Author Topic: Wal-Mart profit rises 22 percent for 4Q  (Read 1568 times)

Online Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
Wal-Mart profit rises 22 percent for 4Q
« on: February 18, 2010, 11:05:26 PM »
http://www.onenewsnow.com/Headlines/Default.aspx?id=902426

NEW YORK - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. reported a 22 percent increase in its fourth-quarter profit as the world's largest retailer cut costs and slimmed down its inventories

But a key measure of sales showed its third consecutive quarterly decline, the discounter said Thursday, as it continues to grapple with deflation in groceries and electronics and a tough economy. The company also offered a tepid earnings outlook.

Wal-Mart shares fell 82 cents to $53.24 in premarket trading.

The sales weakness is happening even as the discounter sees more customers and takes market share away from its rivals with aggressive discounting. Wal-Mart has promised investors that it plans to widen the price gap between itself and rivals as it cut costs and reinvests those savings to lower prices for shoppers, which in turn drives sales.

Wal-Mart earned $4.63, or $1.21 per share, in the quarter ended Jan. 31. That compares with $3.8 billion, or 96 cents per share, in the same quarter last year.

The company says that total sales rose 4.4 percent to $113.6 billion. However, sales at stores open at least a year fell 1.6 percent. That's considered an important measure of a retailer's health.

Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expected a profit of $1.12 per share on revenue of $114.4 billion.

Mike Duke, Wal-Mart's president and chief executive, said in a statement that he expects continued strong growth from its international business this year but that U.S. sales will be more challenging in the first quarter.

"We remain focused on growing top line sales and expect improvement in the U.S. as the year progresses," he said.

Wal-Mart's U.S. division had a 0.5 percent decline in total sales to $70.97 billion in the quarter; Sam's Club sales increased 3.8 percent to $12.28 billion. The company's international business enjoyed a 19.5 percent gain to $29.57 billion.

Wal-Mart's U.S. division dragged down the company's sales at stores open at least a year. The namesake U.S. division suffered a 2 percent drop in the measurement, while Sam's Club had a 0.7 percent increase. That excludes sales from fuel. Analysts had expected sales at stores opened at least a year to be unchanged from a year ago.

Wal-Mart also said earnings for the first quarter would be in a range of 81 cents to 85 cents, on the light side of 85 cents expected by analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters.

Wal-Mart, which generated a little more than $400 billion in sales in its latest fiscal year, is considered a key barometer of consumer spending, so economists closely monitor sales trends at the discounter that could indicate what kind of economic recovery the nation would face. Consumer spending _ including such items as health care _ accounts for 70 percent of U.S. economic activity.

Wal-Mart has been able to grab wealthier consumers trading down from higher-priced stores. But the discounter has also seen growing signs of financial strain among its core customers, noticing pronounced swings in spending between paycheck cycles.

To keep pulling in shoppers, the company is cutting costs such as how much inventory it carries and reinvesting those savings to lower prices for shoppers, which in turn drives sales. That increased revenue will in turn help the chain lower costs through efficiency, company officials have maintained.

As part of its cost-cutting strategy, Wal-Mart is consolidating some of it sourcing with Chinese exporter Li & Fung, which is forming a new company to manage the Wal-Mart Stores account and will buy goods valued at about $2 billion within its first year.

Wal-Mart has also been making trims throughout the year, cutting almost 14,000 jobs in the past 13 months. Earlier this month, it cut 300 administrative jobs at its headquarters.
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Wal-Mart profit rises 22 percent for 4Q
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 11:20:46 PM »
Hoo-Ray!
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 06:28:41 AM »
Wal-Mart sucks.  They treat their workers like crap and have crippled small businesses all over this country.

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 06:46:34 AM »
I don't shop at Wal-Mart that much, but I don't like seeing American businesses and companies failing due to Obama's policies.

Offline Secularbeliever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 08:16:25 AM »
Wal-Mart sucks.  They treat their workers like crap and have crippled small businesses all over this country.
They cripple small businesses by offering lower prices and better products.  I don't know if it is that bad to work for them. I am a landlord to a Family Dollar Store and they make Walmart look upscale by comparison.
We all need to pray for Barack Obama, may the Lord provide him a safe move back to Chicago in January 2,013.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 08:41:55 AM »
Wal-Mart sucks. They treat their workers like crap and have crippled small businesses all over this country.

What's to stop you from opening up your own store and offering good prices?

Tell the IRS to stop taxing the little guys to death.
Tell King Obama to stop raping us thru taxes.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 10:48:51 AM »
I don't find anything wrong with walmart. Well I do one thing, they don't have a store in Queens. I heard they show new workers anti-union videos when they began work. But since I don't work there that doesn't bother me at all.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 11:26:51 AM »
I worked for that company before and I really don't like the way I was treated. They don't so much show anti-union videos. At least I never saw one that was blatantly anti-union. They did show a video talking about their "open door policy" which was a total joke. We are told the open door policy is just as good as a union. You're not even allowed to say the word union or you could get into serious trouble.

The store I worked at changed when Wal-mart had a "year of diversity". I was screwed out of a promotion and the position when opened was given only to blacks. This was very painful emotionally for me because they had me train these animals and used dirty tactics to deny me the promotion.

After I left for a year or so I saw one of the people who was still working there and she told me they were joking about the store being called gay mart because most of the cashiers were now black lesbians. She was a white girl but she was also a lesbian so I think she was spared the axe for that reason.

Another wal-mart nearby that I go to sometimes to buy stuff is almost always all-black cashiers. There's occasionally one white cashier. I feel sorry for them because I know they are automatically devalued by the company but probably work the hardest.

Offline Secularbeliever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 12:02:46 PM »
They did show a video talking about their "open door policy" which was a total joke. We are told the open door policy is just as good as a union.<<

Rubystars my experience with people who talk about an open door policy is that it is largely hot air.  The only time it comes into effect is that if you try to use it you are offered an open door to walk away from your job.  Anyway, Walmart is still one of America's greatest business success stories.
We all need to pray for Barack Obama, may the Lord provide him a safe move back to Chicago in January 2,013.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 12:27:22 PM »
They did show a video talking about their "open door policy" which was a total joke. We are told the open door policy is just as good as a union.<<

Rubystars my experience with people who talk about an open door policy is that it is largely hot air.  The only time it comes into effect is that if you try to use it you are offered an open door to walk away from your job.  Anyway, Walmart is still one of America's greatest business success stories.

I don't think it's the same company it was when Sam Walton was alive. It's turned into yet another evil corporation. There's another aspect to it too. Long-time associates had an almost cult-like loyalty to Wal-mart. Wal-mart was literally their religion.

As a cashier I was spared most of the meetings where they have to do that stupid Wal-mart dance. One time I was laughing about it and saying it was really silly that they made some people do that and this floor associate got really offended and said that I shouldn't make fun of it, and it wasn't stupid, etc. I said "yeah but don't you feel at least a little silly when you do that?" The idea made her furious. I had obviously offended her religion, and she bore me a grudge ever since then.

One time one of the managers had a seizure and had to take off of work for a while. We weren't sure if he was going to return or not. I mentioned that maybe he could find a job at another company if Wal-mart wouldn't let him back if he was sick. Someone told me that at that level, they are so loyal to Wal-mart that they don't even think about working at another company.

Online Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 01:34:21 PM »
I don't find anything wrong with walmart. Well I do one thing, they don't have a store in Queens. I heard they show new workers anti-union videos when they began work. But since I don't work there that doesn't bother me at all.

It's because unions suck assss. 
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 02:31:10 PM »
why are you against unions for?

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 02:50:46 PM »

It's because unions suck assss. 
Well many companies are very abusive and a good union contract can make sure workers are treated in a correct way. Unions that cripple a company are a problem however many unions today bargain in a reasonable way keep union demands to a reasonable level. I hear horror stories about people who live in right to work states that work for pennies on the dollar and are forced to work 60 and 70 hours a week under regressive overtime rules. I am all for companies having the ability to turn a profit but they should not be able to do it through slave labor.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 05:48:01 PM »
Obviously WM is pressing its twelve-year-old Chinese political prisoner laborers harder.

In regards to Sam Walton, let's not glorify the man. He claimed to be an evangelical Christian but started a multinational corporate colossus that has screwed over billions of human beings all over the world. People like to compare the "glory days" of Walt Disney to the decadent, filthy Disney empire now too, but the truth of the matter is that Walt Disney himself was a vile anti-Semite.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 05:59:14 PM »
I used to be a Walmart basher but they actually pay their employees above minimum wage, I had several friends that worked there. The main controversy is that Walmart doesn't let unions get involved.

Their products really aren't that bad despite the fact most of it is imported from China, but there are some things not imported from China, I buy ammo at Walmart and it's made in America, same with their firearms.

Oddly, a 20 dollar pair of no name brand sneakers have lasted me longer than some Nike shoes that cost me 100 bucks.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 10:18:03 PM »
Rubystars,

Sounds like a cult.  Sorry that you had that experience there, what you describe with the dancing and the fealty that this people feel for Walmart.  You mentioned the discrimination as well.  I think people are going through that all over.  I see good, smart hardworking people passed over for promotions and ironically tortured out of positions: it's sick

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 01:11:40 AM »
Regarding Jews and Unions: 

Read some history -- here pertaining to the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire and as it relates to sweatshops and International Ladies Garment Workers Union. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_Shirt_Factory

Unions, for some, are evil.  And unions can be very corrupt, true.  And they can get very greedy and they can get out of hand, I agree.  But they served a purpose and still serve a purpose.   

Offline Secularbeliever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 10:04:17 AM »
Obviously WM is pressing its twelve-year-old Chinese political prisoner laborers harder.

In regards to Sam Walton, let's not glorify the man. He claimed to be an evangelical Christian but started a multinational corporate colossus that has screwed over billions of human beings all over the world. People like to compare the "glory days" of Walt Disney to the decadent, filthy Disney empire now too, but the truth of the matter is that Walt Disney himself was a vile anti-Semite.
I don't see how Walton screwed people over.  He made more goods available to more people at better prices.  He raised the standard of living for billions of people.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 03:12:36 AM »
One problem I have with Wal-mart is the vast majority of the stuff they sell is either made in China, Pakistan, or some other country I don't like too much. Unfortunately I still have to shop there sometimes in order to afford some things.

Offline Secularbeliever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 01:50:13 PM »
One problem I have with Wal-mart is the vast majority of the stuff they sell is either made in China, Pakistan, or some other country I don't like too much. Unfortunately I still have to shop there sometimes in order to afford some things.

So they raise your standard of living by making things affordable to you that otherwise you could not afford.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 02:53:04 PM »

So they raise your standard of living by making things affordable to you that otherwise you could not afford.

I could still afford the stuff I would just have to wait longer to get them, I suppose.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 03:47:07 PM »
This is good news to me... The company I work for makes chips which are used in the foreign made equipment, including units made by Sony, Sanyo, Panasonic, Pioneer, and many lesser known Asian and European name brands... So if walmart can sell the units my stock options should go up...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14