Author Topic: Kennedy replacement could threaten Dem majority  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
Kennedy replacement could threaten Dem majority
« on: January 07, 2010, 07:35:10 PM »
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=121130

The race to fill the Senate seat left vacant by the death of Sen. Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., is closer than many  expected, and the results could, in the words of one analyst, "rock American politics."

Republican candidate state Sen. Scott Brown is within nine points of the Democratic nominee in the heavily Democratic district, according to the latest Rasmussen poll. That assessment said Democrat Attorney General Martha Coakley would get 50 percent of the vote, while Brown would get 41 percent.

But strategists with the Massachusetts Republican Party say their internal polling indicates the Jan. 19 special election is closer than the Rasmussen poll shows.

Brown says voter turnout will be crucial.

"If everyone gets out and votes, this election will be very competitive. I'm working about 20 hours a day on this campaign. I'm working to get the voters to the polls," he said.

"We have teams of people all over the state making sure that young people and the elderly who are with us have rides to the polls," Brown said.

(Story continues below)

A Republican strategist who asked not to be identified called the election a referendum on Obama's coalition in Washington.

The strategist added that if Brown can win, the center-right in Massachusetts will be emboldened.

In a press conference this week, Brown said it's time someone in Washington calls the president to account for reckless spending.

"If you look at the levels of economic growth, most of the growth has been in the size of the federal government and most salary increases have been in government," Brown said.

"That's why I'm proposing an immediate freeze on all federal wages so the increases that were part of the recent series of spending bills can be reviewed," Brown added.

The Republican nominee also said it's time to bring financial sanity back to Washington.

"This state needs someone in Washington who will work to bring an end to the out-of-control spending. The spending increases began with the first stimulus bill sponsored by President Bush, but if you look at the numbers, the spending levels have gone completely out of control under Obama and this Congress," Brown said.

The health care reform bill currently being debated in Washington is one of the race's major issues. The reform package is one of the reasons Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick designated former Democratic National Chairman Paul Kirk as the interim appointee to the seat.

Brown said he opposes the federal bill and wants the federal government to review all items listed for mandated coverage in any federal program.

Brown wants to see the review process happen through a bill he filed in the Massachusetts Senate.

Brown's opponent, Coakley, is accusing the Wrentham, Mass., Republican of trying to cut important services for women.

An article on Coakely's website claimed Brown's bill in the Massachusetts senate would cut mammograms, minimum maternity stays and pap smears for women and hospice care for seniors.

Brown said Coakley's claim is preposterous.

"Martha issued a statement saying that I want to limit mammograms for women and that's not true. What I want reviewed is how the money for these services is spent. That's not advocating cutting the services," Brown said.

"Martha's trying to win points by engaging in fear-mongering. That's not the way to go about this debate," Brown said.

On the issue of national security, Brown is critical of Coakley's plans on how to deal with enemy combatants.

"She wants to give the terrorists the same rights as we have as U. S. citizens. She wants give those people who want to kill us rights that they frankly don't deserve," Brown said.

And he is critical of a weekend report that the Obama administration would be willing to cut a deal with suspected Christmas bomber Omar Abdulmutallab.

"I've been an Army lawyer for many years and I know the terrorists only deserve the rights afforded to enemy combatants by the Geneva Convention," Brown said.

At a press conference, when Brown was asked if he is the pro-life and pro-family candidate, hesaid that in one respect, his position with his Democratic opponent is similar.

"Both Martha and I believe that Roe v. Wade is the established law of the land."

However, Brown went on to say that's where the similarities end.

"She and I couldn't be further apart on many aspects of this issue. She's been endorsed by Emily's List and Emily's List wants to lower the age of consent for an abortion," Brown said.

"She supports partial birth abortion, even up to the ninth month. She supports federal funding for abortions and I don't support any of those things. I want to see there be far fewer abortions and an emphasis put on adoption," Brown said.

This week, Brown picked up 2008 GOP presidential nominee John McCain's endorsement.

"I know Sen. McCain and I appreciate his endorsement. He's known in Washington as someone who attacks pork projects and tries to get a line on the out of control spending. So I think it's important to get his endorsement. I know he doesn't go around endorsing everyone," Brown said.

The GOP is providing support for Brown's campaign. Former Republican Govs. Paul Cellucci and Mitt Romney have been campaigning with Brown.

Coakley's campaign did not respond to any requests for interviews for this story.

But in an American Thinker analysis of the race by Clarice Feldman, the prospect of a GOP victory was raised.

"If that were to happen, it could rock American politics," the analysis said. She wrote, "There's a great deal of interest in the Republican Scott Brown, and he may just pull off a win."

The analysis noted reports that Coakley, who has been refusing to debate, now is "alarmed enough to change her position."
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Moshe92

Re: Kennedy replacement could threaten Dem majority
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 08:39:39 PM »
Scott Brown isn't the ideal candidate, but he's much better than Martha Coakley. It was great to hear that the race is close. I'm just disappointed that I'm turning 18 in March. I wish I turned 18 a few months earlier so I could vote for Scott Brown.

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Kennedy replacement could threaten Dem majority
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 08:48:26 PM »
Scott Brown isn't the ideal candidate, but he's much better than Martha Coakley. It was great to hear that the race is close. I'm just disappointed that I'm turning 18 in March. I wish I turned 18 a few months earlier so I could vote for Scott Brown.

Yeah man.  Your vote could make the difference.
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt