Author Topic: What is your oppinion of Cod liver oil?  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
What is your oppinion of Cod liver oil?
« on: February 02, 2010, 01:57:36 PM »
I have read, that this Cod liver oil should be very good for the body during the "dark" seasons. Then the skin of the human is covered and the sun is shining not so well. So the body is not able to produce enough vitamin D.

Has anybody tried it? Did it help against tiredness and depressions?
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: What is your oppinion of Cod liver oil?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 02:07:07 PM »
I have read, that this Cod liver oil should be very good for the body during the "dark" seasons. Then the skin of the human is covered and the sun is shining not so well. So the body is not able to produce enough vitamin D.

Has anybody tried it? Did it help against tiredness and depressions?
if it helps the body absorb vitamin D it's good vitamin D is very important when i was young my Mother gave it to me every day[cod liver oil]
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 02:12:46 PM »
I think it's healthy but I would research which brands have less mercury.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 02:18:40 PM »
I hear the Norwegian cod liver oil is supposed to be very good.  It does have a lot of Vitamin D, which is good for you. 

Sally Fallon, who is the president of the Weston Price Foundation, writes a lot of good things about it in her book Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats.

http://www.amazon.com/Nourishing-Traditions-Challenges-Politically-Dictocrats/dp/0967089735/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265143351&sr=1-1

She writes about it a lot more in her book Eat Fat Lose Fat:

http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Fat-Lose-Healthy-Alternative/dp/0452285666/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

I read the second book, and looked through the first book.  It's very interesting stuff. 

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 02:43:40 PM »
Ruby, Mord and Lisa, I will try it tomorrow. I think I go to the apothecary and buy it there. So I will get a good product without mercury.

:)
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 02:45:36 PM »
Ruby, Mord and Lisa, I will try it tomorrow. I think I go to the apothecary and buy it there. So I will get a good product without mercury.

:)
yes thats good
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 03:45:43 PM »
I am big on fish oil myself, Ulli.  Anyone with any kind of depression, adhd, and low HDL (the good cholesterol) may benefit from fish oil. 

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 04:45:50 PM »
I am big on fish oil myself, Ulli.  Anyone with any kind of depression, adhd, and low HDL (the good cholesterol) may benefit from fish oil. 
I have light depressions and I feel tired all the time. I suffer from this since this horror-winter started and since I quit drinking red wine.

Thank you for the advice. I tell you how it will work.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 05:12:35 PM »
How about a light lamp?  It has to use 10,000 lux

If you have seasonal affective disorder, try it.  www.sunbox.com.

The only thing I think it is contraindicated in is people with seizure disorders, but it doesnt flash/blink, so prob not.  You should talk about it with your MD.  Vitamin D, B vitamins, and with your doctor's blessing, you can try some St. Johns wort, though this affects the metabolism of some other medications, so always check with your MD first.

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 05:24:53 PM »
Excellent way to get your omega 3 fatty acids.  A tbsp gives you a very high concentration of them.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 05:25:34 PM »
I have light depressions and I feel tired all the time. I suffer from this since this horror-winter started and since I quit drinking red wine.

Thank you for the advice. I tell you how it will work.
The industry was pushing the fish oils a few years back here in the "States" big time. I never heard anything really harmful about it but I also hear less being  made about it in the past few years. Winter is not the most pleasant time of the year however its a great time to take it easy spend time cooking some great meals and enjoy some of that red wine you quit drinking... Spring is just around the corner  8)
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 05:29:01 PM »
Fish oils are a excellent product.  They are good for your heart, skin, brain, and so many other things.  The omega 3 fatty acids are essential for health and must come from diet or supplement form.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 05:33:01 PM »
CJD,

You are totally right, the only thing I would add is that we are still animals and have mammalian brains. We need sunlight to set our biological clocks, to regulate our hormones and sleep/wake cycles.  The dearth of sunlight in the winter affects some people more than others. 

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 05:55:50 PM »
For depression, there's also a supplement called SAM-e, which I hear is popular in Europe.  But I would check with your doctor first. 

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 08:20:12 AM »
Tastes great!
I eat a lot of fish and I know how to avoid that "fishy" taste.
I don't think you would notice any difference by taking a capsule or two.
More like how vitamins work. You only notice when there's a lack of it.

Do you sleep well?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 08:50:38 AM »
Tastes great!

Do you sleep well?

No, I don't sleep well. In fact first I am not able to sleep and later I wake up feeling bad.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 08:52:37 AM »
For depression, there's also a supplement called SAM-e, which I hear is popular in Europe.  But I would check with your doctor first. 

Firs I have ordered the cod liver oil. I had to pay in advance and I got a special paper for it. In two hours I must go to the apothecary and get it.

Offline pennyjangle

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 09:09:03 AM »
Be Careful, cod liver oil has a very high level of vitamin A, it accumulates in body fat, and can reach harmful levels. Why not take vitamin D, I take D-3 1000 iu. Not all fish oil is created the same, I take krill oil it contains omega-3 fatty acids, they feed mainly on phytoplankton.
Hasta La Vista Baby!

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 11:28:14 AM »

So I got one litre of it. Above I posted the etikett of the bottle. How much should I drink of it and how often?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 11:33:07 AM »
You don't "drink" it.  Take about a tablespoon of it. 

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 11:38:18 AM »
You don't "drink" it.  Take about a tablespoon of it. 
Ok. I have done. It tastes not this bad. A little bit like fat smoked makarel would taste but not salty.

I hope it will work.

Thank you Lisa.  :)

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 01:25:38 PM »
Tastes great!

Do you sleep well?

No, I don't sleep well. In fact first I am not able to sleep and later I wake up feeling bad.

And what's keeping you from sleeping?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 01:52:05 PM »

I take it daily for many years in 1/3 of maximum dose (2 capsules) along with other vitamins to compensate for my exercise and cigarette smoking.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 01:59:28 PM »
Tastes great!

Do you sleep well?

And what's keeping you from sleeping?

I am during the day tired and in the night I am not able to sleep. Perhaps it is because of this evil winter as well of the adjustment of my body after I quit red wine.

Offline Edward

• Senior JTFer
  • יברך אלוהים את אמריקה ואת ישראל וכל אוהבי ע&a
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 02:10:20 PM »
Cod liver is highly recommended especially during the dark season but not only.
Also you should consume as much oily fish as you can, as it does the same work, plus it contains a significant amount of Omega 3 acids, which are very good for you.
The best oily fish are:
1. Mackerel
2. Herring
3. Sardines,
these three have the biggest amount of it, but there are other Northern fish (sea-fish) like Salmon, Sprats, Blue Mackerel and of course the Blue Tuna (the Japanese word is Maguro)

be healthy and God bless!
Zai mir gezunt!
 :dance: