Author Topic: A good article on pork  (Read 3709 times)

Offline Sefardic Panther

• Full JTFer
A good article on pork
« on: December 30, 2009, 10:42:20 AM »
I recently found a good article on pork. What I like about this article is it was’nt written by someone religious therefore it is more objective (the author does not have any religious agenda) –

http://www.goveg.com/f-top10pigs.asp

And heres another good one on the 2nd most popular (but far more expensive) treif food –

http://www.lobsterlib.com/feat/davidwallace/boiled.asp

And crabs –

http://www.fishinghurts.com/feat-crabslife2.asp

"Let there be a holocaust on the anti-semites!!!" - Rabbi Mordechai Friedman Shlita

http://www.youtube.com/user/SefardicPanther

Offline Sefardic Panther

• Full JTFer
Re: A good article on pork
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 10:20:54 AM »
3 good videos that clearly illustrates the dangers of eating pork –

"Let there be a holocaust on the anti-semites!!!" - Rabbi Mordechai Friedman Shlita

http://www.youtube.com/user/SefardicPanther

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 05:57:36 PM »
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 06:24:22 PM »
I think a Jew with a pet pig might have a real loyal friend for life there.  100% not food!  I'd name him, "Moe".

I can't eat goat now either.  Purim carnival had a goat petting zoo.  Eating a goat is like eating a dog to me now.  You can't be friends with what you eat.

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 11:48:05 PM »
I think a Jew with a pet pig might have a real loyal friend for life there.  100% not food!  I'd name him, "Moe".
Wouldn't having any contact with a pig be considered tum'a?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 01:15:41 AM »

http://www.ou.org/torah/zomet/5758/reeh58.htm#dasburg

According to Israeli law, it is forbidden to raise pigs within the country. Judaism has a long history of anguish with this unholy animal. It is a despicable symbol of loathing, so much so that the prophet links it to other impure creatures: "Those who eat the flesh of the swine, the abomination, and the mouse will be destroyed together" [Yeshayahu 66:17]. When the Greeks wanted to shame us, they forced us to eat its flesh. In the fight between the two brothers, Hurkanos and Aristobolus, a pig grated its claws in the walls of Jerusalem, and an area 400 by 400 "parsa" was shocked. The strongest possible language was used for the prohibition to grow pigs: "Cursed is the man who would raise pigs."

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 04:51:58 AM »

http://www.ou.org/torah/zomet/5758/reeh58.htm#dasburg

According to Israeli law, it is forbidden to raise pigs within the country. Judaism has a long history of anguish with this unholy animal. It is a despicable symbol of loathing, so much so that the prophet links it to other impure creatures: "Those who eat the flesh of the swine, the abomination, and the mouse will be destroyed together" [Yeshayahu 66:17]. When the Greeks wanted to shame us, they forced us to eat its flesh. In the fight between the two brothers, Hurkanos and Aristobolus, a pig grated its claws in the walls of Jerusalem, and an area 400 by 400 "parsa" was shocked. The strongest possible language was used for the prohibition to grow pigs: "Cursed is the man who would raise pigs."

I no idea.  I do not want a curse, I shall abandon the idea. 

I have heard goats are popular pets in Israel.  There was a goat people could pet at Purim and I vowed to never eat goat again because the thing was all over me like a big dog when I went to pet it! 

My Mom checked and saw I can bring two cats maximum to Israel on aliyah [I have two cats, perfect]. 

I have heard dogs are popular, one of my Israeli friends has an "Israeli Sheppard" (I forget proper name, but its the Israel version of a German Shepard as is to Germany) - However I believe the dog must not be castrated, my friends dog is not castrated.

"the Greeks wanted to shame us"...  I know a Jew who eats bacon.  I will tell him this.

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 04:40:53 PM »
Having contact with a LIVE pig does not cause Tumá. Pig is only ritualy impure for Jews when it's dead. Besides, these purity laws about contact with Tuma does not apply when there is no Temple, except in case a Jew would want to ascend  the permitted areas of Har Habayt. In that case he would need to go to Mikve if he had been in contact with a dead pig. For Gentiles it's Hallachically allowed to eat pork providing there is no health risk. But a gentile can choose to avoid impure food if he wishes.
Anyway it's not convenient for a Jew to have a pig or dog as a pet at home becuase Jewish law forbids Jews to allow a pig, a dog or a person of the opposite sex to pass between two Jews. Likewise a Jew must not walk between two pigs, two dogs or two persons of the oppsoite gender.
But, in case of any doubt, please consult an Orthodox Rav. I am not expert on Hallacha.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 04:40:50 PM »
I dont understand the comments about goats. What is wrong with a goat?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 04:44:39 PM »
I dont understand the comments about goats. What is wrong with a goat?

I think what he was saying is that he sees that goats are intelligent and on the level of cats and dogs as far as being considered something to eat. Goats I believe are Kosher and thus it is not forbidden to eat them..

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 04:47:40 PM »
oh ok.  Sometimes on Yt I see some comments about goats and Islam. But I dont understand the connection if any

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 05:13:27 PM »
oh ok.  Sometimes on Yt I see some comments about goats and Islam. But I dont understand the connection if any

Actually in the Torah portion from last week we read about the Passover laws:

From

3 Speak ye unto all the congregation of Israel, saying: In the tenth day of this month they shall take to them every man a lamb, according to their fathers' houses, a lamb for a household;  4 and if the household be too little for a lamb, then shall he and his neighbour next unto his house take one according to the number of the souls; according to every man's eating ye shall make your count for the lamb.  5 Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year; ye shall take it from the sheep, or from the goats; 6 and ye shall keep it unto the fourteenth day of the same month; and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it at dusk.  7 And they shall take of the blood, and put it on the two side-posts and on the lintel, upon the houses wherein they shall eat it.  8 And they shall eat the flesh in that night, roast with fire, and unleavened bread; with bitter herbs they shall eat it.  9 Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; its head with its legs and with the inwards thereof.  10 And ye shall let nothing of it remain until the morning; but that which remaineth of it until the morning ye shall burn with fire.  11 And thus shall ye eat it: with your loins girded, your shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and ye shall eat it in haste--it is the LORD'S passover.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 05:19:27 PM »

I think this is a reference to the sexual preferences of their 'quote-unquote' prophet mohumud, drek on his head, who is believed to have had bestial relations with goats...