Author Topic: This is a very great looking Jewish tattoo.  (Read 10799 times)

Offline FreedomFighter08

• Senior JTFer
This is a very great looking Jewish tattoo.
« on: January 24, 2010, 03:26:53 PM »
From the guy who owns the Jewish tattoo site, Needlesandsins.com, this guy has a tattoo of his hero Jabotinsky in a nice background. Who said tattoos were trashy?
Here ya go:

Close view:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: This is a very great looking Jewish tattoo.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 03:27:52 PM »
You are aware that tattoos are against Jewish halacha... We are commanded not to make marks on our body, and NOT to do as the gentile nations do...

I am very much against tattoos, even supposed 'Jewish' ones...

http://www.torah.org/learning/issues/tattoo.html
http://www.askmoses.com/en/article/224,120/What-does-Judaism-say-about-tattoos.html

A. The body is the sanctuary of the soul, and just like a sound mind deserves a sound body, so does the soul. Tattoos, hazing cuts, permanent discoloring of the skin or other destructive insults to the body are prohibited. You wouldn't kick holes in your walls, would you? So why do it to your soul's house?1

Another reason for this prohibition is because it was a common practice in ancient times for people to brand themselves as "slaves" of their idols.

The prohibition of tattooing consists of have an indelible inscription etched into one's skin.2

B. In ancient times, and probably in some cultures today, deep cuts or other such injuries were inflicted on one's self in mourning for a lost loved one. Besides being a violation of the Torah's body-maintenance guidelines3, they are also considered idolatrous practices because of their ritual nature--and the Torah doesn't like idolatry.

C. Another bodily injury with idolatrous roots is the practice of manually pulling one's hair out to mourn for one's dead. While grief may oft-times be powerful enough to warrant a most original haircut, it is forbidden4, because it was an accepted practice of ancient idolatrous cultures.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline FreedomFighter08

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 03:30:55 PM »
So are piercings. I don't understand the whole prohibition on piercings and tattoos. Piercings look great on women and I personally see nothing wrong with Zionist tattoos or US Navy type tattoos. Obviously you're not marking yourself with a polytheistic symbol if you're getting a Zionist tattoo. I'm Secular but I still don't understand the whole point of the prohibition on Orthodox Jews.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 03:34:59 PM »
So are piercings. I don't understand the whole prohibition on piercings and tattoos. Piercings look great on women and I personally see nothing wrong with Zionist tattoos or US Navy type tattoos. Obviously you're not marking yourself with a polytheistic symbol if you're getting a Zionist tattoo. I'm Secular but I still don't understand the whole point of the prohibition on Orthodox Jews.

You're not supposed to mutilate your body.  I think tatoos are scary and gross. 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 03:39:41 PM »

I believe, though at this time I am not 100% sure, but I think that Torah permits women to pierce their ears and their noses because the Torah relates that the women gave their ear and nose rings to the men in order to build the golden calf.... But I may be a bit confused about the story..

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 03:40:28 PM »
http://www.oztorah.com/2008/01/body-piercing-ask-the-rabbi/

Q. Does Judaism allow alterations to one’s skin, e.g. body piercing?

A. Tattooing is viewed negatively as its origins were idolatrous (Lev. 19:28; Maimonides, Hilchot Avodah Zarah 12:11), even though, technically speaking, it is banned only if done with indelible ink and in the form of writing (Makkot 3:6; Shulchan Aruch, Yoreh De’ah 180:1).

Cosmetic surgery raises the halachic issues of intentionally wounding oneself, risking infection, etc. Rabbinic responsa permit it for psychological or medical reasons (e.g. after an accident) but not for mere vanity, especially among males, unless the operation is common practice in the place concerned (see I. Jakobovits, “Jewish Medical Ethics”).

Piercing the ears was a mark of servitude in Biblical times (Ex. 21:6), yet ear- and nose-rings were often worn by women. For men to wear them would presumably infringe the prohibition against cross-dressing. The problem today is that some people insert rings in strange parts of their person as a mark of vanity or frivolity. Even if what is done is not likely to be hazardous to health, vanity or a sense of fun is no justification for immodesty ­- or for “meshugass”.

The basic rule is that the body is the property of the Holy One, blessed is He, and its dignity must not be compromised or its integrity invaded. Instead of overdoing the preening of the body, one should work on one’s mind, heart and soul.

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 03:41:32 PM »

You're not supposed to mutilate your body.  I think tatoos are scary and gross. 

Yes.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 04:05:21 PM »
What is wrong with Christians or other Gentiles getting tattoos?

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 04:10:51 PM »
As a doctor, I can say with total clarity that tattoos look horrible on people as they get older. So from an aesthetic point of view, don't do it.  They do not look the same on slim healthy taut 20 year old skin as they do on an 80 year old!   :o

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 04:10:59 PM »

I don't think that is an issue, at least from the Jewish perspective. But I think the original post was discussing 'Jewish' tattoos, which one may think implies that it is a Jewish thing to have Jewish tattoos, which I have pointed out is absolutely not true...

I do know Israelis and reform Jews who do have tattoos.... But those are the kind of Jews I really don't spend a lot of time with, nor would I trust their Jewish beliefs.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 04:12:22 PM »
Yeah, I agree with you that "Jewish tattoo" seems rather oxymoronic.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 04:16:13 PM »

It is about the body/temple issue. It is written somewhere in first Corinthians. But also it is something that relates to paganist practics.

Imo it looks simply vulgar and cheap.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 04:21:09 PM »
Tatoos = asur

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 04:35:09 PM »
If you are not religious, a Henna tattoo will wash off if you want to see how one looks on you for curiosity's sake

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 04:36:15 PM »
If you are not religious, a Henna tattoo will wash off if you want to see how one looks on you for curiosity's sake

How cute...

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 04:37:00 PM »
lol :laugh:

Hey I never got one, I knew as a young person that it would look terrible as I got older 

Besides, it's impossible to get rid of without expensives laser resurfacing or the like

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 04:52:13 PM »
I have tattoos.  I regret it.  I will leave it at, "values change over time, priorities reveal themselves".  There is not one single solitary day I do not regret it.  I've talked it out with my Torah study leader.  I am not allowed to be buried in a Jewish cemetery. - If anyone may benefit from my mistake, please, you can tell your loved ones that someone regrets their tattoos big time...  I have about $3,500 worth of tattooing [free from a very talented friend] and every single time I see one millimeter of them...  it sorrows my heart.  I cannot wear shorts, or t-shirts in a Jewish crowd [I do not want to offend].  I cannot wear a kipah and shorts or t-shirt because it will shame our community.

My fear was in having a family how can I tell my children they cannot do what their father has, foolishly, done?  A man from Chabad told me, "You will not need to tell them anything if you raise them in a life of Torah, they will know and understand on their own".

I realize the sin is already done, but I am looking into removing them.  I feel as if I truly hate them.  I love the art, but...  to need to wear long sleeve shirts 365 days a year in SFV heat...  perhaps its an apt punishment as it is.

If you ever hear, "Mom and Dad I want a tattoo."

"My friend Ari would like to have a few words with you, and your future..."

BLESS HASHEM I did not get my earlobes stretched out...  they don't stretch back, and in SoCal they are very popular.  Aboriginal bone through the nose type stuff...  and because these people also have tattoos as well... ugh...  what's the solution to feeling down?  Torah, Torah, Torah!!
--------
I have a friend, he is not Jewish, he has a "magen david/star of david" tattoo on his arm, because, "he admires the Jewish struggle".  He impressed me when he told me this.
IMO for a JEW to get HEBREW tattooed on them is worse than a regular tattoo.  Hebrew is a HOLY language.
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 04:58:14 PM »
I have tattoos.  I regret it.  I will leave it at, "values change over time, priorities reveal themselves".  There is not one single solitary day I do not regret it.  I've talked it out with my Torah study leader.  I am not allowed to be buried in a Jewish cemetery. - If anyone may benefit from my mistake, please, you can tell your loved ones that someone regrets their tattoos big time...  I have about $3,500 worth of tattooing [free from a very talented friend] and every single time I see one millimeter of them...  it sorrows my heart.  I cannot wear shorts, or t-shirts in a Jewish crowd [I do not want to offend].  I cannot wear a kipah and shorts or t-shirt because it will shame our community.

My fear was in having a family how can I tell my children they cannot do what their father has, foolishly, done?  A man from Chabad told me, "You will not need to tell them anything if you raise them in a life of Torah, they will know and understand on their own".

I realize the sin is already done, but I am looking into removing them.  I feel as if I truly hate them.  I love the art, but...  to need to wear long sleeve shirts 365 days a year in SFV heat...  perhaps its an apt punishment as it is.

If you ever hear, "Mom and Dad I want a tattoo."

"My friend Ari would like to have a few words with you, and your future..."

BLESS HASHEM I did not get my earlobes stretched out...  they don't stretch back, and in SoCal they are very popular.  Aboriginal bone through the nose type stuff...  and because these people also have tattoos as well... ugh...  what's the solution to feeling down?  Torah, Torah, Torah!!
--------
I have a friend, he is not Jewish, he has a "magen david/star of david" tattoo on his arm, because, "he admires the Jewish struggle".  He impressed me when he told me this.
IMO for a JEW to get HEBREW tattooed on them is worse than a regular tattoo.  Hebrew is a HOLY language.
Ariel, can't you have the tattoo removed with a laser?

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 04:59:46 PM »
It is probably worth it to get it resurfaced and taken off.  I believe it is fairly expensive, but perhaps it is worth it given your feelings about it?

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 05:30:48 PM »
It is probably worth it to get it resurfaced and taken off.  I believe it is fairly expensive, but perhaps it is worth it given your feelings about it?
I think it would be worth paying for, unless it's like a million dollars, or some number I could not possibly earn at my rate of pay[I make $11 an hour, and I can't get more than part time ATM].  I should stop in to a shop I pass every day and get a quote.  At least before I have kids, that's truly the biggest thing.  Or I worry if I meet a nice Orthodox girl when I move to Israel, her parents...  I'm invested in being admirable to her parents as well, hopefully I gain a Torah scholar Father-in-law who actually enjoys spending time with his son-in-law [1st impressions are hard to get twice].

I can say to myself, "if it is expensive, at least I did not pay for the original work".  I really hope it's not just a bunch of bullcrap about these things really coming off 100%, the last thing I would want is to get uglier tattoos out of the deal.  I have seen a "cream" sold on TV for tattoo removal and it looks like it just ruins the tattoo, leaving just a blob of nebulous ink stain.

I passed the chance to go out on a romantic type date with a wonderful gorgeous Jewish girl because she has tattoos.  I thought about it a lot, but I really believe in Torah, at 31 years old, I felt dating her might be like going backwards.  Still good friends, of course, but Platonic.  Aside from that, I'm on a plan to move to Israel in less than two years.  I'm trying to get into shape so I can serve in the IDF.  I'm always in sort of good shape, but I will be 33 then, and most IDF are 18-21 I imagine. - If anyone has tattoo removal down to a science, perhaps the Israelis might!

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline FreedomFighter08

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 06:21:58 PM »
Tattoo removal is painful. You WILL get buried in a Jewish cemetery though. All Orthodox Rabbis I've talked to say that if somebody denies you the right to be buried in a Jewish cemetery, they are committing a grave sin, and they are not respecting the dead. The only time a Jewish person is not allowed to get buried in a Jewish cemetery is when he or she commits suicide.

Tattooing is an explicit prohibition from the Torah. However, those who violate this prohibition may be buried in a Jewish cemetery and participate fully in all synagogue ritual. While no sanctions are imposed, the practice should continue to be discouraged as a violation of the Torah. At all times a Jew should remember that we are created b'tzelem Elokim. We are called upon to incorporate this understanding into all our decisions.

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/practices/Ethics/Our_Bodies/Adorning_the_Body/Tattoos.shtml

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 06:59:22 PM »
Tattoo removal is painful. You WILL get buried in a Jewish cemetery though. All Orthodox Rabbis I've talked to say that if somebody denies you the right to be buried in a Jewish cemetery, they are committing a grave sin, and they are not respecting the dead. The only time a Jewish person is not allowed to get buried in a Jewish cemetery is when he or she commits suicide.

Tattooing is an explicit prohibition from the Torah. However, those who violate this prohibition may be buried in a Jewish cemetery and participate fully in all synagogue ritual. While no sanctions are imposed, the practice should continue to be discouraged as a violation of the Torah. At all times a Jew should remember that we are created b'tzelem Elokim. We are called upon to incorporate this understanding into all our decisions.

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/practices/Ethics/Our_Bodies/Adorning_the_Body/Tattoos.shtml
That is really good news [not about the pain!].

Thank you.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 07:00:45 PM »
I don't like tattoos. I think they mutilate the body and most of them look like garbage.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 07:06:37 PM »
It is about the body/temple issue. It is written somewhere in first Corinthians. But also it is something that relates to paganist practics.
That verse is in specific reference to seeing prostitutes. There are no principles in Christian theology that forbid tattoos.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 07:13:16 PM »
That verse is in specific reference to seeing prostitutes. There are no principles in Christian theology that forbid tattoos.

I think it imitates pagan religious practices and we shouldn't do it for that reason.