Author Topic: Jewish Holy Leader  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
Jewish Holy Leader
« on: November 15, 2009, 04:54:19 PM »
Do Jewish people have a Holy leader like the Christian Pope? Or is there many leaders, and if so are they called sages. Forgive me for my ignorance.
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Jewish Holy Leader
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 04:55:51 PM »
There is no one central 'Jewish Leader'. Each group in Orthodox Judaism has its own Rabbi which they follow.

We do believe that when Moshiach comes the entire Jewish nation will know that he has come, and then return to Israel. He will be the ultimate Jewish leader.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 04:57:24 PM »
There is no one central 'Jewish Leader'. Each group in Orthodox Judaism has its own Rabbi which they follow.

We do believe that when Moshiach comes the entire Jewish nation will know that he has come, and then return to Israel. He will be the ultimate Jewish leader.

But I thought Rabbis were priest's.
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 05:07:01 PM »

No, Rabbis are not priests, they are teachers... The priests from Torah are the Kohenim, but there is no Temple for them to serve in... Since the destruction of the temple the only people who keep the Jewish people Jewish are the Rabbis who teach us the Torah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbi

Rabbi (pronounced /ˈræbaɪ/, Hebrew for "my master") is the term in Judaism for a religious teacher. The word rabbi derives from the Hebrew root word רַב, rav, which in biblical Hebrew means ‘great’ in many senses, including "revered." The word comes from the Semitic root R-B-B, and is cognate to Arabic ربّ rabb, meaning "lord" (generally used when talking about G-d, but also about temporal lords). As a sign of great respect, some great rabbis are simply called "The Rav."

With the destruction of the two Temples in Jerusalem, the end of the Jewish monarchy, and the decline of the dual instititutions of prophets and the priesthood, the focus of scholarly and spiritual leadership within the Jewish people shifted to the sages of the Men of the Great Assembly (Anshe Knesset HaGedolah). This assembly was composed of the earliest group of "rabbis" in the more modern sense of the word, in large part because they began the formulation and explication of what became known as Judaism's "Oral Law (Torah SheBe'al Peh). This was eventually encoded and codified within the Mishnah and Talmud and subsequent rabbinical scholarship, leading to what is known as Rabbinic Judaism.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 05:10:50 PM »
Moshiach Moshiach Moshiach!! oyoyoyoyoyoyoy!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 05:14:11 PM »

There are rabbis for a synagogue or a local community, but there are also rabbis who's authority is accepted by a whole certain group. Each group calls its leader differently. For example, Chassidic leaders are called Admor (which is an acronym for "our leader, teacher and rabbi") and Sephardic chief rabbi is called Rishon le-Zion (the first in Zion).
Do not put your trust in princes, nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help (Psalms 146:3)

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 05:19:15 PM »

So is the temple not allowed to b build until The Messiah comes, or is it corruption of Israelie government. And when the Temple will be built again, will there be priests in Israel again.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 05:21:13 PM »
The Tzaddik is another important figure in some/most Chassidic Jewish sects. The Tzaddik for Breslov Judaism, the Chassidic sect my family emerged from in the Ukraine, is Rabbi Nachman of Breslov, ztl. His wisdom is accepted by many Orthodox rabbis of today and I have heard him quoted by Chabad rabbis. Chabbads Tzadik is now Rabbi Schneerson of blessed memory. The Tzadik is the center of religious and spiritual thought. I believe that the Tzadik is important and I wish I had the pleasure of experiencing Rabbi Schneerson while he was alive.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 05:22:41 PM »

So is the temple not allowed to b build until The Messiah comes, or is it corruption of Israelie government. And when the Temple will be built again, will there be priests in Israel again.

This is a complex issue...

Some sects of Judaism believe that we should not build until Moshiach comes...

Other sects believe that we must make an effort to rebuild the Temple and then Moshiach will come...

Some believe that the Temple will miraculously fall from heaven... It is a minority opinion which many anti-zionists hold on to. I am of the belief that we must make an effort to rebuild and then Moshiach will come.

And yes, there are those who are preparing for the day when the priests will once again resume the Holy service in the Temple. The Kaleem, the vessels which are used in the Temple have been prepared by an organization called The Temple Mount Institute { http://www.templeinstitute.org/ } . I look forward to the day when we can all resume the offerings.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 05:28:58 PM by muman613 »

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 05:30:47 PM »

So is the temple not allowed to b build until The Messiah comes, or is it corruption of Israeli government. And when the Temple will be built again, will there be priests in Israel again.

This is a complex issue...

Some sects of Judaism believe that we should not build until Moshiach comes...

Other sects believe that we must make an effort to rebuild the Temple and then Moshiach will come...

Some believe that the Temple will miraculously fall from heaven... It is a minority opinion which many anti-zionists hold on to. I am of the belief that we must make an effort to rebuild and then Moshiach will come.

And yes, there are those who are preparing for the day when the priests will once again resume the Holy service in the Temple. The Kaleem, the vessels which are used in the Temple have been prepared by an organization called The Temple Mount Institute { http://www.templeinstitute.org/ } . I look forward to the day when we can all resume the offerings.

Breathtaking pictures. Thanks muman for your wisdom.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 05:34:28 PM »
Regarding Israel and the political situation...

Yes, current Israeli government is too weak to stand up and do something which would be seen as too Jewish by the world. You know that this government is not particularly religious {to put it mildly}. So we just wait and try to dream of the day when we have a strong leader who is listened to by the majority of the Jewish people.

Hashem called us a stiff-necked people and we surely have turned out that way. But I have absolute belief that the day will come when the promised redeemer of the Jewish nation will be sent.

Thank you for your kind words...

muman613

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 01:43:03 AM »

There is commandment to build the Temple.  That is an obligation on the Jewish people at all times.  Sometimes it is not possible, and sometimes it is possible to carry out that commandment.  But it is a binding mitzvah (commandment) regardless. 

There are some Jewish authorities that believe the Temple will fall from the sky by itself, sent by G-d.   There are some who say that because of that, we can't build it until moschiach comes.   But there is no real source to this in Jewish law that we must wait for moschiach in order to fulfill a mitzvah, particularly the mitzvah to build the temple.  It is patently illogical to say such things. 

It is both the Israeli establishment that does not care one iota about what the Torah has to say, but it is also the religious establishment and many rabbis who also prevent a Temple from being built because they insist that we are religiously forbidden to do so.   There are some rabbis who disagree with this and are very vocal about our obligations to build.   No one can really refute them.   They are the ones willing to take the practical steps to hopefully lead to a situation where it is possible to build the Temple.   They are few in number, but hopefully their ranks will grow.

Offline bobish

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 08:54:41 AM »
Is there an idea about when Moshiach comes?

In our lifetime?

Or are there many different ideas about it?

bob

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 09:58:48 AM »
correct me if I'm wrong, but the moshiach can come in any current or future lifetime...but no one here is a prophet nor son of a prophet...best to be the best person you can be, put your faith in Gd, be a righteous person...and when and if the moshiach comes, he'll come.  Don't sit and wait for it...just be...

In our lifetime?

bob
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 10:18:18 AM »
correct me if I'm wrong, but the moshiach can come in any current or future lifetime...but no one here is a prophet nor son of a prophet...best to be the best person you can be, put your faith in Gd, be a righteous person...and when and if the moshiach comes, he'll come.  Don't sit and wait for it...just be...

In our lifetime?

bob
Waddup Doc? There are several diff views. I just finished a book on this stuff.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 10:52:07 AM »
The simple answer is that Moshiach is expected to come before the year 6000. We are currently in the year 5770 which means that Moshiach will come within the next 230 years.... It is believed that there are two scenarios.... 1) We can perfect ourselves and merit the coming of Moshiach, this is called 'the easy way'.... 2) The world can devolve into war and chaos and the Jewish people can fall to the lowest of spiritual levels, like we did in Egypt, and Hashem will have to send Moshiach before the Jewish people evaporate and this is called 'the hard way'...

So that is the simple answer..

http://www.aish.com/jl/kc/48931432.html

Thus, we find two contradictory concepts regarding the advent of the Messianic Era in the Bible. There are many passages which indicate that the Messianic Era will be ushered in with miracles, such as, "In visions of the night, I beheld the likes of a human being who came with the clouds of heaven… and he was given… an everlasting dominion which will never pass away" (Daniel 7:13-14).

On the other hand, numerous passages indicate that the Messiah will come in a more prosaic manner, such as "Behold, your king comes to you… humble and riding upon a donkey" (Zechariah 9:9). Here again, we are taught that there are two basic ways in which the Messianic Era can commence. If Israel is worthy, it will indeed by accompanied by heavenly miracles. If not, the Messianic Era will arrive through an apparently natural unfolding of historical events. In either case, God Himself will guide the forces of history to eventually bring about the Messianic Era.

Redemption will not come all at once, but gradually, in a natural manner.

Many of our sages maintained that there would be very little difference between now and the onset of the Messianic Era except with respect to Israel's subjugation by other governments. Similarly, we are taught that the redemption will not come all at once, but gradually, in a natural manner.

Nevertheless, the Messiah can come at any time, totally without warning. The reason for this is that many of the traditions regarding events which will precede the Messianic Era are contingent upon factors known only to God. Not all are necessary conditions for the redemption. It is for this reason that one should not attempt to calculate the date of the coming of the Messiah. Our sages thus taught, "May the soul of those who calculate the end rot."
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 11:01:08 AM by muman613 »

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 12:13:07 PM »
The simple answer is that Moshiach is expected to come before the year 6000. We are currently in the year 5770 which means that Moshiach will come within the next 230 years.... It is believed that there are two scenarios.... 1) We can perfect ourselves and merit the coming of Moshiach, this is called 'the easy way'.... 2) The world can devolve into war and chaos and the Jewish people can fall to the lowest of spiritual levels, like we did in Egypt, and Hashem will have to send Moshiach before the Jewish people evaporate and this is called 'the hard way'...

Looks like we're taking the hard way.  ::)
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 02:26:47 PM »
What if it doesn't happen by then?  What do the rabbis say?

So that is the simple answer..

http://www.aish.com/jl/kc/48931432.html

Thus, we find two contradictory concepts regarding the advent of the Messianic Era in the Bible. There are many passages which indicate that the Messianic Era will be ushered in with miracles, such as, "In visions of the night, I beheld the likes of a human being who came with the clouds of heaven… and he was given… an everlasting dominion which will never pass away" (Daniel 7:13-14).

On the other hand, numerous passages indicate that the Messiah will come in a more prosaic manner, such as "Behold, your king comes to you… humble and riding upon a donkey" (Zechariah 9:9). Here again, we are taught that there are two basic ways in which the Messianic Era can commence. If Israel is worthy, it will indeed by accompanied by heavenly miracles. If not, the Messianic Era will arrive through an apparently natural unfolding of historical events. In either case, G-d Himself will guide the forces of history to eventually bring about the Messianic Era.

Redemption will not come all at once, but gradually, in a natural manner.

Many of our sages maintained that there would be very little difference between now and the onset of the Messianic Era except with respect to Israel's subjugation by other governments. Similarly, we are taught that the redemption will not come all at once, but gradually, in a natural manner.

Nevertheless, the Messiah can come at any time, totally without warning. The reason for this is that many of the traditions regarding events which will precede the Messianic Era are contingent upon factors known only to G-d. Not all are necessary conditions for the redemption. It is for this reason that one should not attempt to calculate the date of the coming of the Messiah. Our sages thus taught, "May the soul of those who calculate the end rot."

If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2009, 02:33:32 PM »
We believe it will happen by then... I dont think there is any doubt...

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/607585/jewish/Significance-of-the-year-6000.htm
http://ohr.edu/ask_db/ask_main.php/87/Q2/
http://www.jewishanswers.org/ask-the-rabbi-category/the-basics-of-judaism/?p=998

How do we know that the world will end in the year 6,000? There are many differing contexts of the coming of the Messiah has anyone sorted out the contexts so that we can gauge a clear view?

Here are some sources for the world lasting six thousand years:

Talmud, Tractate Sanhedrin [97a]: “Rav Kattina said: ‘The world will exist for 6000 years and one (thousand) of destruction’ ... We have a teaching which is in agreement with Rav Kattina, as the seventh is the sabbatical year – one in seven years. Likewise the world will rest 1,000 in 7000 … ‘a thousand years in Your eyes are like yesterday which has passed …’ [Psalms 90:4].”

Talmud, Tractate Avodah Zarah [9a]: “The world will exist for six thousand years: two millennia of void (‘tohu’); Two millennia of Torah; and then two millennia of the age of Moshiach.”

Nachmanides, Commentary on the Torah (Genesis 2:3), quoting Kabbalistic sources: “Each of the Six Days of Creation corresponds to a 1,000 year period of future history.”

As for a clearer view of what it will be like when Moshiach comes, the basic answer is: a lot better than this.

From the Prophets, Talmud and Midrashim, we know what universal changes Moshiach will bring about. Among them: the whole world will return to God and His teachings; the entire Jewish People will be gathered back to the Land of Israel; the royal dynasty of King David will be restored; Jerusalem and the Third Temple will be rebuilt; the Temple service will be restored, along with the keeping of the Sabbatical Year (Shmitah) and the Jubilee Year (Yovel); the Sanhedrin, the religious supreme court of the Jewish people, will be reestablished.

No big deal, right?

In what order and in exactly what manner these events will occur, we do not know. G-d did not reveal the future that clearly to us. We do know certain ways that it cannot happen in any way which contradicts the Torah.

There are sources that do an excellent job of laying out clearly everything we do know about Moshiach. In English, the two best sources are The Handbook of Jewish Thought, Volume II, by Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan and The Way of G-d (Derech Hashem) by Rabbi Moshe Chaim Luzatto.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 03:14:03 PM »
Some sources believe it has already started.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 12:36:58 AM »
This video should answer some questions.

http://universaltorah.com/programming/2009/11/17/the-temple-and-moshiach-part-ii.htm

Light to the Nations – with Rabbi Chaim Richman of The Temple Institute.

Weekly series with new teachings available every Thursday.

We long for moshiach, and anxiously anticipate his arrival. But building the Holy Temple is the responsibility of the nation of Israel, and need not be delayed until moshiach has arrived.

Visit us: www.templeinstitute.org/

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 06:08:02 AM »
You didn't answer my question.

What if in the 6001ist year the world remained the same?  Do we bury our head in the sand and say "oye oye oye there is no Gd!". Gd forbid?

I'm sure there is a rabbi out there that has answer for that.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 06:12:48 AM »
I mean in the 6001st year and no moshiach do we just give up and say, "oh that's it, Gd lied"?  Gd forbid.

I would think the best answer would be: " even if our prediction of when he is coming is wrong we will continue striving for the ideal Torah life as he does come"

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2009, 01:25:07 PM »
I'm sure that not every rabbi holds of the 6,000 year thing.  Because after all, there are many Orthodox rabbis who do not believe the buba maiseh that the world is only 6,000 years old (there is not a single source for that).   So it's only natural that that time is also not the "end of the world"   Or whatever.    That 6,000 years thing can be metaphor or mashul.  It is aggada afterall.    But anyway, hopefully redemption will come even sooner than that date.   If it doesn't come we keep trying, that's all.   Only unreasonable/illogical people will lose hope if it doesn't come by a certain date.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2009, 01:58:57 PM »
I'm sure that not every rabbi holds of the 6,000 year thing.  Because after all, there are many Orthodox rabbis who do not believe the buba maiseh that the world is only 6,000 years old (there is not a single source for that).   So it's only natural that that time is also not the "end of the world"   Or whatever.    That 6,000 years thing can be metaphor or mashul.  It is aggada afterall.    But anyway, hopefully redemption will come even sooner than that date.   If it doesn't come we keep trying, that's all.   Only unreasonable/illogical people will lose hope if it doesn't come by a certain date.

But there is certainly plenty of sources for this in the Talmud.