Author Topic: Israeli kidnaps elephant  (Read 3584 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Israeli kidnaps elephant
« on: May 01, 2007, 04:03:07 PM »
 ::) :o  http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3394373,00.html

Israeli kidnaps Thai elephant

Man on the run abducts elephant after causing car crash; threatens to harm it if police arrest him

Itamar Eichner Published:  05.01.07, 17:03 / Israel News 

An Israeli tourist, Yoram Ben-Hamo, was convicted last Saturday for kidnapping a baby elephant in Thailand and holding it hostage.

The incident occurred during a police chase after Ben-Hamo in a village south of Bangkok. Ben-Hamo, who, according to the police was probably drunk, was on his way to the capital when he crashed into three vehicles and injured a motorcyclist. He then fled the scene. The police were called to the place of the accident and started a chase after him.

During his getaway, he picked up a knife from a merchant, grabbed a baby elephant from a yard in the neighborhood and warned the police that if they did not leave him alone he would harm the elephant.

Having called in a hostage-negotiation team, the police eventually offered Ben-Hamo a cigarette and he was then captured while lighting it. The elephant was returned home unscathed.

At his investigation, Ben-Hamo said that he had lost his way from Pattaya to Bangkok. After hitting the other cars he was afraid he would be arrested; he left his car and ran into the woods where he found the elephant. He decided to hold it hostage to avoid being arrested.

The media in Thailand has criticized the court for the light punishment Ben-Hamo received for the severe crime of endangering an elephant, the national symbol of Thailand: 500 baht (NIS 60, $15)

Ran Ezer, Bangkok contributed to the report

Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

ftf

Re: Israeli kidnaps elephant
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 04:10:01 PM »
That is one of the most bizarre criminal offenses I've ever heard of...

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 04:11:58 PM »
me too :D
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

ftf

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 04:22:52 PM »
Makes me think of some bizarre laws I heard about a while ago...

for instance, in California: A city ordinance states that a $500 fine will be given to anyone who detonates a nuclear device within city limits.
and in Washington: It is mandatory for a motorist with criminal intentions to stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town.
also in Washington: All motor vehicles must be preceded by a man carrying a red flag (daytime) or a red lantern (nighttime) fifty feet in front of said vehicle.

For more such ridiculous laws: http://www.2spare.com/item_66642.aspx
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 04:26:23 PM by ftf »

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 04:25:49 PM »
Yes they have insane laws

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 04:27:43 PM »
A city ordinance states that a $500 fine will be given to anyone who detonates a nuclear device within city limits.
:D :D :D :D

Shot at 2010-01-03

ftf

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 04:38:06 PM »
And they say that the west has a good legal system...

I could just see it, after someone backed by the iranians destroys california with a nuclear bomb they will refer to that law, pay their $500 fine and head back to iran to pick up another bomb.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 04:40:29 PM by ftf »

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 05:14:13 PM »
And they say that the west has a good legal system...

I could just see it, after someone backed by the iranians destroys california with a nuclear bomb they will refer to that law, pay their $500 fine and head back to iran to pick up another bomb.
In new England they have very funny laws

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 05:24:31 PM »
Imerica...are you alright?

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 05:25:31 PM »
When I was little I had a book about these laws and in the title was that it was illegal to put a donkey in the bathtub.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Shot at 2010-01-03

ftf

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 06:04:21 PM »
I think that the law in Washington stating that: It is mandatory for a motorist with criminal intentions to stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town.

Is more ridiculous than the law against bathing a donkey.