Author Topic: Question on proper gun cleaning  (Read 4741 times)

Offline patches

• Senior JTFer
  • To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Question on proper gun cleaning
« on: November 03, 2009, 10:52:53 AM »
I have a question or two on gun cleaning. Is it okay to clean a gun once in awhile, or do you really have to clean it after every time
you shoot it?

Also, when I clean my gun I use hoppes .9, which I wipe off, and then I apply a layer of oil to the barrel and all other metal parts. But should I apply oil EVERY TIME I clean it, or just once in awhile? I heard over-oiling is even worse than not oiling at all.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Re: Question on proper gun cleaning
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 11:18:08 AM »
Even if you don't shoot it you need to keep it maintained.
Cleaning it every once and a while is good to keep it in good working condition

Offline arksis

• Master JTFer
  • Dawn
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 04:18:57 PM »
I like to clean mine at least within 2 days of AFTER I shoot. I also like to keep it oiled, as it prevents any rust. You should just take a look at it and see what it looks like and if it looks dirty/yucky, then I would clean it. I had mine it my purse for awhile in a holster, took it out and looked at it and there was lots of lint on it, I figure the oil must attract lots of yucky stuff, so I knew to at least wipe it down. If there was oil on my rag, then it was ok. Soon after awhile, you get used to your gun and pretty much will know when it needs cleaning.
---Never, ever deal with terrorists. Hunt them down and, more important, mercilessly punish those states and groups that fund, arm, support, or simply allow their territories to be used by the terrorists with impunity.
Meir Kahane

Offline patches

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 04:59:54 PM »
Cool, thanks!

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 07:40:31 PM »
Also unscrew grips and check for rust
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 01:30:03 AM »
You should clean it everytime after shooting with oil. And you should apply a thin layer of oil after the cleaning on it and in the barrel. Before shooting the oil in the barrel has to removed with some wicks, you can pull through the barrel with a small chain. Harder smoke residues you can remove with oil and a toothbrush.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Every Jew AK47

• Master JTFer
  • Am Kahane Chai!
    • Good Music!
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 03:55:50 PM »
A gun runs better wet and dirty, than dry and clean..  Don't forget to keep it lubed.  ARs, you need to clean all the time.. YES!   AKs, you can theoretically throw in the mud, take it out a year later and it will still fire.  However, cleaning all your guns is never a bad idea, especially if your life depends on them.
Please keep the Kahanist movement strong and free of internal strife and drama.

Offline patches

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 04:10:41 PM »
...you should apply a thin layer of oil after the cleaning on it and in the barrel. Before shooting the oil in the barrel has to removed with some wicks, you can pull through the barrel with a small chain.

What would happen if you didn't remove the oil in the barrel before firing it?

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 12:25:27 AM »
...you should apply a thin layer of oil after the cleaning on it and in the barrel. Before shooting the oil in the barrel has to removed with some wicks, you can pull through the barrel with a small chain.

What would happen if you didn't remove the oil in the barrel before firing it?

The projectile is pushing the oil forward, more and more oil is so in front of it and the resistance is growing. It can come to it, that the projectile makes a full stop. Then the barrel becomes a belly because the gas cannot escape.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline patches

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 11:34:50 AM »
Ah, ok.

Offline Every Jew AK47

• Master JTFer
  • Am Kahane Chai!
    • Good Music!
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 02:03:21 PM »
You don't want too much oil in the barrel, you can cause serious damage to the gun and yourself.  Just a very light coating.  You put a bit of oil on a patch or you can use Break Free CLP that already contains a small amount of oil (enough for what you need) and you run it through after your done cleaning.  You then put a dry patch through the barrel to wipe off the excess.    The very think coat left after running the dry patch through the gun will be all you need.   If your using an AR, they like to be run wet, so make sure you spray lube the bolt assembly.  All bolts on guns should receive some lube as that makes them run better.

Remember if your cleaning ARs to clean from the action to through the muzzle, not the muzzle to action, to avoid scarring your rifling.
Please keep the Kahanist movement strong and free of internal strife and drama.