Author Topic: 'I'm only following orders' Goldstone had other choices  (Read 1035 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
'I'm only following orders' Goldstone had other choices
« on: May 18, 2010, 08:26:22 AM »
http://israelmatzav.blogspot.com/2010/05/reminder-that-goldstone-had-other.html#links 

reminder that Goldstone had other choices

With Richard Goldstone insisting that he was just following orders, the death of another South African of his generation reminds us that there were other choices that could have been made (Hat Tip: Jennifer Rubin).

Frederik van Zyl Slabbert, 70, who helped South Africa chart a peaceful way out of apartheid by leading fellow whites into talks with exiled black leaders, died May 14 at his home in Johannesburg after being treated for a liver-related complication, Reuters reported.

Mr. Slabbert tried to lead, leaving behind an early career as a sociologist in academia to enter politics. He represented the Progressive Federal Party, a precursor to the current opposition Democratic Alliance, in parliament during the apartheid years. He resigned as party leader and left parliament in 1985, during a crackdown on black activists, saying the whites-only legislature was no longer relevant.

Helen Suzman -- who had promoted him as the new face of Arikanerdom and a way of making her all-white, English-dominated progressive party more inclusive and influential -- was angry and saddened when he walked away from parliamentary politics.

Soon afterward, Mr. Slabbert and rights advocate Alex Boraine formed the Institute for a Democratic Alternative in South Africa, known as Idasa, to organize meetings between whites and blacks in apartheid South Africa. The group is now the Institute for Democracy in Africa.

In 1987, Mr. Slabbert led a delegation of white South Africans to Senegal to meet the African National Congress -- which was banned in South Africa at the time but is now the country's governing party. The white government labeled Mr. Slabbert's group traitors.

In a statement Friday, South African President Jacob Zuma said Mr. Slabbert showed "courage and foresight" by going to Senegal.

There were other choices aside from 'following orders.' Small men didn't make them. Great men did.
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Re: 'I'm only following orders' Goldstone had other choices
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 08:45:57 AM »
F Stephen Goldstone.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline TheCoon

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 11:53:23 AM »
So the whites gave up their country to the blacks and South Africa overnight became a hellhole. I think if you talk to many white South Africans they will admit that apartheid was wrong and it needed to end, but the way the country was just given over to the black nazis was horrendous. They harbor resentment towards the blacks and rightfully so.
The city isn't what it used to be. It all happened so fast. Everything went to crap. It's like... everyone's sense of morals just disappeared. Bad economy made things worse. Jobs started drying up, then the stores had to shut down. Then a black man was elected president. He was supposed to change things. He didn't. More and more people turned to crime and violence... The town becomes gripped with fear. Dark times, dark times... I am the hero this town needs. I am... The Coon!!!

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 11:59:45 AM »
Why was apartheid wrong? Crime was at it's lowest it's ever been, people were happy and the country was doing well until sanctions came into place.