Author Topic: J [Jewboy] street does something very stupid  (Read 1042 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
J [Jewboy] street does something very stupid
« on: May 11, 2010, 05:31:26 AM »
i don't care for Elie weisal mysel ,but this ad by Jstreet  was really dumb   

http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Columnists/Article.aspx?id=175249   

Photo by: 
Another dumb move by J Street
By SHMULEY BOTEACH
11/05/2010 11:02

The organization’s attack on Elie Weisel, after his ad on Jerusalem appeared in major US newspapers, was pure PR suicide.

Pity J Street head Jeremy Ben-Ami and his we-condemn-Israel-because-we-love-it lobby. In the recent tension between the Obama administration and the Jewish state over building in Jerusalem, the pro-Israel camp was represented by Elie Wiesel, whose full-page ads in major American papers criticized President Barack Obama’s ban on Jews living anywhere in the holy city. The ads, as with everything Wiesel writes, were haunting, and deeply personal.

“For me, the Jew that I am, Jerusalem is above politics. It is mentioned more than 600 times in Scripture and not a single time in the Koran. Its presence in Jewish history is overwhelming. There is no more moving prayer in Jewish history than the one expressing our yearning to return to Jerusalem... The first song I heard was my mother’s lullaby about and for Jerusalem.”

The letter caused such angst in the White House that Obama changed his schedule to invite the Nobel Peace laureate to a private lunch in order not to appear out of sync with him. Like Lyndon Johnson, who panicked when he lost Walter Cronkite over Vietnam, Obama understood that losing Wiesel over his Middle East policy would spell almost certain doom.

But while the president behaved courteously, Ben-Ami did precisely the opposite. Not content with Judaism’s greatest living personality having the last word, the J Street head quickly responded to Wiesel with full-page versions of a bizarre editorial by Yossi Sarid, the former Meretz politician, utterly unknown to the American public.

The man with whom Oprah travelled to Auschwitz and whose book Night she chose as a main selection of her book club and whose novels are studied in the world’s leading universities, was dismissed by Sarid as a writer ignorant of current events. “You know much about the heavenly Jerusalem, but less so about its counterpart here on earth.”

SARID WAS only getting started. Next he accused Wiesel of being naïve and easily misled. “Someone has deceived you, my dear friend.” Sarid’s friendship would intensify two paragraphs later, when he accused a most eloquent voice for the oppressed of being a religious fanatic “imbuing our current conflict with messianic hues.”

Finally, not content with his dismissal of Wiesel as ignorant and fanatical, he concluded that Wiesel intentionally sought to mislead and misinform others. “It is unfortunate that a man of your standing must confuse fundamental issues and confound the reader.”

How unfortunate that Ben-Ami and Sarid were not able to forewarn the gullible American president not to invite the ignorant Holocaust survivor to lunch! Which brings me back to Jeremy Ben-Ami, whom I would like to address directly.

JEREMY, MY dear Jewish brother. Since the launch of J Street not long ago you have tried hard, like any effective CEO, to make a name for your organization. The methods you have used, however, appear to involve a cavalcade of insults and attacks. While this has worked in the short term, I am fairly certain it will backfire in the long run.

Last September I wrote a column commenting on your statements in a New York Times Magazine feature where you insulted all staunch American Jewish supporters of Israel as paranoids who believe the world is filled with murderous anti-Semites. Surely that kind of character assassination indicates significant insecurity about your message. Not that I blame you. I realize you have the most difficult job of any Jewish organizational head in the world, namely running an organization that purports to be pro-Israel but invariably finds itself in the company of Israel’s worst enemies and critics.

But even so, I never believed that someone as media-savvy as you would make the mistake of spending money on full-page ads attacking Elie Wiesel. That, my brother, is pure PR suicide.

I twice hosted Prof. Wiesel at Oxford University for public lectures, and more than 2,000 non-Jewish students hung on his every word. I took him to lecture to the Mormon Church in Utah where thousands more felt awed to simply stand in the same room, and just months ago I hosted him at a seminar of values in New York City where you could hear a pin drop, as more than 1,000 people stood in line to hear him.

In each of these forums, people from all walks of life came to bask in the light of the man regarded as the most courageous living voice for victims of hatred and genocide. He is regarded by most as a living saint, and his books, are among the most influential of modern times. You might as well take out ads savaging Nelson Mandela, Mother Theresa or the Dalai Lama.

I suggest your PR consultant be fired and that you recalibrate your message to simply criticize Israel, which J Street has done with considerable success, rather than attack the voice of the six million which has, predictably, brought an avalanche of condemnation in print and over the Internet.

And Jeremy, my brother, please be advised that while my advice is free, Wiesel’s words are priceless.

The writer, founder of This World: The Values Network, is publishing this week his new book Renewal: A Guide to the Values-Filled Life (Basic Books). www.shmuley.com
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline TheCoon

• Master JTFer
Re: J [Jewboy] street does something very stupid
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 08:00:22 AM »
Judaism’s greatest living personality

How sad that Elie Weisel is considered this by so many people.  :'(
The city isn't what it used to be. It all happened so fast. Everything went to crap. It's like... everyone's sense of morals just disappeared. Bad economy made things worse. Jobs started drying up, then the stores had to shut down. Then a black man was elected president. He was supposed to change things. He didn't. More and more people turned to crime and violence... The town becomes gripped with fear. Dark times, dark times... I am the hero this town needs. I am... The Coon!!!

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 09:43:55 AM »
Ohh please.

Nellie the Weasel, yimach schmo, and Jeremy Ben-Ami, yimach schmo, are more likely than not having an affair as we speak.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 09:44:33 AM »
Ohh please.

Nellie the Weasel, yimach schmo, and Jeremy Ben-Ami are more likely than not having an affair as we speak.
:::D :::D :::D :::D :::D
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 09:48:26 AM »
GayStreet needs to go back to doing what they do best, which is putting out ads in newspapers for mens' saunas. Both their usual fanbase and Nellie the Weasel himself certainly like to patronize those establishments.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 09:50:03 AM »
GayStreet needs to go back to doing what they do best, which is putting out ads in newspapers for mens' saunas. Both their usual fanbase and Nellie the Weasel himself certainly like to patronize those establishments.
MANY LEFTISTS PATRONIZE MEN ONLY BATHHOUSES

Shot at 2010-01-03

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 11:00:14 AM »
It would be nice if Nellie the Weasel, Jeremy Ben-Ami, and Shmooley Boteach (yimach schmam vezichram) would all finally just contract AIDS from one of them one of these days.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 11:20:56 AM »
I don't expect much more that what was posted by those who posted here but it is a shame that so much lashon hara is spoken. I don't agree with J-Street and they are certainly against us, but I will not even begin to join those cursing Elie Weisel. Sure I know that he is very much on the left compared to JTFs views, and I know that he probrobly did not support Rabbi Kahane, but this is not a reason to fall to a low level and curse him.

Jewish enemies of the Jewish people are very evil but not every self-hating Jew is an enemy. And we are supposed to be more enlightened, in a Jewish way, and in all the ways of the world, than those who oppose us. Is there much benefit in openly engaging in this kind of evil speech? What I have learned from listening to Torah is that in order to succeed in making Hashems will our will we must be able to control our nature to engage in this negative speech.

Just wanted to say this... I realized a reform Rabbi whom I invited some to curse actually had done many good things for the Jewish people and Israel {besides all the bad things}. It is very wrong for a righteous man to judge another without knowing from where the other person is coming from. This is expressed in a famous Pirkie Avot:

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/680285/jewish/Chapter-Two.htm
Pirkie Avot Chapter 2

Mishnah 4

4.He would also say: Make that His will should be your will, so that He should make your will to be as His will. Nullify your will before His will, so that He should nullify the will of others before your will.

Hillel would say: Do not separate yourself from the community. Do not believe in yourself until the day you die. Do not judge your fellow until you have stood in his place. Do not say something that is not readily understood in the belief that it will ultimately be understood [or: Do not say something that ought not to be heard even in the strictest confidence, for ultimately it will be heard]. And do not say "When I free myself of my concerns, I will study,'' for perhaps you will never free yourself.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14