Author Topic: Exercising harder keeps weight off longer  (Read 5226 times)

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
Exercising harder keeps weight off longer
« on: May 08, 2007, 01:40:03 AM »
 Reuters Health

Monday, April 30, 2007

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - People who consistently engage in high levels of exercise over the long haul are the most successful at losing weight and keeping it off, a new study shows.

Among a group of overweight men and women participating in an 18-month weight loss program, those who were still getting 75 minutes of exercise daily a year after the program ended had lost 12 kilograms (26 pounds), compared to 0.8 kg (1.8 pounds) for people who were exercising less.

But only 13 of the 154 people who completed the study were able to sustain this level of activity, Dr. Deborah F. Tate of the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill and her colleagues found. "Strategies are needed to help participants maintain high levels of activity over the long-term," she and her colleagues conclude in a report in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

The researchers initially assigned 202 people to either a high physical activity group who aimed to burn 2,500 calories per week (equivalent to a 75-minute walk daily) or standard behavioral treatment, including 30 minutes of exercise daily, equivalent to 1,000 calories per week.

Twelve and 18 months later, people in the high activity group had lost significantly more weight than those in the lower activity group.

Although the participants in the high activity group were able to sustain the 2,500 calorie per week exercise goal during the 18-month study, their activity level declined once treatment ended, which resulted in no between-group differences in activity or weight loss at 2.5 years.

However, a small subgroup of people who stuck to the 2,500 calorie per week exercise regimen after the 18-month treatment period ended maintained a significantly larger weight loss than those who didn't exercise as much.

People who maintained high levels of exercise were also eating fewer calories and less fat.

The researchers believe that their e-mails, mailings and phone calls to study participants for the initial 18 months of the study were successful in helping them to reach exercise goals; continuing to stay in touch may have helped them sustain this level of activity.

"It is also possible that sustaining the long-term behavior changes that are needed for behaviors such as physical activity will require changes in the larger social and environmental context in which these behaviors occur," they conclude.

SOURCE: American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, April 2007.

Reuters Health

Copyright © 2007 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

ftf

Re: Exercising harder keeps weight off longer
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 04:47:39 PM »
It's simple, 100 pressups, 100 situps, 100 squats every night before bed, and you won't get fat.

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 05:24:56 PM »
It's simple, 100 pressups, 100 situps, 100 squats every night before bed, and you won't get fat.
That is really boring! I find a run every morning helps. I am fotunate to live in an area which has many hills which I walk on reguarly. This keeps me in good shape.

ftf

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 05:49:14 PM »
I'm also trying to build muscles, and running does nothing for your arm muscles, and not much for your stomach muscles.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 06:49:48 PM »
Someone help me out.  I still can't get past 30 back to back push ups.
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

ftf

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 07:08:52 AM »
Do something like this then: 30 pressups, 30 situps, 30 squats, 30 pressups, 30 situps, 30 squats, 30, pressups, 30 situps, 30 squats, 10 pressups, 10  situps, 10 squats.

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 12:23:25 PM »
Do something like this then: 30 pressups, 30 situps, 30 squats, 30 pressups, 30 situps, 30 squats, 30, pressups, 30 situps, 30 squats, 10 pressups, 10  situps, 10 squats.

Lifting weights develops muscles without the tedium of pressups

ftf

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 12:28:49 PM »
With weight lifting you are more likely to injure yourselfs, larger quantities of lighter exercises are healthier than smaller quantities of heavier exercises.

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 01:00:47 PM »
More boring. (Cliché time: Fitness can be fun)

Scriabin

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 01:56:01 PM »

Lifting weights develops muscles without the tedium of pressups

Why do you want to build muscles?  For vanity's sake?

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 07:31:18 PM »
ftf says he is short. He needs to compensate  ;)

ftf

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 05:07:36 AM »
I want to be stronger for Judo, I'm the physically weakest regular attender at my club.

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 08:47:14 AM »
Judo is a good way of keeping fit.

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 07:41:46 PM »
I weight lift a lot and I fully encourage others to do weight lifting and that includes women, for women I am not saying to bench 100 lbs but 10, 15 even 20 lbs is fine. Women won't end up being muscled up looking like men unless they taking steroids. They would be firmly toned. It does help strengthen for men by burning fat and replacing fat weight with muscle weight. It also keeps your heart very healthy.  But with weights being from someone that does that always take precaution of what you can lift and your health risks. I would not encourage weight lifting for someone who has a bad heart but if you are concidered in good healthy condition they yes go for it.  Even some dumbells.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 05:20:58 AM »
I think it's ugly for men to have those big muscles also. I think it's looks pretty gay.

What about men who don't have abnormally large muscles, but large enough to be noticible?

Scriabin

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 09:57:50 AM »
There's nothing wrong with men having muscles...we're supposed to.

Real power however, comes from using one's body weight in the most effective manner.

Weight lifting is NOT healthy exercise.  The best exercise is INTERNAL exercise. Correct breathing habits, the stretching and lengthening of all the tissues and joints of the body.  These are healthy kinds of exercise.

Try Ba-Gua, Tai-Chi, Chi-Gung, Hsing-i, Yoga, etc., but find a GOOD teacher...there are many bad ones.

Lifting weights is an unhealthy, EXTERNAL form of exercise.

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 01:03:15 PM »
It is good to do some external excersise sometimes though, break into a sweat and let out all your anger.

Scriabin

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 01:10:25 PM »
It is good to do some external excersise sometimes though, break into a sweat and let out all your anger.

Of course. 

A good internal workout can do this too.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 05:24:29 PM »
If you workout properly it is healthy,the problem is alot of kids want to bench 500 after working out a year
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 07:32:39 PM »
First of all I would never recommend anyone lifting weights till atleast they are 15 especially boys they are still in physical development.  And weight lifting is perfectly fine mixed in with cardio excersize, biking, tredmills when its a nice day out, walk.  The right diet and working out is the perfect combination but people have to be dedicated. Now I am not saying to make muscles that you look like a Gorilla but the stronger those muscles are the better your conditioning. 
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2007, 03:13:53 PM »
First of all I would never recommend anyone lifting weights till atleast they are 15 especially boys they are still in physical development.  And weight lifting is perfectly fine mixed in with cardio excersize, biking, tredmills when its a nice day out, walk.  The right diet and working out is the perfect combination but people have to be dedicated. Now I am not saying to make muscles that you look like a Gorilla but the stronger those muscles are the better your conditioning. 

I agree with this completely. I do not believe yoga and the like do much in the way of physical fitness.

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2007, 03:17:55 PM »
And people should join for gyms that offer cardio

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2007, 06:04:50 PM »
As much as I'm in favor of healthy living you've still gotta get a laugh  out of this one:

This Is Not Sound Medical Advice – Please Consult A Health Practitioner Before Implementing This Advice.

April Fool's Health Tip

Health Question & Answer Session:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life; is this true?

A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it... don't waste them on exercise. Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer; that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?

A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat? Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance of vegetable products.
Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?

A: No, not at all. Wine is made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine, that means they take the water out of the fruity bit so you get even more of the goodness that way. Beer is also made out of grain. Bottoms up!
Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?

A: Well, if you have a body and you have fat, your ratio is one to one. If you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.
Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?

A: Can't think of a single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No Pain...Good!
Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?

A: YOU'RE NOT LISTENING!!!. Foods are fried these days in vegetable oil. In fact, they're permeated in it. How could getting more vegetables be bad for you?
Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?

A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger. You should only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.
Q: Is chocolate bad for me?

A: Are you crazy? HELLO ...... Cocoa beans! Another vegetable!!! It's the best feel-good food around!
Q: Is swimming good for your figure?

A: If swimming is good for your figure, explain whales to me.
Q: Is getting in-shape important for my lifestyle?

A: Hey! 'Round' is a shape!
Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.

And Remember: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - a large Jack in one hand - a large cigar in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

ftf

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2007, 07:13:57 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen so much bad health related advice on one page before, thanks for the laugh lubab.

Offline Bodhi

• Full JTFer
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2007, 04:55:11 PM »
Someone help me out.  I still can't get past 30 back to back push ups.

Do one more every day, your body will handle it pretty much indefinitely.  I can do probably do about 50 straight, and 6 months ago much to my shock I couldn't do 20 pushups...I used to bench press 200 pounds for sets of ten so I really freaked out when I realized I couldn't even do 20 solid pushups...I did one more every day until I convinced myself that I was doing enough...but 30 is actually pretty good, if you can do 10 sets of 30 you are probably in better shape than 90% of the people you pass on the street.

Quitters never win, and winners never quit.......just do a little more each day.