Author Topic: Haredims and Kahanists ?  (Read 12386 times)

Offline ✡ Hindu Zionist ॐ

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • India- Most pro-Israel country of the world!
Haredims and Kahanists ?
« on: December 03, 2009, 11:41:06 AM »
I want to clear some concepts here. According to information i researched over the internet... The Haredims seem to be very close to Jewish belief, and they seem more pro-active. (In a way that they respond to injustice meted out on the jews). Given that Kahanists are not very much allowed to put their philosophy into actions in Israel today. Haredims do seem to bring some hope.

Unfortunately there is lot of propoganda on the internet. Read through some sources that Haredims are not exactly Zionists. Also that haredims are disconnected from the local israeli populace (is this true?). But they would do anything to protect jewish life, something that should be done by all means in Israel.

So where do Haredims and Kahanists stand when it comes to national key issues?

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Haredims and Kahanists ?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 11:47:27 AM »
I want to clear some concepts here. According to information i researched over the internet... The Haredims seem to be very close to Jewish belief, and they seem more pro-active. (In a way that they respond to injustice meted out on the jews). Given that Kahanists are not very much allowed to put their philosophy into actions in Israel today. Haredims do seem to bring some hope.

Unfortunately there is lot of propoganda on the internet. Read through some sources that Haredims are not exactly Zionists. Also that haredims are disconnected from the local israeli populace (is this true?). But they would do anything to protect jewish life, something that should be done by all means in Israel.

So where do Haredims and Kahanists stand when it comes to national key issues?
Ir really depends on who you talk to. There are levels of charedism. For the most part, the ones I know are pretty much Zionists, too. I mean all (normal) Jews want Israel to prosper and other Jews to be happy.

Offline wonga66

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 12:53:44 PM »
Rabbi Kahane always said that "the Haredim are irrelevant!". And shame to tell, this is basically true!

Witness the 2005 Hitnatkut: apart from a handful of Lubavitchers, not one Haredi took part in the demonstrations against the dastardly Gaza Deportation of their fellow Jews.

Had even a few % of the Haredim with their vast numbers taken part, it would have blocked the whole deportation.

There were no calls at all by Haredi leaders, politicians, rebbes, ravs or roshei yeshivahs to demonstrate. And the Haredi parties kept Sharon's government afloat during it, in exchange for $$$!

Offline IsraeliGovtAreKapos

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 12:56:52 PM »
                                                                          בס"ד

Rabbi Ya'akof Yosef Shalita, Rabbi Morechai Eliyahu Shalita HaShem Yishmerehu V'Yechayehu, Rabbi Dov Wolpe Shalita openly support Kahanism and admire Rabbi Kahana.

Also there is a large group called Charedim Leumi'im who are mostly Kahanists and Rabbi Kahana himself was a Chareidi Le'umi. There are many Charedim who live in Judea and Samaria and the Chabad, Breslvev etc Hasiduyot are awesome.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 01:43:48 PM by Ron Ben Michael »

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 07:09:58 AM »
Ron, the names you mentioned here.. DO they have political influence among the masses?

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 07:54:40 AM »
There is a relatively small group of Charedim that are anti-zionist, isolated, and they don't even vote for the knesset. But even the other Charedim are politically very selfish. I mean they vote monolithically to the same two hideous parties (Yahadut hatorah- for ashkenazim, Shas- for sfaradim). They might send thousands of people to block the construction of a new rail road building or whatever if there is an old and likely not even Jewish burial site, but when the government destroys living settlements including their synagogues and grave yard, and expel righteous religious Jews from their homes- the Charedim are silent.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 10:51:24 AM »
They might send thousands of people to block the construction of a new rail road building or whatever if there is an old and likely not even Jewish burial site, but when the government destroys living settlements including their synagogues and grave yard, and expel righteous religious Jews from their homes- the Charedim are silent.
that is exactly what i observed from internet reports. Haredims would react strongly to Messanics activities, evengilical churches, but no protest over mosques or muslim settlements in gaza. Although i do endorse the stand taken by haredims against missionaries. But then why dont they apply the same yardstick to muslims?

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 10:53:53 AM »
Ron, the names you mentioned here.. DO they have political influence among the masses?

I'm not too familiar with those guys, but anybody with the word "shlita" after his name usually has big impact with the masses.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 02:51:58 PM »
If that small group of Charedim are anti-zionist, why do they even bother living in Israel?  Why don't they go live somewhere else?

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 04:43:01 PM »
                                                    בס"ד

Yes. Rabbi Ya'akov is already well known since he's the son of Rabbi Ovadia Yosef Shalita.
Rabbi Mordechai Eliyahu is well known in the Dati-Leumi+Modern Orthodox+Haredi Leumi/etc groups. He's the spiritual leader of the Religious Zionists. Also he was he Sephardic chief Rabbi before Rabbi Ovadia Yosef. A HUGE Rabbi.
Rabbi Dov Wolpe is a huge Chabad leader, the head of an organization working for saving the Jewish people and the State of Israel aka "המטה להצלת העם הארץ". Also he's the leader of "Our Eretz Israel" movement which is a part of the National Union. MK Rabbi Michael Ben Ari is also a memeber of it.

PS: Rabbi Ya'akov Yosef is also a memeber of the spiritual leadership of the National Union, and also Rabbi Mordechai Eliyahu, Rabbi Dov Li'or Shalita, The huge Rabbi Baruch Zalman Melamed Shaltia.

Offline wonga66

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 05:20:39 PM »
Unfortunately the Chassidic Rebbes like Belz, Bobov, Toldos Aharon, Satmar, Sanz, Vizhnitz, Trisk, Nedvorner, Lelover, Breslov, Klausenberg, Skver, Karlin, Sadigur, Bostoner, Slonim, Spinker, Gerer, even Lubavitch etc etc etc, who could instantly bring out untold thousands upon thousands of black coats, have been silent and indifferent.

But now that considerable numbers of Chassidic Haredi are perforce moving in to Yehuda & Shomron, they may have no choice but to act.

But as for them ever cooperating with the "knitted kippot" Orthodox - never the twain will meet!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 05:26:47 PM by wonga66 »

Offline Christian Zionist

• Master JTFer
  • homosexuality is an abomination to God-Lev.18:22
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 05:21:58 PM »
I heard that the Heredim has little knowledge of the Tanach and seldom read it.  Is that true?

Also another question:  Do they participate in Israel's compulsory military services?
Isaiah 62:1 -  For Zion's sake I am not silent, And for Jerusalem's sake I do not rest, Till her righteousness go out as brightness, And her salvation, as a torch that burns.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 08:29:04 PM »
I heard that the Heredim has little knowledge of the Tanach and seldom read it.  Is that true?

Also another question:  Do they participate in Israel's compulsory military services?

Incorrect. They are very learned in Torah (including Tancah) You can't learn The Oral Law without the Written Law or vice versa.
They do not join the military since they go to yeshiva instead.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 08:34:42 PM »
                                                                 בס"ד

Incorrect. They are very learned in Torah (including Tancah) You can't learn The Oral Law without the Written Law or vice versa.

Some do, some don't, don't generalize.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 08:37:23 PM »
                                                                 בס"ד

After at least two decades of religious education, they all know Tanach.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 08:38:50 PM »
                                                               בס"ד

בס"ד

I was talking about the joining military thing.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 08:46:52 PM »
                                                               בס"ד

בס"ד

I've never heard of somebody in a REAL Chareidi circle joining the army. When I say real I mean Meah Sharim, Ponovitch, payos down to their chest, anyone that grew up separated from the opposite sex, learning in Yeshiva at least 10 hours a day. I'm not talking about regular dati Jews from Beit Shemesh or the hesder, I'm talking actual charedim. It's against their circles to join the army. The have to be in beis medrash until they get married then kollel.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 08:49:03 PM »
                                                               בס"ד

בס"ד

בס"ד

I've never heard of somebody in a REAL Chareidi circle joining the army. When I say real I mean Meah Sharim, Ponovitch, payos down to their chest, anyone that grew up separated from the opposite sex, learning in Yeshiva at least 10 hours a day. I'm not talking about regular dati Jews from Beit Shemesh or the hesder, I'm talking actual charedim. It's against their circles to join the army. The have to be in beis medrash until they get married then kollel.

No, a major part of Charedim really doesn't go to the army, but there are enough groups who joined the army, most of them Kahanist oldschool Haredis join or joined the army. Also there are some divisions especially for Charedim in the army.

Offline FreedomFighter08

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2009, 08:53:06 PM »
that grew up separated from the opposite sex

One of the fourty one reasons why I can't be a cheredi.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2009, 08:54:24 PM »
                                                                  בס"ד

And why's that? (answer me in a PM please)

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2009, 08:55:31 PM »
                                                                  בס"ד

And why's that? (answer me in a PM please)
I'd like to see this, too, out of curiosity. Post it here, please.

Offline FreedomFighter08

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2009, 09:03:01 PM »
It was a joke. I could probably think of 284 reasons though. I can't be separated from the opposite sex though. I'd probably go insane living my life in a sausage fest.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2009, 09:11:47 PM »
                                                                  בס"ד

It was a joke. I could probably think of 284 reasons though. I can't be separated from the opposite sex though. I'd probably go insane living my life in a sausage fest.

And the question and the request I gave you remain the same.

Offline FreedomFighter08

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2009, 09:29:26 PM »
You need more explanations? I can't be around men all the time. Women are a gift to the world. Plus I have a Secular approach to everything, including religion, including Judaism. I question everything and never take what somebody says to me face value.

I can't be a Heredi because:

- They had their own people killed in the Holocaust because they didn't want to go to Israel
- Many of them are Anti-Zionist
- I can't live my life not having any fun
- Heredis aren't really stylish
- I'm an individualist so I don't want to be following whatever a Rabbi says
- I'm a secular person
- They don't pay taxes or serve in the Israeli military
- I like the ladies
- I like the ladies
- I like the ladies
- I like the ladies
- I like the ladies
- I like the ladies
- I like the ladies
- I like the ladies
- I like the ladies
- I like the ladies
- I like the ladies

- I like the ladies
:laugh: :::D

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2009, 09:34:10 PM »
You need more explanations? I can't be around men all the time. Women are a gift to the world. Plus I have a Secular approach to everything, including religion, including Judaism. I question everything and never take what somebody says to me face value.

I can't be a Heredi because:

- They had their own people killed in the Holocaust because they didn't want to go to Israel
- Many of them are Anti-Zionist
- I can't live my life not having any fun
- Heredis aren't really stylish
- I'm an individualist so I don't want to be following whatever a Rabbi says
- I'm a secular person
- They don't pay taxes or serve in the Israeli military
- I like the ladies
- I like the ladies
- I like the ladies
- I like the ladies
- I like the ladies
- I like the ladies