Author Topic: Kosher restaurants hiring shvartzas and cukarachas.  (Read 11147 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: Kosher restaurants hiring shvartzas and cukarachas.
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2007, 07:49:12 AM »
I think it's kinda stupid that you wouldn't go to a kosher restaurant just because there are shvartzas working there, but if you want to schlep all the way to Queens (I assume you're in Manhattan), I was at Ben's Best Deli in Rego Park on Queens Blvd. a long time ago, and I don't remember any Jews working there, but I don't remember any schvartas either so...  But otherwise, I can't help you (I don't live in NY).
I hate Ben's Best a few blocks south of Bens is a good kosher yemenite reataurant all the workers are yemenite Jews
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2007, 07:55:12 AM »
I think it's kinda stupid that you wouldn't go to a kosher restaurant just because there are shvartzas working there, but if you want to schlep all the way to Queens (I assume you're in Manhattan), I was at Ben's Best Deli in Rego Park on Queens Blvd. a long time ago, and I don't remember any Jews working there, but I don't remember any schvartas either so...  But otherwise, I can't help you (I don't live in NY).
I hate Ben's Best a few blocks south of Bens is a good kosher yemenite reataurant all the workers are yemenite Jews
When I lived in Queens N.Y many years ago there was a Jewish style Deli on Queens Blv. across from the court houses. Deli Masters or something like that it was very good. Does anyone know if that place is still there?
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2007, 08:16:57 AM »
No it went down hill ..Pastrami king
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2007, 08:23:22 AM »
No it went down hill ..Pastrami king
Yes exactly!! Thats to bad they had nice stuff there. Its been 20 years since I was there last.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline TorahZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2007, 09:39:41 AM »
They are kosher, and are open Saturdays.

Do they have a reliable hechsher?

Offline jabotinsky

• New JTFer
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2007, 09:58:43 AM »
Down with Islam and Christianity and Hindus. Enough appeasing of these Haters and Ovdei Avodah Zarah. Torah before money.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2007, 11:30:35 AM »

I don't know about that, but you can call them and ask them if you like.  Here's their contact information:

Rectangles Cafe & Bar
Address:  1431 1st Ave, New York, NY 10021
Phone:      (212) 744-7470

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2007, 11:34:22 AM »
Down with Islam and Christianity and Hindus. Enough appeasing of these Haters and Ovdei Avodah Zarah. Torah before money.

Actually, we have wonderful, supportive Christians on this forum, and not all Hindus are antisemites. 

Offline TorahZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2007, 11:37:06 AM »

I don't know about that, but you can call them and ask them if you like.  Here's their contact information:

Rectangles Cafe & Bar
Address:  1431 1st Ave, New York, NY 10021
Phone:      (212) 744-7470

I don't live in america so I don't have any plans to eat there.
I just was interested to know which reliable kashrut organisation would give a hechsher to a restaurant open on Shabbat.

Offline BabylonianJew

• Senior JTFer
  • Berber/Shepardic Jew
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2007, 02:31:23 PM »
UGGH, the forum or server or whatever has been going nuts lately and making my replies into entirely new threads.  >:(

Anyway, Lisa, what I meant is that the Mormons are bending over backwards for the illegals in the interest of wooing them for conversion.

Thats true because the Morons belive that Native Americans are Israelities, and that New Jersulem is in the U.S. They belive Mestizos and Native Americans are Laminties, thus Mestizos are partly Lamanite ie Israelities. I hate Mormons because their leaders have made anti-Semitic remarks on the Jews in the past.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2007, 05:31:54 PM »
Why do you hate it?  They make a great knish.

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2007, 05:55:44 PM »
As long as the Shvartzas make a good knish and wash their hands, I wouldn't mind. 
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2007, 08:26:51 PM »
I don'nt like deli and their stew doesn'nt have enough meat
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 08:28:24 PM by mord »

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2007, 08:38:56 PM »
I don'nt like deli and their stew doesn'nt have enough meat
Ok, fair enough.

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2007, 12:06:35 AM »
   Sorry if my response does not go along the JTF ideals, but at least I'll speak out. The problem that I have with these kosher places is that the economics of Laissez Faire does not apply because they get the feeling that they have no competition. Sadly enough I do not keep kosher. I'm willing to pay a little extra for kosher food, but I am not willing to be taken advantage of in order to keep kosher.
   Because many people are kosher observant and will not go elsewhere, most store owners feel that they can do whatever they want and will still get their business. I understand that Kosher food, especially meat is more expensive because someone has to supervise it. This does not apply, however, to certain packaged foods such as drinks. The fact that a store owner often charges double the price for canned and bottled drinks which are already labeled the same everywhen is a sign that they are just taking advantage of the customer. Since I try to somewhat look out for my health, I often want to just have water. Just clean filtered and refrigerated water. I don't want to pay $2.00 for a bottle of water. Isn't $8.00 for my falafel sandwich(which doesn't even fill me up) enough. All the other restaurants appear to serve nice clean drinking water. Why do the Kosher places look at me like I am crazy when I ask for water which they then pour from a dirty sink?
   Also, when the restaurants choose to accept credit cards, they enter into a contract with the credit card companies. Under this agreement, they are not allowed to impose a minimum purchase on transactions. I understand that this cuts into their profits, but it is something they have agreed to in writing. When I either mention that I have no cash on me or that it is illegal to impose the minimum, they try to charge an illegal terminal fee or just do so and try to hide it(which is credit card fraud). How come the other places have no problems abided by the law, while the kosher places think they are above it.
   My list of complaints does not apply everywhere, but does apply to the four main Kosher places in my area. The list goes on when you factor in things suchs as the bad employees discussed in this post and often the lack of staff which results in long lines.
   If a kosher restuarant wants more Jews(who may not be strictly religous) to visit, they need to be competitive at least in service if not price. In fact they should outperform in serve to make up for their higher prices.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2007, 12:48:24 PM »
I don't know if any of you face this problem in NY but over here in London there are numerous cases where restaurants hang up signs saying they are kosher/halal just to take advantage of more customers and they actually aren't.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2007, 01:16:17 PM »
It does occur from time to time probably and i don'nt know London not as much as London.Another thing the prices are much higher then non kosher EVEN THOUGH I EAT KOSHER

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2007, 09:27:32 PM »
   The Second Avenue Deli is an example of a famous place that claims to be kosher and is not. In the US, there is a law that if a merchant advertises their food as kosher it has to be kosher, however, the government does not define what is and what is not kosher. Therefore, if you say something is kosher and put your own label on it you are not violating the law. If you use a reputable label such as that of the orthodox union, you are legally bound by the label's written definition of kosher because the label serves as a contract.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2007, 06:27:54 AM »
I remember last year, when i was a muslim, my mum and I went to a restuarent in the centre, i ordered a drink and was served with a can covered in Hebrew. Then all of a sudden a group of Israelis came storming out of the back room......and behold...we were trapped. My mum was seemingly oblivious to it all but i found it quite menancing, especially when the Israelis decided to stare intently at us extremely hostile.     
 Downwithislam maybe you should cause up a fuss and try to get the illegal aliens sacked. It would be your 2 cents....

Have you been taking lessons from Fruit?

Maybe thats how people in the U.K. speak although my friend from Wales speaks regular except with a Welsh accent

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2007, 09:07:24 AM »
How does a Welsh accent differ from an English accent? I know Scottish accents sound Irish.

I can'nt explain it but it's different not like Irish   I looked it up this can explain it a little BTW my friend is from Swansea as he describes worse city in Wales   The racial breakdown is
Ethnicity 96.8% White
1.3% S. Asian
1.2% Afro-Caribbean
0.3% Chines
good

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/5056236.stm
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 09:15:29 AM by mord »

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2007, 11:47:11 AM »
Its always very hard to understand welsh who speak english, they speak fast and with an unexplainable twinge to their words. I was trying to emphasis on the story since it was quite boring :D...no Mord, people here- in London- either speak freshy english( a combination of indian, bengali, pakistani, tongue mixed with english), or in slang e.g. sup blad, wz gwanin, or normally or chavvy e.g. It was Wellll sccary...nahh ya don say.

Scottish accent is similar to Irish except irish is more heavier almost from the back of the throat and scottish rolls of the tip of the tounge and is lighter.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2007, 11:49:43 AM »
I had a Scot dentist i could'nt understand him at all

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2007, 12:02:29 PM »
My dentist is greek and i don't even try to understand her. She once jerked her hand while it had the drill in it and chipped my molar tooth.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2007, 12:13:09 PM »
My dentist is greek and i don't even try to understand her. She once jerked her hand while it had the drill in it and chipped my molar tooth.
No he's a great dentist he's just hard to understand :D

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2007, 12:51:51 PM »