Author Topic: IP addresses  (Read 5584 times)

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
IP addresses
« on: May 15, 2007, 05:59:11 PM »
Jimmy and others,

I asked Yacov to post the IPs of those two users--it was not his idea. Sorry about this. I will not ask this again. Chaimfan

Offline Dissenter

• Full JTFer
Re: IP addresses
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 07:14:28 PM »
I asked Yacov to post the IPs of those two users--it was not his idea.

It was not his idea, but he went along with it. And he's the one with the keys to the kingdom.

I'm sorry, but King Yacov screwed up - royally.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 07:24:08 PM »
I understand that it was a mistake, for both of us, but why are you offended personally? It wasn't YOUR IP, and at least one (and possibly both) of the "outed" users is an anti-JTF troll.

Offline Dissenter

• Full JTFer
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 07:33:33 PM »
I understand that it was a mistake, for both of us, but why are you offended personally?

I'm not offended personally - apart from the worry that my IP might be next - and certainly the suspicion about the two users was a mitigating factor.

But we simply can't afford to play fast and loose with the confidences of our people.

Suppose that you were a newcomer to JTF who was thinking about donating money. Would you send a check or a credit card donation if you were worried that one day your personal information would be irresponsibly posted?

By definition, professionalism - which is what we aspire to - and discretion go hand in hand.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 07:41:29 PM »
I don't think, with all due respect, that an IP address is the same thing as a Social Security number or credit card. Any forum you voluntarily join sees your IP. It's the currency of the internet. Hidden Author is a blatant troll who attacks Chaim and Tonycali is a suspicious character.

Anyway, it's over. This won't happen again.

Offline Dissenter

• Full JTFer
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 08:14:36 PM »
I don't think, with all due respect, that an IP address is the same thing as a Social Security number or credit card. Any forum you voluntarily join sees your IP. It's the currency of the internet.

Agreed, but other people on the forum don't see your IP. Only the administrators do. And it sets a bad precedent for them to divulge anything of a confidential nature.

Newcomers don't make the fine distinction which you've just made. They only see the slippery slope.

As a final note, I don't think that what happened was malicious. But it was irresponsible on the part of the responsible one - who, by the way, wasn't you.

Offline jsullivan

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 11:47:38 PM »
Revealing ANY personal information about posters without their consent is something that JTF never does.

The ONLY time we would reveal personal information is if a poster tried to hack the forum or do something else to temporarily disrupt the forum. Then we would act in self-defense.

However, if a poster insults or annoys Chaim or other JTF members, that will NOT cause us to reveal personal information. Even if a poster blatantly breaks the rules as FOTL did by saying that he wanted to murder all white women, we delete his objectionable posts and we ban him. But we do NOT reveal his personal information.

JTF is an honorable and moral organization that does not betray posters' trust.

Hidden Author makes unfair attacks on Chaim and JTF. But on this forum, that is NOT a violation of the rules. As long as Hidden Author does not personally insult other posters, he is allowed to attack Chaim and JTF.

There is a double standard that Chaim has established here. You are allowed to attack Chaim because Chaim is a public figure. However, if you make the same types of unfair attacks on ordinary JTF posters, who are not public figures, then you might get banned. In other words, you can get away with criticizing Chaim very harshly, but you cannot do that against ordinary posters who are not used to those types of attacks. If we allowed ordinary posters to be brutally attacked, people would not want to post here.

Tonicali does ask strange and repetitive questions. So what? He is not violating any rules. Chaim can choose not to answer if he wishes.

There is no excuse for revealing personal information about these posters. True, their IPs are not like Social Security numbers. But this is a matter of principle. An honorable organization does not behave like that.

Chaim intends to take action to ensure that this does not happen again.

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 11:58:19 PM »
Yacov, I like you, but this is going to be the 2nd or 3rd straight week Chaim is going to have issues with your professionalism.

1st, you didn't control the questions on ASK JTF when he asked. The show had been over 3 hours long and Chaim specifically asked that the next week had 1 question.
2nd was the Fruit issue
3rd is the IP.

You made this forum such a great place but for your own sake, please consult with other Jimmy or the other mods before you take action.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 12:00:10 AM by Trumpeldor »

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 11:59:04 PM »

There is a double standard that Chaim has established here. You are allowed to attack Chaim because Chaim is a public figure. However, if you make the same types of unfair attacks on ordinary JTF posters, who are not public figures, then you might get banned.

Reminds me of Times v. Sullivan...it's a constitutionally sound double standard. ;D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 12:01:53 AM by lubab »
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 12:01:24 AM »
I wrote to Chaim on the Hebrew forum. I let him know that I am sorry for posting it and I won't do so again.

I think you owed that to the forum, not just to Chaim. If you did, I didn't see it.

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 12:02:31 AM »

There is a double standard that Chaim has established here. You are allowed to attack Chaim because Chaim is a public figure. However, if you make the same types of unfair attacks on ordinary JTF posters, who are not public figures, then you might get banned.

Reminds me of Times v. Sullivan...it's a constitutionally sound double standard. ;D

Absolutely. Posters can disagree without all hell breaking loose.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 01:05:25 AM »
Guys, I take responsibility for asking for this. Yacov had no plans to volunteer the info on his own. Chaim should be at least as upset with me as Yacov.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 12:51:12 PM »
How about Gal Amir, the man who Chaim exposed. He gave his full address out to the public.

Offline Dissenter

• Full JTFer
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
How about Gal Amir, the man who Chaim exposed. He gave his full address out to the public.

Gal Amir wasn't simply a poster who played by the rules. He is one of those obsessive haters of JTF who will stop at nothing to misrepresent us.

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 01:08:55 PM »
He was the guy from Wikipedia wasn't he?

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 01:45:28 PM »
Wikipedia logs all posters' ideas in public unless you register.

What does Wikipedia have to do with posting on this forum?