Author Topic: Can someone summarize Chaim's diet?  (Read 2984 times)

Offline drew_in_oregon

• New JTFer
Can someone summarize Chaim's diet?
« on: April 18, 2007, 04:41:54 PM »
OK, maybe not his personally, but he often talks about eating "healthy food" but I haven't heard the specifics.  I assume the following:

(a) it's Kosher (applies to Jews, not to gentiles)

(b) avoid fat.  I assume this means red meat and fatty seafood, but that he eats chicken (though not pork, obviously)

(c) avoid junk food and fast food

(d) eat...how much?  I assume "in moderation" - a normal amount so that you're not overweight

However, this still leaves a lot undefined.  When can I buy the Chaim Ben Pesach Diet from the Oprah book club?  :-)

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Can someone summarize Chaim's diet?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 04:30:36 AM »
Anyone know?

Maybe Chaim should write a book.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 07:53:55 PM »
In it's simplest form, Chaim has said many times "If you only eat healthy food, you will lose weight."  Now as to what is healthy is a subject for debate, but he has talked before about a diet rich in fruits and vegetables, as well as lean proteins.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 08:14:31 PM »
Chaim said on JTF.org a few year ago that he avoids the following:

Fat
Salt
Sugar
Dairy
Red Meat
Caffeine

ftf

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 08:27:35 PM »
Red meat can be very nice and not all that unhealthy, if first cooked untill it it is dark brown and preffably slightly black on the exterior.

newman

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 12:21:51 AM »
A little caffein isn't bad. It's been shown to lower chollestorol.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 02:57:22 AM »
Chaim said on JTF.org a few year ago that he avoids the following:

Fat
Salt
Sugar
Dairy
Red Meat
Caffeine

The foods he eats has to have a little fat, sodium and sugar?  For example, almonds have at least 1g sugar/serving as well as some fat. 

What is bad about dairy?

ftf

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 09:32:55 AM »
Why do people always refer to things containing quantities of sodium when what they mean is salt (sodium chloride), pure sodium fizzes and sometimes catches fire when exposed to water, now think how illogical it would be for any food item to contain sodium.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 11:21:55 AM by ftf »

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 10:19:40 AM »
The foods he eats has to have a little fat, sodium and sugar?  For example, almonds have at least 1g sugar/serving as well as some fat.

What is bad about dairy?

If I remember correctly, Chaim tries to avoid saturated animal fat.  The fat from almonds and other nuts is not saturated. 

In terms of dairy, I remember him saying on one show that even low fat milk and yogurt are high in fat.  Honestly I don't understand that, since non-fat yogurt has 1 gram of fat or less.  You might want to ask him about it yourself. 

ftf

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 12:36:02 PM »
If he avoids dairy products, how does he get enough calcium?

newman

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 03:01:10 PM »
My 93 year old, fit-as-a-fiddle grandmother has seen all manner of conflicting dietary studies come and go over her many years. She has eaten at least 1 egg and 2 glasses of full cream milk per day for nearly a century!

As she says..."ALL things in moderation, NOTHING to excess".

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 05:49:54 PM »
FTF, I don't think calcium is as much of an issue for men as it is form women.  After all, men have a greater muscle mass to begin with, and they don't go through the hormonal changes that women do. 

And Newman, there's something to be said about your grandmother's diet. 

Look at the French and Italians.  They eat plenty of cheese, pasta, butter, pork products and foie gras, and they are not fat.  You could say it's because many of them smoke.  On the other hand, I've been to France, and you don't have stores on every block selling junk food, packaged food, and fast food.  In fact, the stores close in the afternoon. 

newman

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 05:58:30 PM »
The secret to the incredibly low heart disease stats with the italians, spaniards and greeks is olive oil. They literally pour it over their food. I forget the science but research deemed olive oil the soul reason.

The French have low obesity rates because they drink wine with every meal except breakfast. Again, I forget the science but they've done a lot of research on it. Too much wine will stack the weight on, but in moderation with meals it works well.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 05:58:04 AM »
FTF, I don't think calcium is as much of an issue for men as it is form women.  After all, men have a greater muscle mass to begin with, and they don't go through the hormonal changes that women do. 

And Newman, there's something to be said about your grandmother's diet. 

Look at the French and Italians.  They eat plenty of cheese, pasta, butter, pork products and foie gras, and they are not fat.  You could say it's because many of them smoke.  On the other hand, I've been to France, and you don't have stores on every block selling junk food, packaged food, and fast food.  In fact, the stores close in the afternoon. 

Cheese and pasta have a lot of calcium?

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2007, 11:10:10 AM »
Why do people always refer to things containing quantities of sodium when what they mean is salt (sodium chloride), pure sodium fizzes and sometimes catachs fire when exposed to water, now think how illogical it would be for any food item to contain sodium.

No, it is quite correct to refer to sodium as the matter of interest is the sodium ions so this could not all be from sodium chloride, it could be from other substances containing sodium. Also red meat which is rare is said to be very good for the digestive system, despite its fattiness.

ftf

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2007, 11:23:02 AM »
Calcium isn't for muscles, it's for bones, if you don't have enough calcium your bones can break incredibly easily.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 11:35:50 AM by ftf »

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 10:26:56 AM »
Does Challah possess anything that would usually be considered unhealthy ?

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 08:52:00 AM »

Calcium is important to help build the bones.  Nothing to do with muscle mass.

If you have a small frame then calcium is more important.   

Some men have a small frame and if they are average strength, they are quite muscular. But muscular or not. If you have a small frame, you should make extra sure you get your calcium.

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2007, 08:20:52 PM »

Calcium is important to help build the bones.  Nothing to do with muscle mass.

If you have a small frame then calcium is more important.   

Some men have a small frame and if they are average strength, they are quite muscular. But muscular or not. If you have a small frame, you should make extra sure you get your calcium.

Couldn't have said it better.

Offline Iron Greek

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 06:58:42 PM »
Chaim told me he survives purely on eating baby carrots with light ranch
and occasionally he will eat a hebrew national just the weiner no bread because he said he didnt like the starch in bread O0

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 04:28:27 AM »
Does Challah possess anything that would usually be considered unhealthy ?

I have seen claims that any more than, or 2 slices of white bread daily, can cause cancer!!

Whether this is correct or not.  All agree that

Wholemeal bread is better.   Just like wholegrain everything is better.

I personally have sensitive bowels, and wholemeal bread makes them go (and thus I would probably lose more nutrients).  But I am better off avoiding white bread and wholemeal, but finding an alternative.
I do have white bread sometimes. But if my bowels could take wholemeal, I would never have white bread. Except a slice of challah on shabbat!

you could get baby challah if you do not want to waste a whole challah by throwing it out!!

I know it`s a shame, a big challah is so tasty, and stays soft for most of the week.. It is white and fluffy, and hard to believe it is unhealthy..   

I can actually detect how much sugar/starch is in me.. I know when I have had too much..
Bread breaks down very quickly into sugar.. 
Wholegrains also break down, but much slower, nd that is far healthier. You get a steady stream of energy.

Chaim`s diet is no doubt very healthy.  But he is in his 50s. Probably not doing lots of exercise.  Young people should eat lots of healthy food.

If one has surplus calories(a unit of energy), even after healthy food, then exercise to use that energy either to improve the heart and lungs or for the muscles like irongreek! Or both.

I am one of the few people on the forum that has to eat MORE!   Though whatever I eat, I do not put on much weight.  Unless I have 3 or 4 weddings in a week, only then do I put on a little bit, which comes off by the end of the week.   Or almost overnight.