Author Topic: Smoker sues tobacco company and wins verdict. 300 million  (Read 3485 times)

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
Smoker sues tobacco company and wins verdict. 300 million
« on: November 20, 2009, 02:24:45 PM »
http://news.aol.com/article/former-smoker-cindy-naugle-wins-300m/776382

Stupid lawsuit.  As much as I am against smoking, this person knew the health risks. 
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Smoker sues tobacco company and wins verdict. 300 million
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 04:58:04 PM »
I agree somewhat. I mean, as a former smoker (2 weeks and 2 days smokefree! :dance:) I know the risks, so I couldn't imagine winning a suite like that. But a man could dream.....

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 05:06:37 PM »
300 million for what. Was this person illiterate? Did this person know what cancers is? Maybe I should smoke 1 cigarette and sue them because it made me cough. That judge should be fired.
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 10:31:21 PM »
300 million for what. Was this person illiterate? Did this person know what cancers is? Maybe I should smoke 1 cigarette and sue them because it made me cough. That judge should be fired.

I agree with you.....
It's called "free will"........

Offline Secularbeliever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 10:46:15 PM »
I agree somewhat. I mean, as a former smoker (2 weeks and 2 days smokefree! :dance:) I know the risks, so I couldn't imagine winning a suite like that. But a man could dream.....
Congatulations on quitting.  Hope you stick with it.
We all need to pray for Barack Obama, may the Lord provide him a safe move back to Chicago in January 2,013.

Moshe92

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 10:59:43 PM »
I agree with you guys. That person is a moocher. However, I don't feel bad for the tobacco company for having to pay 300 million dollars.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 11:02:49 PM »
I agree with you guys. That person is a moocher. However, I don't feel bad for the tobacco company for having to pay 300 million dollars.
pocket change. I wonder how THAT was won? Defeating a tobacco giant like Phillip Morris ain't like taking candy from a baby.

Offline arksis

• Master JTFer
  • Dawn
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 08:26:31 AM »
Congrats on quitting smoking Mo! I know how difficult it can be UGH! My husband quit in January, it will be a year soon, I'm so proud of him. For me, the first couple weeks were the easiest, it was AFTER that it was so difficult I relapsed. As for the lawsuit, how could anyone in their right mind give this person so much money for something they should have taken responsibility for?! Seems no one has to take responsibility for the choices they make anymore and THAT is what upsets me the most.
---Never, ever deal with terrorists. Hunt them down and, more important, mercilessly punish those states and groups that fund, arm, support, or simply allow their territories to be used by the terrorists with impunity.
Meir Kahane

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 08:46:17 AM »
Thanks arksis.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 09:04:17 AM »
Just asked my friend about this case. He's a lawyer who defends big companies. Hopefully he'll shed some light on how this is possible and I will share it with you guys so we can all have a better understanding.

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 11:16:30 AM »
Some of these lawsuits are outrageous, this one in paticular is as outrageous!

I wonder who paid her to sue them?
These types of lawsuits are filed to put the Tobacco Companies under and I wouldn't be surprised if some of these people are paid to file these suits.

One other case....off topic but I'd like to mention it anyway.....a man robs some family while they are on vacation, he gets stuck in their garage for 7 days and he eats dog food to survive. After he is found and arrested, he is released only to sue the family later for ' Distress of eating Dog Food for 7 days ' and wins in Court!
Do any of you remember when the old woman who got Millions from Mac Donalds for spilling hot coffee on herself? How many of us have spilled hot coffee on ourselves?

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 11:21:22 AM »
Some of these lawsuits are outrageous, this one in paticular is as outrageous!

I wonder who paid her to sue them?
These types of lawsuits are filed to put the Tobacco Companies under and I wouldn't be surprised if some of these people are paid to file these suits.

One other case....off topic but I'd like to mention it anyway.....a man robs some family while they are on vacation, he gets stuck in their garage for 7 days and he eats dog food to survive. After he is found and arrested, he is released only to sue the family later for ' Distress of eating Dog Food for 7 days ' and wins in Court!
Do any of you remember when the old woman who got Millions from Mac Donalds for spilling hot coffee on herself? How many of us have spilled hot coffee on ourselves?

Where's the link to the dog food thing?

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 11:36:05 AM »
Good Morning Mo....I would have to search for it and post a link. This happened years ago and I got the information from an email that was sent to me. The email was about the top ten worst lawsuits.

Mo, here are 2 links.
http://www.dumb-lawsuits.com/a-pain-in-the-butt/

http://lexicon.typepad.com/lexicon/2004/07/the_phony_lawsu.html

Shalom - Dox     
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 11:49:55 AM by Republicandox »

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 11:52:27 AM »
Student sued school after being awakened by teacher
A 16-year-old Connecticut high school student who fell asleep in class alleged he suffered substantial hearing loss when his math teacher smacked her palm down on his desk to wake him up while she was teaching, so his parents decided to sue Danbury High School, the Connecticut Board of Education and the city of Danbury on his behalf.

Attorney Alan Barry says 15-year-old Vinicios Robacher suffered pain and "very severe injuries to his left eardrum" when teacher Melissa Nadeau abruptly slammed the palm of her hand on his desk. Vinicios has been teased by students at school ever since.

Customer sued dry cleaner for $65 million over lost pants
Roy Pearson Jr, a judge in Washington, tried to bully a family-owned dry
cleaning shop by suing the owners for $54 million in damages after they lost his pants. The case demoralized the South Korean immigrant owners of the business and brought demands that the customer be disbarred and removed from office for pursuing a frivolous and abusive claim. Pearson's lawsuit against Custom Cleaners of Northwest D.C. eventually ended with a U.S. District Judge finding for the defendants. Pearson later indicated that he would appeal.

;D ;D ;D
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 12:37:08 PM »
Here's what my friend said:

I pulled up the article, but it doesn't give any of the facts.

You're assuming that the facts are well known because they have been in your lifetime.  We don't know when this person started smoking and what risks were made known to the public then.  The tobacco companies, however, evidently knew of the risks long before they were required to tell the public about them.  There is also the addictive quality of cigarette smoking that the companies knew about.  So even if a smoker knew that long-term smoking could cause cancer, they might "take the risk" because they assumed that they could always just stop smoking long before it got to the point of being risky.  If they weren't made aware of the risks of becoming addicted (which the companies were aware of), the fact that plaintiff might have known that smoking could cause cancer would not be the end of the story.

There's also a cumulative effect, when it comes to the tobacco companies.  They have had a lot of bad PR where they held up their right hands in front of Congress, various movies about whistle-blowers in the tobacco industry, disclosure of "smoking gun" documents (pardon the expression), etc., all of which has a subtle effect on jurors, even if they profess otherwise during jury selection.   For there to be a $300 million verdict, the jury would have had to be angry at the defendant, usually because of smoking gun documents, company witnesses made to look like liars on the witness stand, what the jury perceives to be unfair or dirty tactics on the part of defense counsel, etc.   Unless the facts of the case and the trial are made known, I can only speculate.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 12:44:05 PM »
Good Morning Mo....I would have to search for it and post a link. This happened years ago and I got the information from an email that was sent to me. The email was about the top ten worst lawsuits.

Mo, here are 2 links.
http://www.dumb-lawsuits.com/a-pain-in-the-butt/

http://lexicon.typepad.com/lexicon/2004/07/the_phony_lawsu.html

Shalom - Dox     
Thanks Dox. I have a hard time believing these cases exist though,lol.

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 03:24:13 PM »
You're welcome Mo.

I have a difficult time believing them myself, but these cases do exist and sometimes the crooks win.

Shalom - Dox

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 07:08:11 PM »
Maybe I should sue a few of you people for putting uglie Moolies on this forum.. Before, during and after meal intakes that may endure projecting vometing.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 07:11:54 PM »
Maybe I should sue a few of you people for putting uglie Moolies on this forum.. Before, during and after meal intakes that may endure projecting vometing.

Not before I sue you for spelling ugly incorrectly. It could set a bad example and teach false things to our children. :o :o :o

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 07:24:16 PM »

Not before I sue you for spelling ugly incorrectly. It could set a bad example and teach false things to our children. :o :o :o

I was getting down with the Moolification

Offline pennyjangle

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 08:33:19 PM »
Whatever you do Mo don't take that first smoke, take a walk instead. I've been off cigarettes 4yrs, before that I've quit for 10 yrs and went back.
Hasta La Vista Baby!

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 08:58:05 PM »
Whatever you do Mo don't take that first smoke, take a walk instead. I've been off cigarettes 4yrs, before that I've quit for 10 yrs and went back.

We'll see what happens. The last 2 weeks haven't been great.

Offline arksis

• Master JTFer
  • Dawn
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 07:53:49 AM »

Please hang in there! The first 2 weeks were the easy part for me, it was AFTER that, that was so difficult. My girlfriend used the Nicotrol inhaler and it really helped her, but most that quit, did it cold turkey and stuck with it. Just keep thinking about how much they cost, the smell and whatever else turns you OFF about smoking and that will really help. Hang in there!
---Never, ever deal with terrorists. Hunt them down and, more important, mercilessly punish those states and groups that fund, arm, support, or simply allow their territories to be used by the terrorists with impunity.
Meir Kahane

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 08:46:24 AM »

Never smoked and never cared for it. I was also never pressured into it.
The worst thing I do to myself is eat junk food sometimes.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2009, 08:58:23 AM »

Please hang in there! The first 2 weeks were the easy part for me, it was AFTER that, that was so difficult. My girlfriend used the Nicotrol inhaler and it really helped her, but most that quit, did it cold turkey and stuck with it. Just keep thinking about how much they cost, the smell and whatever else turns you OFF about smoking and that will really help. Hang in there!
Thanks. I love the smell though. ;D ;D