Author Topic: Hebrew tattoos like it's a fashion statement in the western world (pictures)  (Read 5676 times)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
This is sad, people are going against the verses of the bible and engraving themselves with tattoos in Hebrew, I recently saw someone at a bar and I noticed a tattoo on his elbow in Hebrew. There was a guy on Survivor with a Hebrew tattoo as well about the tribe of Benjamin and there are tons of pictures on the web, lately I've noticed it's like the Americans who get Kanji tattoos on their arms, why would someone defile a holy language like Hebrew by having it engraved on their body?

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 06:21:46 PM by White Israelite »

Offline Ze'ev

• Senior JTFer
Thus the Jews struck all their enemies with the sword, killing and destroying; and they did what they pleased to those who hated them.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Why do you post those pictures here? Maybe someone will see them and desire to desecrate their body in such a horrible manner...

Some people have a sickness which leads them to defile their bodies... They need some mental help, in my opinion.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Why do you post those pictures here? Maybe someone will see them and desire to desecrate their body in such a horrible manner...

Some people have a sickness which leads them to defile their bodies... They need some mental help, in my opinion.

To show what people are doing and see it's a problem.

Does posting pictures of Neuterai Karta burning Israeli flags or waving Palestinian flags encourage our members to do this? We show them to show the issues we are having.

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
I've seen it, too, lately.  It must be the latest "thing".  It sickens my stomach to see Hebrew tattooed on someone's body.  It's a desecration, as I see it.  FEH!

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
I've seen it, too, lately.  It must be the latest "thing".  It sickens my stomach to see Hebrew tattooed on someone's body.  It's a desecration, as I see it.  FEH!

Well thing about it is I have NEVER seen a Hebrew tattoo in the US period until late 2009/early 2010 so it must be something new in the US. I seen one or two Israelis with a tattoo but never any tattoos of Hebrew in the US and now it's becoming as popular as Kanji tattoos here which is weird.

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
A tattoo is permitted for a Gentile. I have some. It's not defiling for a Gentile body. Only Israelites are forbidden to get tattoos. But using Hebrew letters or Israelite designs is wrong. It can be a desecration of Holy Language or even worse Holy Names (Some of these in fact have Shemot). Other Israeli designs, even if not related to Judaism must be avoided lest someone takes the Gentile (who is allowed to get tattoos) for a Jew disobeying the Mitzvot.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
A tattoo is permitted for a Gentile. I have some. It's not defiling for a Gentile body. Only Israelites are forbidden to get tattoos. But using Hebrew letters or Israelite designs is wrong. It can be a desecration of Holy Language or even worse Holy Names (Some of these in fact have Shemot). Other Israeli designs, even if not related to Judaism must be avoided lest someone takes the Gentile (who is allowed to get tattoos) for a Jew disobeying the Mitzvot.

Even Christians that follow the bible say it's wrong.

Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.
Leviticus 19:28

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer

Even Christians that follow the bible say it's wrong.

Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.
Leviticus 19:28

But Noahide Laws do not forbid tattoos. Of course if they do not have any immoral or idolatric image and don't endanger health. Noahides are not guided by Jewish Mitzvot but only the Seven Mitzvot of Bnei Noah. Leviticus also forbids non-kosher, but only to Jews. I doubt those Gentiles who claim to follow Leviticus keep kosher.

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
And that one with the Shema Yisra'el and another one are really annoying and a great desecration. They have the Name in full. I guess the persons who got that tattoos didn't know the seriousness of writting Holy Names in vain. Or perhaps they didn't even know the meaning of the text. Tattoo designers should be more careful.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮

This kind of stuff does the opposite for me. It makes me hate them more.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
People that have something like that done to themselves really have a screw loose somewhere. I bet half the dumb animals that sport the Hebrew Tattoos don't have the first idea what the text means. As far as tattoos go in general most people often regret getting them after a few years go by. What seemed so right at a younger age may lead to regret at a later point. Then there is always the nice blood borne illnesses that can come along with a bad tattoo job. The tattoo may eventually be eradicated at some expense but some of the illnesses transmitted by dirty equipment are for keeps.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
It's dangerous to get a tattoo along the lateral aspect of your neck. If the tattoo artist presses too vigorusly or for too long, they can precipitate an ischemic or embolic stroke

People that have something like that done to themselves really have a screw loose somewhere. I bet half the dumb animals that sport the Hebrew Tattoos don't have the first idea what the text means. As far as tattoos go in general most people often regret getting them after a few years go by. What seemed so right at a younger age may lead to regret at a later point. Then there is always the nice blood borne illnesses that can come along with a bad tattoo job. The tattoo may eventually be eradicated at some expense but some of the illnesses transmitted by dirty equipment are for keeps.

And let's face it, they may be aesthetically pleasing to non-believers on young taut skin, but they look HORRIBLE on older slaggy skin
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 09:53:06 PM by JTFenthusiast2 »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
I am so glad that I grew up in the era when tattoos were counterculture. I had no desire to deface my skin like this.

There are two issues which I have with tattoos and Judaism:

1) Tzniut - Modesty... When a person puts a image on their flesh they usually are seeking attention and want to show that skin and cause others to look. Both men and women need to be concerned with modesty and I find it very un-modest to draw attention to our skin.

2) Honoring Parents / Kibud AvHaIm - When a person is seen in public, especially a person who is attempting to be high class or be amongst people who did not come from trailer trash or low class people this person causes himself to be judged by others. Maybe this will change over time but I still look at women who have tattoos and think that they are prostitutes. Tattoos and immodest dress will cause me to label a woman as a slut because she is seeking attention for her body. This kind of judgment brings dishonor to parents.

People, and Jews especially, have a strong yetzer hara for what is forbidden. The more righteous a Jew tries to become the stronger his yetzer hara becomes. I am sure that most people who have tattoos have justified it in some way so they don't feel guilty for what they have done.

Regarding Tzniut:
http://ohr.edu/ask_db/ask_main.php/76/Q1/
Sheli Berger wrote:

Dear Rabbi,

I understand the reason for married women covering their hair is modesty, yet today a lot of the sheitles (wigs) woman wear are nicer than their real hair. I think the wearing of make-up can be viewed in the same manner. It improves the person's appearance - doesn't this contradict the laws of modesty?

Dear Sheli Berger,

The Halachot of Tzniut - modesty - can be divided into two categories: relative and absolute.

The Halachot of Tzniut which are absolute are the minimal Torah standard. For example, the Talmud states that it is immodest for a man to listen to a woman sing. Similarly, a married woman should cover her hair, and all women should cover the thigh and upper arm. This means covering the elbow and knee - even when sitting.

The other aspect of Tzniut is the relative aspect, which changes based on societal standards. For example, in a place where the accepted style is to wear skirts down to the ankles - as was the style at the turn of the century - a mid-calf skirt would violate the laws of Tzniut.

This relative aspect of Tzniut applies only when the societal standard is more demanding than the Torah's minimal standard, like in the case of the long skirts. But if, for instance, mini-skirts are in vogue, the Torah standard would nevertheless require a woman to cover her knees.

What about wigs? Actually, there are Poskim who forbid wigs. Most people today however follow the opinion that wigs do indeed fulfill the Torah's requirement for a married woman to cover her hair. After all, her hair is covered, and if her wig is in keeping with the societal standards of modesty, then it is OK for her to wear it.

Certainly one reason for modesty is in order not to act in a way that is suggestive or alluring. But any behavior which stands out, as if to say "Look at me" is a lack of modesty. For instance, if mid-calf skirts are in style, someone who wears a floor length skirt, thinking she's being "more" modest, might actually be doing the opposite. By being different from everyone else, she actually calls attention to herself! Perhaps she wants to be noted for her pious behavior, but the result is a lack of Tzniut.

Tzniut is far more than a dress code. A person's attitude towards Tzniut reflects directly on his entire outlook, attitude, and approach to life. Is he interested in externals and what others think of him; or is he striving on an internal level, wondering what G-d thinks of him? If a person's main concern is to do what's right in G-d's eyes, he won't look at life as though it's one big fashion show, and he won't be crushed if he's not listed as one of People Magazine's "ten best dressed."

If a person chooses a wig called "Fantasma" or "Black Magic" this will be easily discernible in her general appearance and the way she carries herself. The cut, color and the way the wig is worn project an image. A modest style projects modesty; a flashy one, flash.

That having been said, it should be noted that Tzniut doesn't require a person to look like "Charlie Brown on Halloween." When the Talmudic Sage Abba Chilkiya would return to the city, his wife used to come out to greet him wearing nice clothes and jewelry. Her intentions were to look attractive for her husband. A person can, and should, always try to look presentable. The main thing is to keep in mind the verse "...what is it that Hashem asks of you, but to act justly, love kindness and to walk with Tzniut with Hashem your G-d."

Sources:

* Tractate Berachot 24a.
    * Mishna Berura 75.
    * Micah 6:8.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 12:17:32 AM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
Muman makes good points, it isn't modest for the reasons he states.  However most Orthodox women of some means wear nice wigs that make them look better, not worse.  This defeats the whole purpose of saving your beauty for your husband and marital life.  I am not saying that I believe or agree with any of this, just positing the possibillity that there is some contradiction here