Author Topic: A Jew from Chabad had me put on Teffelin for the 1st time in my life today.  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
 :dance: :dance: :dance:

I saw an elderly Jewish man looking for some directions or something in the parking lot of a grocery store, and I went to him and asked if I could help him out.  He explained he was simply asking a guy a question and that I didn't need to be worried for him.  Then he asked me if I had put Teffelin on today.  I said I had not.  He asked why I had not put Teffelin on today.  I explained I do not own Teffelin, and I had never put Teffelin on as I have only been practitioner of Judaism for myself just over a year now.  He asked if I wanted to put on Teffelin right there in the grocery store parking lot!  I said, "I never pass on the chance to do a MITZVOTH!" - So we went to say prayers and do Teffelin for my first time.
On the way there we saw another older Jew and my new friend asked this man if he had done Teffelin, to which the answer was "YES OF COURSE, well not really I was just kidding its been decades".  So my new friend and I petitioned this man to Teffelin his arm and say the prayers.  After a bit of convincing this third man went through with it, and I saw what I would be doing.
Then it was my turn.  My friend wrapped the little boxy thing up high on my arm, and then I wrapped my arm 6 times with the leather strap.  I also traded my cap for a kippah, and wore the boxy thing that goes on one's forehead at the same time as Teffelin.

I think my Mom mailed me Teffelin for Channukah as well, but the package was lost in the mail ATM.  When it does come I will know just what to do thanks to this Jew who practices "Chabad Judaism".  He told me I should try out Chabad vs. the Reform temple I go to currently.  I think I might like to do this.
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Mazel Tov!

I love to hear about Jews donning Tefillin. I try to do it whenever I can but some days I find no time for it... I will try harder again this week...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14