Author Topic: No Orthodox Shuls within 100 miles, what should I do?  (Read 3704 times)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
No Orthodox Shuls within 100 miles, what should I do?
« on: March 17, 2010, 01:40:41 PM »
Some of you know that I am trying to get back on the path to being religious but I am running into some problems. I live in a rural part of Florida and I have yet to find any Jewish population near me (with the exception of a few gentiles who claim their grandma or grandpa was Jewish). I have only seen 3 synagogues here, there is one in Fort Walton Beach called Temple Beth-Shalom (Temple indicating it's a reform establishment)

The website
http://fl019.urj.net/

There's 2 in Pensacola, one is reform and the other is messianic (isn't that like Jesus worshippers or something?)

Temple Beth-El Congregation
http://templebethelofpensacola.org/index.cfm?

And i'm not even going to bother posting that Messianic one. In the event that a orthodox shul is absent, should I just attend these? It's also a problem for sabbath.

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: No Orthodox Shuls within 100 miles, what should I do?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 01:51:46 PM »
Messianic sounds like they believe in Jesus.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 01:51:58 PM »
I have a feeling you'd be more Jewish and more knowledgeable of Torah than a reformed "Rabbi". In terms of religious practice, you'd probably be better off doing your prayers on your own, from what I understand the reformed "Jews" do their services in english, and they even mimic Christian services with church-like organ music, for those that do that, I wonder why they don't just convert to Christianity and go to a church if they want to emulate Christianity so badly. In my opinion, the only thing those synagogues would serve is if maybe you'd like to network with other Jews in the area, regardless of how badly they practice.
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 02:04:25 PM »
I called that reform temple and they said there is a conservative one also in Pensacola, would this be a better choice? I know Conservative had similar standards to Orthodox back in the 70's but i'm not sure their track record today.

http://www.bnaiisraelpensacola.org/

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 02:08:18 PM »
I called that reform temple and they said there is a conservative one also in Pensacola, would this be a better choice? I know Conservative had similar standards to Orthodox back in the 70's but i'm not sure their track record today.

http://www.bnaiisraelpensacola.org/

Conservative if far better than reformed! Go to the Conservative synagogue if your choice is between them and reformed.

Here, take a look at this, http://urj.org/about/reform/whatisreform/ :thumbsdown: I have a feeling they're completely at odds with your values, they are at odds with mine. 

Offline IsraeliGovtAreKapos

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 02:08:39 PM »
                                                                בס"ד

Going to a Reform/Conservative "Synagouge" is the same
as going to a Church or a Mosque.

At least Mosques aren't a House of Prayer for idol worshippers.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 02:10:48 PM »
                                                               בס"ד

You're wrong about the Conservative synagogue, they're not bad. The reformed I agree is BS "Judaism".

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 02:12:34 PM »
                                                               בס"ד

I just got off the phone with the Conservative Synagogue and they seem to have quite a major difference from reform, the lady I spoke to on the phone from the reform temple didn't seem to know the difference with reform, orthodox or conservative but apparently they allow female rabbis. It sounds like circumcision isn't even required.

There's also one in Destin but I'm not sure what they are, It's called Beth Israel Of Destin

http://www.synagogueofdestin.com/

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 02:13:42 PM »
                                                               בס"ד

You're wrong about the Conservative synagogue, they're not bad. The reformed I agree is BS "Judaism".

I agree... I was Bar Mitzvahed in a Conservative synagogue and if not for that experience I probably wouldn't have done Teshuva seven years ago.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 02:14:37 PM »
                                                               בס"ד

I just got off the phone with the Conservative Synagogue and they seem to have quite a major difference from reform, the lady I spoke to on the phone from the reform temple didn't seem to know the difference with reform, orthodox or conservative but apparently they allow female rabbis. It sounds like circumcision isn't even required.

There's also one in Destin but I'm not sure what they are, It's called Beth Israel Of Destin

http://www.synagogueofdestin.com/

I'm not surprised, reformed don't know what it is to be a Jew, I wouldn't be surprised if they served ham n' cheese sandwiches with a glass of milk at the cafeteria.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 02:15:25 PM »
I suggest that you daven the Orthodox siddur on Shabbat and do not travel on Shabbat to go to these shuls... It is better to pray alone than to violate the mitzvot. I sometimes go to the progressive/liberal shul in town just so I can stay a part of the community and I hope that my ideas and thoughts rub off on them. I know that they are very glad when I come to their events... The liberal Rabbi loves to talk to me about what I am learning.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 02:20:16 PM »
                                                    בס"ד

the Conservatives are just as bad as the Reformed. The Conservatives think that the Halacha should be "changeable" and should be "suited" to the "changes of time".

Just like the Reformed, they have what they call:
An acceptance of both traditional rabbinic modes of study and modern scholarship and critical text study when considering Jewish religious texts.

This is one road to Christianity/Reformism.  

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 02:20:36 PM »
Good News, the Synagogue in Destin is Orthodox. It's also Sephardic and mainly people from Israel :)

21 miles from me so bit of a drive, no good for Sabbath but I can try to relocate there I suppose. Destins a bit pricey though the area I live (Gulf Breeze) isn't much cheaper.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 02:23:41 PM »
                                                   בס"ד

the Conservatives are just as bad as the Reformed. The Conservatives think that the Halacha should be "changeable" and should be "suited" to the "changes of time".

An acceptance of both traditional rabbinic modes of study and modern scholarship and critical text study when considering Jewish religious texts.

But it also keeps Jews Jewish and some day they will do teshuva. I cannot speak any evil of Conservative since the movement is what kept my family Jewish. Certainly because it is non-halachic in many respects it is not a true Judaism. This is why I have been attending an Orthodox shul and observing as many mitzvot as I can...

I suspect that the vast majority of modern Baal Teshuvas have experience in the Conservative synagogue.

PS: Halacha does change over time. This is why Rabbis are required in order to adjust Halachas to the modern world. Obviously laws cannot be abandoned, but Halacha is an open book in that every day presents new questions for Halacha {i.e. Shabbat in space, etc.}

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 02:24:34 PM »
                                                       בס"ד

Well Michael you know what I always say: no compromise on Torah [on principles].

PS: Halacha does change over time. This is why Rabbis are required in order to adjust Halachas to the modern world. Obviously laws cannot be abandoned, but Halacha is an open book in that every day presents new questions for Halacha {i.e. Shabbat in space, etc.}

Of course, but you should differentiate between the changes the Rabbis are doing and should be doing & the un-needed and sinful changes the Conservatives & Reforms are doing such as female Rabbis etc.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 02:27:01 PM »
                                                   בס"ד

But it also keeps Jews Jewish and some day they will do teshuva. I cannot speak any evil of Conservative since the movement is what kept my family Jewish. Certainly because it is non-halachic in many respects it is not a true Judaism. This is why I have been attending an Orthodox shul and observing as many mitzvot as I can...

I suspect that the vast majority of modern Baal Teshuvas have experience in the Conservative synagogue.

I know the Rabbis that married my uncles and their parents started off Conservative and then became Orthodox sometime in the late 70's, one of them is Rabbi Jay Karzen in Jerusalem and he's well respected. I think this is the period when Conservative Judaism started becoming "liberal" and many switched over.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 02:27:37 PM »
                                                       בס"ד

Well Michael you know what I always say: no compromise on Torah [on principles].

I am not suggesting anyone compromise... But to say that Conservative is as evil as reform is just wrong. My conservative shul davened in Hebrew while the reform davened in english...

Of course any deviation in Torah ideas is dangerous but this is the world we live in today. I certainly recommend all Jews to observe the commandments from the Orthodox perspective. But everyone is not so lucky to be born in a frum family.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 02:28:14 PM »
                                                       בס"ד

Okay, I'll see you at the next stoning of the sinners.   :laugh:

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 02:31:14 PM »
                                                        בס"ד

בס"ד

I am not suggesting anyone compromise... But to say that Conservative is as evil as reform is just wrong. My conservative shul davened in Hebrew while the reform davened in english...

Of course any deviation in Torah ideas is dangerous but this is the world we live in today. I certainly recommend all Jews to observe the commandments from the Orthodox perspective. But everyone is not so lucky to be born in a frum family.

They're just as evil because like the Reforms they make people think they represent real Judaism and that's why I said so. Reforms do more sins but Reforms don't even know what Halacha is - Conservatives do.

בס"ד

Okay, I'll see you at the next stoning of the sinners.   :laugh:

So I presume you're a Conservative.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 02:31:26 PM »
I can't say i'm observant because I haven't stepped foot in a shul in years. When my father was sick, we never went and my mother strayed from her path. Do I just step foot into shul and I am accepted or how does it work? I know this sounds weird, I am Jewish and I follow kashrut but I need to be religious and I need assistance in how I should approach this.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 02:32:37 PM »
                                                        בס"ד

בס"ד

They're just as evil because like the Reforms they make people think they represent real Judaism and that's why I said so. Reforms do more sins but Reforms don't even know what Halacha is - Conservatives do.

בס"ד

Yes and you are [censored] me off.  >:(

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 02:34:17 PM »
                                                          בס"ד

בס"ד

בס"ד

בס"ד

You'd be feeling the same way if you were eating pork or something I'd be rebuking you

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 02:34:56 PM »
Guys please stop fighting, I just asked a question no need for fellow Jews here to fight.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 02:35:35 PM »
                                                          בס"ד

בס"ד

בס"ד

בס"ד

You'd be feeling the same way if you're eating pork or something I'd be rebuking you

Conservatives are Kosher. You are being a arrogant pr**k and talking more out of you're as* on the subject than anything else.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 02:40:45 PM »
I suggest everyone attempt to observe Torah as best as they can. All Jews can make Teshuva, hopefully sooner than later. I do not think Conservatives are evil. If a person consciously decides that they don't want to observe the mitzvot then this is wrong, and it should be rebuked. But many people are brought up in the system and they don't know better. What those who are religious can do is extend a hand out to the community, this is called Kiruv and if not for Kiruv I probrobly would not find myself at the level of observance I am at. A wonderful Orthodox Rabbi was doing outreach in my liberal/progressive synagogue {the only one within walking distance of my house} and with Hashems blessing I am now on the proper derech.