Author Topic: An Orthodox Jew is also a Candidate for Illinois Congressman  (Read 625 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom

http://israelmatzav.blogspot.com/2010/06/orthodox-jew-and-tea-party-candidate.html

An Orthodox Jew and a tea party candidate

Joel Pollak is a recent Harvard Law School graduate and an Orthodox Jew. He is also the Republican candidate for Congress in Illinois' 9th district and is backed by the tea party movement.

His opponent, Rep. Jan Schakowsky, is a beneficiary of the fund-raising acumen of the now-disgraced Helen Thomas.

Pollak discusses his candidacy in an article in the Wall Street Journal (full article here for those without Journal access).

The article is solely about domestic issues (mostly the deficit and spending), but for those who are interested, you can find a post I did about Pollak's views on Israel here.

If I had the chance, I would vote for him.

I wonder if I am related to him... I have Pollack on my mothers side of the family..

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: An Orthodox Jew is also a Candidate for Illinois Congressman
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 06:38:01 PM »
You know what Chaim says about this kind of thing outside of Israel.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 06:40:33 PM »
You know what Chaim says about this kind of thing outside of Israel.

Yes, of course... But this is good news because it shows how weak the liberal left is.. And what is wrong with a strong Conservative Jew to counter all the liberal left Jews in politics? I know that anything which goes wrong will be blamed on the entire Jewish people, and the antisemites will believe that Jews have 'too much' power in politics, etc...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 06:46:53 PM »
I know that anything which goes wrong will be blamed on the entire Jewish people, and the antisemites will believe that Jews have 'too much' power in politics, etc...

That's part of the problem. Anti-Semites will blame any mistakes this guy makes on Jewish people as a whole rather than just himself. As a human being he's bound to make at least some mistakes.

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 09:31:49 PM »
Quote from: Rubystars
Anti-Semites will blame any mistakes this guy makes on Jewish people as a whole rather than just himself.

Just as they do with Bernie Madoff and now Ken Starr.  Anti-Semites can't wait to reinforce their evil stereotypes on us.

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 12:05:41 AM »
How orthodox is he if he wants to change America instead of Israel?

Ps I HATE that label its something the reform labeled me as tongue in cheek and in passive aggressive manner ...talk bout intolerance.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 12:09:30 AM »
How orthodox is he if he wants to change America instead of Israel?

Ps I HATE that label its something the reform labeled me as tongue in cheek and in passive aggressive manner ...talk bout intolerance.

Who cares what reform think of you. I have a progressive shul I attend from time to time... I am sorry your reform friends use the term in an insulting way. I am proud to associate with Orthodox Jews and especially when we talk about Torah and mitzvot. I called an old buddy from my minyan a few years ago, he has moved away and I haven't talked to him. He moved to a very vibrant Orthodox community, something we don't have where I live...

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 12:49:38 AM »
Idk, because, Im not ..Im simply a Torah Jew .. my family was quite surprised when we were labeled as some kind of ultra type of Jewish denomination, simply because they kept Torah

But Im proud to be a Torah Jew.. Im glad you are as well; even if you call it something that's a new label ...in the end we are all in the same boat ,to bad the reform don't see it that way, well Im sure some do ..