Author Topic: Am I an Idolator?  (Read 4510 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Am I an Idolator?
« on: November 10, 2009, 07:23:30 PM »
This morning while driving into my workplace I had time to think about the events of the last week. As many here know I was involved in a very bad auto accident last Friday. I could have been killed because I was side-swiped by a Mustang, crashed into a cement barrier, was sent spinning out of control, was rammed by an 18-wheel truck, and ended up spinning onto the right shoulder coming to rest 10 feet away from a road work crew.

As a Jew I am always trying to determine 'why' things happen in my life. Jews dont believe in coincidence or luck, we believe in providence from the L-rd G-d himself. We must ask ourselves why do bad things happen to us. So I got to thinking why this happened to me...

The first thought which came to mind is the fact that I have not replaced the Mezzuzah on my front door since it fell off last summer. I have gotten a new Mezzuzah case but it was not the correct size for the mezzuzah scroll which I currently have for it... So the scroll and the new mezzuzah case are sitting on my bimah waiting for me to put it back up. I always worry about this because I believe that a mezzuzah does have a power to prevent bad from happening to the occupants of the house. I don't think of it as an amulet, but I do think that a house without a mezzuzah is looking for problems...

But this morning I had an even more profound insight... One that leads me to fear for my eternal soul...

I am a Mustang lover... I love the Ford Mustang and have loved them since I was a five year old child. All my adult years I yearned to own a Mustang and then in 2003 I finally got my first mustang.... In 2005 I upgraded to the GT 8-cylinder model Mustang and I was looking forward to eventually getting the Mustang Cobra {with the 500HP engine}. I have even gotten into the habit of collecting Mustang models and remote control cars... At my office desk I have 3 Mustang miniatures and I enjoy to look at them...

What struck me as prophetic this morning is the fact that the car which side-swiped me happened to be a Mustang... I began to think that maybe I have built myself an idol and this is what Hashem did to me to remind me not to put so much value in a physical item such as a car. Maybe because of my ascribing power to a car I am being reminded that Hashem is the source of my power and not the car which I drive...

Also last night when I was driving home in my rental car I came to stop at the toll-booth and the toll-collector woman recognized me... She asked me if I had a new car... I asked her if she remembers me and she said "You are the one who drives a Green Mustang GT" and I smiled at her and told her that I was just in an accident... I was shocked that a toll-collector, who must accept tolls from 1000s of drivers a day, was able to recognize me... I do admit that I am a unique looking individual {how many people have long side-curl peyos in the San Francisco bay area?}.

It is not easy to break away from the slave mentality of Mitzrayim {Egypt}... I just listened to Rabbi Schafiers recent lecture posted on A7 news where he talks about this issue of how the Jews in Egypt had a slave mentality which was difficult to break. I really love that car and hope that I can get another mustang {or this one repaired}..... But I am open to the possibility I may not be able to have my wish...

Either way I must be able to put down the idols and worship Hashem without any Desires or Lusts...

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
Re: Am I an Idolator?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 07:29:05 PM »
Oh, I am glad you are alright.... :dance:

This is something to seriously ponder about.

Thankyou for sharing this.

The Christians aren't supposed to be having idols, either.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 08:03:07 PM »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline pennyjangle

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 08:19:14 PM »
God wants to give us our hearts desires but we must put him first in our life's. He prunes us (like a tree) in ways we do not always like or understand but know that it is for our good to become the person He wants us to be. God loves us.
Hasta La Vista Baby!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 08:22:49 PM »
G-d wants to give us our hearts desires but we must put him first in our life's. He prunes us (like a tree) in ways we do not always like or understand but know that it is for our good to become the person He wants us to be. G-d loves us.

I understand this... I am attempting to understand how this bad event is intended for good. A Jew has much more responsibility than the non-Jew because more is expected from us. While you don't have any commandments we have so many it sometimes seems daunting. I know that Hashem loves me, I see his good work every day. I say several blessings each morning, blessings on the beauty of the landscape on my way to work {it is such a beautiful drive}... We are exhorted to say 100 blessings a day.... I hope that some day I will be able to fufill this goal of 100 blessings a day.

Thank you for your wisdom...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 08:24:06 PM »
http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/987904/jewish/How-Many-Blessings-does-a-Jew-Say-Each-Day.htm

Question:

I once heard that there is a certain amount of blessings we should attempt to say each day. How many is it, and what is the source of this idea?

Answer:

There is indeed such a teaching. We are to recite 100 blessings each day. The Talmud1 learns extrapolates this from a verse in Deuteronomy:2 "Now, Israel, what does G‑d, your G‑d, ask of you? . . . to walk in His ways . . . and to serve Him."

The Hebrew word for "what," mah (מָה), is phonetically similar to the word me'ah (מֵאָה), which means 100. In other words, the verse can be understood as saying: "Now, Israel, a hundred does G‑d, your G‑d, ask of you"—one hundred blessings.

There's a story behind this tradition. During the reign of Kind David, there was terrible plague that took the lives of exactly 100 people each day. The rabbis at the time perceived the plague's spiritual cause and instituted the practice of reciting 100 blessings per day. The plague immediately stopped.3

Saying 100 blessings is easier than you think. By just praying three times a day and reciting blessings before and after you eat, you will reach that total. Looking for the breakdown? You'll find it in the Code of Jewish Law.4

Reaching the total on Shabbat is a little trickier. The Shabbat Amidah consists of only seven blessings, as opposed to the nineteen that comprise its weekday counterpart. Several other blessings are also absent on Shabbat, such as the blessing over tefillin. Even counting the Musaf Amidah and the Grace after Meals for two Shabbat meals, somewhat of a deficit remains. (Four Shabbat Amidahs = 28; three weekday Amidahs = 57...)

The solution? Eat some extra snacks throughout the day. The blessings before and each snack will add up.5

Yom Kippur is even harder. With the shorter amidahs, and without any food blessings, the only solution is to make blessings over fragrant spices, fruit or herbs.6 In some communities, spice boxes are passed around the synagogue on Yom Kippur for this very reason.7 We compensate for the remaining blessings by answering Amen to the blessings on the Torah.

Let me know if this helps.

Yours truly,

Rabbi Yisroel Cotlar
FOOTNOTES

Menachot 43b.

10:12.

Midrash Tanchuma, Korach 12.

Alter Rebbe's Shulchan Aruch, Orach Chaim 46:1.

If this is not possible, answering Amen to the blessings before and after each aliyah during the reading of the Torah can be included in the count.

Alter Rebbe's Shulchan Aruch, ibid.

However, a substantial amount of time must elapse before one can repeat the blessing on spices on another aromatic product.

Offline pennyjangle

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 05:41:22 PM »
I understand this... I am attempting to understand how this bad event is intended for good. A Jew has much more responsibility than the non-Jew because more is expected from us. While you don't have any commandments we have so many it sometimes seems daunting. I know that Hashem loves me, I see his good work every day. I say several blessings each morning, blessings on the beauty of the landscape on my way to work {it is such a beautiful drive}... We are exhorted to say 100 blessings a day.... I hope that some day I will be able to fufill this goal of 100 blessings a day.
[/quote]

We do have the 10 commandments + one more we are to love everyone. God said if you love me you will keep my commandments. My cousin told me there are, I think it was 613 commandments in the Torah.
Hasta La Vista Baby!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 05:56:41 PM »

We do have the 10 commandments + one more we are to love everyone. G-d said if you love me you will keep my commandments. My cousin told me there are, I think it was 613 commandments in the Torah.
[/quote]

Penny,

I dont really understand... How do you have 10 commandments? I can think of three commandments which Christians cannot follow...

1) The second command concerning making of images
2) The command to have no G-d before Hashem.
3) The observation of Shabbat.

So maybe you are talking about the seven noachide laws...

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 07:26:28 PM »
1) The second command concerning making of images
2) The command to have no G-d before Hashem.
3) The observation of Shabbat.

So maybe you are talking about the seven noachide laws...
We do hold to these (at least the first two), as well as the Noahide Laws; the debate is only in the interpretation. Acts 15:29 in the New Testament essentially repeats the Noahide Laws in condensed form.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 07:30:24 PM »
But according to Judaism Hashem and Jesus are two different "beings" so how can Christians follow the first two commandments?

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 07:32:03 PM »
But according to Judaism Hashem and Jesus are two different "beings" so how can Christians follow the first two commandments?
That is not what orthodox Christian theology teaches. Some cults of Christianity, like the J-----h's Witnesses do indeed teach that Jesus and G-d are separate deities, but mainstream Christianity absolutely does not hold to this.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 07:33:34 PM »
That is not what orthodox Christian theology teaches. Some cults of Christianity, like the J-----h's Witnesses do indeed teach that Jesus and G-d are separate deities, but mainstream Christianity absolutely does not hold to this.

Yeah sorry I forgot about that, what I meant was Hashem and Jesus created 2 different religions.

Offline pennyjangle

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 07:33:59 PM »

Muman613,
 I answered you in PM.
Hasta La Vista Baby!

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 07:40:08 PM »
Yeah sorry I forgot about that, what I meant was Hashem and Jesus created 2 different religions.
Not sure I understand.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 07:42:03 PM »
Not sure I understand.

Nevermind, I don't understand either. Sorry.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 07:46:18 PM »
According to Christianity, Jesus is Hashem. Judaism disagrees about that of course but either way, we are monotheists, because we believe that Jesus is one and the same with G-d.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 07:49:47 PM »
According to Christianity, Jesus is Hashem. Judaism disagrees about that of course but either way, we are monotheists, because we believe that Jesus is one and the same with G-d.

But Christians weren't taken out of Egypt as per the first ten commandment, now I remember that's what I meant to say, so Chrisitians can't be obligated to believe in it.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 08:23:35 PM »
Fair point, and I also acknowledged to Muman too that the shabbat commandment probably does not directly apply to us too. But we do believe that the Ten Commandments did take place and do apply to the Jews.

Christians do believe in a condensed form of the Noahide Laws, found in Acts 15:29.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 07:25:49 AM »

But is Catholic Church considered "mainstream" ?  They DO speak of praying to the father vs. praying to the son, etc...    This does imply there is a difference.   But anyway, whatever.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 11:44:43 AM »
But is Catholic Church considered "mainstream" ?  They DO speak of praying to the father vs. praying to the son, etc...    This does imply there is a difference.  But anyway, whatever.
Yes it is, and what you describe is a very complicated topic. The Trinity is difficult even for Christians to understand. The best analogy for the Trinity is the various different aspects of the human mind--we have rational, emotional, and philosophical capacities that are distinct, but yet all very much part of the normal human consciousness.

Offline ✡ Hindu Zionist ॐ

• Master JTFer
  • India- Most pro-Israel country of the world!
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 11:49:54 AM »
i dont think its about you being idolator, it can be called as being more materialistic. I do think you are a spiritual person, but then it is very difficult to overcome worldly desires in this day and age.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 12:04:07 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theistic_Satanism

(warning, G-d's holy, unspeakable name is mentioned in this article)

Quote from: Wikipedia
...they view Y***** as the demiurge and Satan as the transcendent being beyond, of whom they seek knowledge. J****** they believe is a creation of Satan[39] and lies about his powers, and so his Bible is not to be trusted.[39] Satan they believe is about freedom as opposed to all the rules and commandments of Christianity.[39] Eating the fruit of the tree also meant that humans could not be immortal, and must make the most of their time on earth.[39]

Like Islam, theistic Satanism does not outright deny our biblical history, it just promotes the absurd idea that the Bible has been corrupted and falsified by Jews/Christians to hide the "real" truth (i.e. that Satan is the supreme being).

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 01:10:34 PM »

Like Islam, theistic Satanism does not outright deny our biblical history, it just promotes the absurd idea that the Bible has been corrupted and falsified by Jews/Christians to hide the "real" truth (i.e. that Satan is the supreme being).

So?  I don't get it.

Two things having a similarity does not make them the same thing.   And I will reiterate that the Rambam understood deeply the Muslim theology.   He was well familiar also with the Kalam which he refutes extensively in Moreh Nevuchim.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 01:59:09 PM »
I didn't say they are identical, just that of all the world religions I know of, theistic Satanism comes closest to Islam both in its deity structure and its content.

What is Kalam?

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 02:01:58 PM »
Maybe a muslim thing, hey i was right             http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalam
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03