Author Topic: Firearm possession in Israel - answering CosmoCramer  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
Firearm possession in Israel - answering CosmoCramer
« on: May 14, 2007, 08:17:42 PM »
CosmoCramer,
Your point # 2 was of interest to me too.
I spoke with a famous Israeli shooting champion when I was there. An Israeli totalitarian establishment made it next to impossible for Jews who do not live outside of the "green line" to possess a firearm. That took effect after Rabin was killed.
First of all, you can not, even theoretically, get a gun only for 3 years after you arrival to Israel. So get an Israeli girl-friend or wife as soon as you arrive!  ;)   You can't bring a gun from USA with you as well. Then you can apply for a gun license, but not only you have to be a member of a gun club, you have to participate in competitions and you can only possess a sport, non-combat weapon, which pretty much renders it useless for self-defence. This is worse than in Canada!
If you are a police or in some other government para-military or securtity force, you can get a gun.

If you live in Yesha, you can still get a gun provided you have a crime-free past.  I am not sure whether you need to wait 3 years then.
Shalom,
Manch

2: When you go to Israel, Can you buy a firearm there? You havent been convicted of a crime in Israel.

Thanks Chaim great as always,

Avigdor/Cosmo
Hayot Araviot Masrihot