors there AH,otherwise it would be a big waste of black ink or you would have to find black paper. Even then,I'm not sure if printers even have ink for the color white.

Actually, Ive never heard of a printing company that charges more per copy based upon how much ink you use.  Its always been a flat rate, but you'd have to ask Chaim.  Ive done prints that are nearly entirely black (On white paper) and they turned out fine. If you want a monocrhome emblem on the back, I could devote some time to this as well, but it all depends on what Chaim wants.

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 02:09:20 PM »
בס''ד

Thank you AH for the effort.

AH, Muman, briann and everyone else - I just want a flyer where the wording is clear, and black and white is cheaper than color flyers. Muman and briann, can you work with AH on this?

I apologize for my complete ignorance about these things. It's really embarrassing that I know so little.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 02:27:07 PM »
בס''ד

AH, Muman, briann and everyone else - I just want a flyer where the wording is clear, and black and white is cheaper than color flyers. Muman and briann, can you work with AH on this?

I apologize for my complete ignorance about these things. It's really embarrassing that I know so little.

Will do.  Im 99% sure the image needs to be vector based (Assuming its monochrome).  Muman if you could create a vector based image with the appropriate text, and include the font your using, that is a start.  Afterwards, AH or I can add in a vector image in the background.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 06:01:56 PM »
I will be available this evening... i am currently at work and cannot help at this time...

I would love to help if I can... I have GIMP and Hebrew language package... If I had the hebrew text I could render it relatively easily...

Thank you,
muman613

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 06:03:35 PM »
בס''ד

Will do.  Im 99% sure the image needs to be vector based (Assuming its monochrome).  Muman if you could create a vector based image with the appropriate text, and include the font your using, that is a start.  Afterwards, AH or I can add in a vector image in the background.

What vector based file format can you work with? I think I can work with SVG {Scalable Vector Graphics}...

I will be home tonight at 8PM PDT...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 07:42:33 PM »

עידוד הגירה ערבית המונית מא"י

על פי סקרים שנערכו בקרב ערביי יש"ע

רוצים לעזוב וזאת מבלי לקבל
פיצויים.

אם מדינת ישראל תציע פיצויים,
אחוז גדול יוחר ירצה לעזוב ובכללם

While at work I accomplished typing the beginning of the text....

If anyone else can contribute time to finishing the hebrew text I will be able to render it in a vector format {SVG} using the Inkscape program...

PS: In the 1 1/2 days I started this I have become more proficient in typing Hebrew into editors... I enjoy learning new things...

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 07:52:26 PM »

עידוד הגירה ערבית המונית מא"י

על פי סקרים שנערכו בקרב ערביי יש"ע

רוצים לעזוב וזאת מבלי לקבל
פיצויים.

אם מדינת ישראל תציע פיצויים,
אחוז גדול יוחר ירצה לעזוב ובכללם

While at work I accomplished typing the beginning of the text....

If anyone else can contribute time to finishing the hebrew text I will be able to render it in a vector format {SVG} using the Inkscape program...

PS: In the 1 1/2 days I started this I have become more proficient in typing Hebrew into editors... I enjoy learning new things...

בס''ד

That might help Muman, but in the final version we need the type of stylish Hebrew font that Ron Ben Michael prepared for the flyer.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 08:11:14 PM »
בס''ד

What vector based file format can you work with? I think I can work with SVG {Scalable Vector Graphics}...

SVG is fine, but actually, if your just going to be sending text, it would be easier just to send it to me as a document (Open office is fine) and include the font ( True Type, Open Type, Type 1 are all fine.)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 08:20:22 PM by briann »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 08:43:44 PM »
בס''ד

SVG is fine, but actually, if your just going to be sending text, it would be easier just to send it to me as a document (Open office is fine) and include the font ( True Type, Open Type, Type 1 are all fine.)

I have found some very nice hebrew fonts in the public domain...

What is it you would like from me? I was thinking I would take the text and render it in a Vector Graphics program like Inkscape and save it as SVG... I could also use openoffice {which I am typing the text in now}...

I was hoping someone who is more familiar with typing Hebrew could type the text because it will take me 30min to an hour to just type this... I have learned most of the letters in the keyboard layout, but sometimes I have to look at the keyboard layout as I type which slows me way down...