Author Topic: JTF english Yeshiva. Need ideas, recomendations, etc  (Read 2747 times)

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
JTF english Yeshiva. Need ideas, recomendations, etc
« on: May 01, 2007, 11:13:58 PM »
I think it would be a good idea to have a JTF english Yeshiva.  My idea is doing audio only recordings compressed to wma format.  I already said that I can probably commit 10 recordings.  Question is who else wants to commit and what do you guys want the recordings to have on them?  We need more than one person.  And who is interested in listening to them.  If no one is interested then it's not worth the effort. 

Choices so far (feel free to add what you know how to do and are confident in recording):  1) Lectures on the fundaments of Judaism like the Oral Law and other things explained by people  2) Simple hebrew-english reading of Pirkai Avot 3) Simple hebrew-english reading of the Torah either with the Trup (incantillations) or without them.  Possibly summary of Rashi added once in a while.  What section you want to do? 4) Hebrew english reading of selected sections of the Rambam 5) Selective hebrew english readings of selective sections of the Shulchan Aruch (Jewish Code of Law) like the beginning
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 11:18:41 PM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline Dominater96

• Senior JTFer
Re: JTF english Yeshiva. Need ideas, recomendations, etc
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 09:29:25 PM »
I would like the Rambam, and Shulchan Aruch. Also if some1 would summarize Ohr Harayon, like once a week, and give a ohr harayon class.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 11:39:42 PM »
Or Harayon is only in hebrew right?  Is it available online?
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"

Offline Dominater96

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 12:04:10 AM »
It is also in english. I own a english edition, but they are rare. It might b available through Yekutiel, or Hameir.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 12:15:15 AM »
So if it is in English already then why give a  Shiur on it?  They could just read the book.  Also which section of the Shulchan Aruch and Rambam you like?

Offline Dominater96

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 01:16:14 AM »
The class wouldnt be for me. Hilchot Melachim is a good start for rambam.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 01:50:27 AM »
OK thanks for the help.  Looks like we don't have enough contributers or any potential listeners at this time so the English Yeshiva idea is on hold since it would not be worth the effort.  Maybe in the future when there is a demand it will be a good idea. 

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 03:40:28 PM »
I would like the Rambam, and Shulchan Aruch. Also if some1 would summarize Ohr Harayon, like once a week, and give a ohr harayon class.

Some written summaries would be good.  Chabad's website probably has at worst, some decent stuff. 

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 01:09:30 AM »
What about this site:

http://www.torah.org/learning/