Author Topic: School axes prom after lesbian date request  (Read 868 times)

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
School axes prom after lesbian date request
« on: March 11, 2010, 06:21:51 PM »
http://www.onenewsnow.com/Education/Default.aspx?id=932790

ACKSON, MS - A northern Mississippi school district decided Wednesday not to host a high school prom after a lesbian student demanded she be able to attend with her girlfriend and wear a tuxedo. (See earlier story)

Instead, the school board met and issued a statement announcing it wouldn't host the event at Itawamba County Agricultural High School in Fulton, "due to the distractions to the educational process caused by recent events."

The statement didn't mention the student (Constance McMillen, 18) or the ACLU. When asked by The Associated Press if McMillen's demand led to the cancellation, school board attorney Michele Floyd said she could only reference the statement.

"It is our hope that private citizens will organize an event for the juniors and seniors," district officials said in the statement. "However, at this time, we feel that it is in the best interest of the Itawamba County School District, after taking into consideration the education, safety and well being of our students."

he ACLU said a school policy banning same-sex prom dates violated McMillen's constitutional rights.

Kristy Bennett, legal director for the ACLU of Mississippi, said the district was trying to avoid the issue. "But that doesn't take away their legal obligations to treat all the students fairly," Bennett said. "On Constance's behalf, this is unfair to her. All she's trying to do is assert her rights."

The 18-year-old tells AP that the board canceled the prom in retaliation for her request. McMillen also tells The Clarion-Ledger of Jackson, Missisippi, that other students at the school "are really going to hate" her for the board's decision. She indicated to the newspaper that she may have to "change schools or something" because the school will not allow homosexuals to attend the prom.

Itawamba County is a rural area of about 23,000 people in north Mississippi near the Alabama state line. It borders Pontotoc County, Miss., where more than a decade ago school officials were sued in federal court over their practice of student-led intercom prayer and Bible classes.

Anna Watson, a 17-year-old junior at the high school, was looking forward to the prom, especially since the town's only hotspot is the bowling alley, she said. "I am a little bummed out about it. I guess it's a decision that had to be made. Either way someone was going to get disappointed — either Constance was or we were," Watson said. "I don't agree with homosexuality, but I can't change what another person thinks or does."

A Feb. 5 memo to students laid out the criteria for bringing a date to the prom, and one requirement was that the person must be of the opposite sex.

The ACLU said McMillen approached school officials shortly before the memo went out because she knew same-sex dates had been banned in the past. The ACLU said district officials told McMillen she and her girlfriend wouldn't be allowed to arrive together, that she would not be allowed to wear a tuxedo, and that she and her girlfriend might be asked to leave if their presence made any other students "uncomfortable."

McMillen said she feared she would be thrown out of the prom because "we do live in the Bible Belt."
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: School axes prom after lesbian date request
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 06:25:08 PM »
She's trying to "assert her rights" so she steps all over the rights of everyone else.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 07:44:51 PM »
She's trying to "assert her rights" so she steps all over the rights of everyone else.

The act of the typical narcissistic leftwing misfit freak.
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 10:05:04 PM »

I'm not trying to start an argument, but I am curious.  How do you think this young woman should proceed?  Go with a male friend?  Wear a dress and she and her gf so stag?  Not go at all?  Seriously, I'm curious and not trying to be confrontational

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 07:35:35 AM »

I'm not trying to start an argument, but I am curious.  How do you think this young woman should proceed?  Go with a male friend?  Wear a dress and she and her gf so stag?  Not go at all?  Seriously, I'm curious and not trying to be confrontational

I think she should seek help with how to deal with this kind of temptation in a Biblically-appropriate way and not go at all.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 10:21:19 AM »

But you have seen some of these women, do you really think a woman who wants to be the 'man' in a lesbian relationship, donning a tuxedo, playing the role of a masculine 'dyke,' could ever be a frilly feminine normal appearing heterosexual woman?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 10:48:24 AM by JTFenthusiast2 »

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 11:07:40 AM »
I think no one should have made a big deal out of it.  Why does it matter?  There are openly gay kids in every school.  It is 2010.

At the first sign of any inappropriate behavior, at a prom, people should be asked to leave.  That rule should be stated up front. 

I think by doing this, they just called more attention to that couple.

Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 01:33:35 PM »
I think no one should have made a big deal out of it.  Why does it matter?  There are openly gay kids in every school.  It is 2010.

At the first sign of any inappropriate behavior, at a prom, people should be asked to leave.  That rule should be stated up front. 

I think by doing this, they just called more attention to that couple.

I would never choose this for myself for about 100 reasons, but I agree with you.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 01:38:31 PM »

Wear a dress and she and her "gf" go stag sounds about right. Then I'd suggest psychiatric treatment for her mental derangement, so that she can hopefully be cured, and then lead a decent normal wholesome life.
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 03:07:43 PM »
The biblical prohibition against homosexuality is clear.   Homosexuality, in and of itself, is not a psychiatric/mental disorder and hasn't been considered such since 1973.   Freud himself stated that exclusive heterosexuality and homosexuality were both pathological.  I only quote Freud because some people on this forum, not in this post, quote him selectively. In his famous letter to a mother of a homosexual who contacted him rearding the potential benefits of his analyzing her son, he wrote:

"I gather from your letter that your son is a homosexual. I am most impressed by the fact that you do not mention this term yourself in your information about him. May I question you why you avoid it? Homosexuality is assuredly no advantage, but it is nothing to be ashamed of, no vice, no degradation; it cannot be classified as an illness; we consider it to be a variation of the sexual function, produced by a certain arrest of sexual development. Many highly respectable individuals of ancient and modern times have been homosexuals, several of the greatest men among them. (Plato, Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, etc). It is a great injustice to persecute homosexuality as a crime –and a cruelty, too. If you do not believe me, read the books of Havelock Ellis.
By asking me if I can help [your son], you mean, I suppose, if I can abolish homosexuality and make normal heterosexuality take its place. The answer is, in a general way we cannot promise to achieve it. In a certain number of cases we succeed in developing the blighted germs of heterosexual tendencies, which are present in every homosexual; in the majority of cases it is no more possible. It is a question of the quality and the age of the individual. The result of treatment cannot be predicted.

What analysis can do for your son runs in a different line. If he is unhappy, neurotic, torn by conflicts, inhibited in his social life, analysis may bring him harmony, peace of mind, full efficiency, whether he remains homosexual or gets changed.[10]

References
1. Lewes 1988, p. 28
^ Ruse 1988, p. 22
2. a b c Lewes 1988
3. a b Freud 1991, p. 58-59
4. Lewes 1988, p. 58
5. a b c Freud 1991, p. 375
6. a b LeVay 1996, p. 32
7. Freud 1991, p. 376
8. O’Connor & Ryan 1993, p. 30-47
9. Freud 1992, p. 423-424
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:27:48 PM by JTFenthusiast2 »