Author Topic: Christian Bible modified version for marketing to Indians  (Read 10021 times)

Offline ✡ Hindu Zionist ॐ

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • India- Most pro-Israel country of the world!
Christian Bible modified version for marketing to Indians
« on: June 15, 2010, 08:25:20 AM »
June 13: Enter, a Bible “by Indians for Indians”, replete with quotes from the Gita to Gitanjali.

The Indian Church is bringing out an “Indianised” Bible next month that will show Mother Mary wearing a sari and even a bindi on her forehead, and her husband Joseph in a loincloth and a turban.

The illustrated Bible will also be annotated with the commentary that runs side by side with the original biblical text making references to Mother Teresa and Mahatma Gandhi and quoting from Hindu texts and Rabindranath Tagore.

“This is a Bible made in India, by Indians and for Indians,’’ said Fr George Chathanattil of the Society of St Paul which is in charge of publishing the Bible written in English.

The commentary repeatedly refers to Hindu concepts to convey biblical teachings.

For instance, the Vedic interpretation of light is used to explain the Christian concept of Genesis. Similarly, Jesus’s words about storing “treasures in heaven’’ in the Gospel of Matthew is compared to the Bhagvadgita’s teaching that “work alone is your proper business, never the fruits it may produce”.

The Bible has verses from the Ramayan and the Mahabharat aplenty. It draws comparisons between the biblical Ten Commandments and 10 basic precepts of ancient Indian scriptures, which include ahimsa (non-violence), satya (truth) and brahmacharya (celibacy).

Church sources said such “localised” versions of the Bible now existed only in Africa, and that Indian Christians so far mainly read the King James version of the Bible. The new Indian version is an attempt on the Church’s part to “bring Indians and the Church closer’’.

“Our attempt is to make people feel at home with the Bible. When one hears one’s own cultural expressions, it is easier for the Indian Christian community to understand the Bible,’’ Fr George said.

The new Bible will have 27 themed pictures that are quintessentially Indian, such as a family living in a slum in the shadow of a skyscraper, with a portrait of Mother Teresa in the background. Sources said many of the figures in the pictures have a slightly darker shade of skin than is usual in western biblical images.

Fr George said the commentary in the annotated Indian Bible was the product of 15 years of research by a set of 30 Indian biblical scholars. Each of the major divisions of both the Old and New Testaments opens with a brief but comprehensive introduction.

The Society of St Paul had done a test launch last year with a rough, early version of the new Bible.

“The response we got to the trial launch was amazing. People from all walks of life have responded positively to the new Bible and we are happy that the national edition is ready,’’ Fr George said.

To start with, the Society plans to print 50,000 copies, to be distributed among all the states.

http://www.telegraphindia.com//1100614/jsp/nation/story_12563103.jsp

Rich Corporate Churches will do everything to sell their copies and evangelize. Next what, Oriental Mongol Mary and Jesus to sell in China/japan?:::D

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Christian Bible modified version for marketing to Indians
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 09:46:02 AM »
Most Christians believe you're not supposed to add to or take away from canon Scripture. I find this very disturbing.

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 10:11:09 AM »
Since the West is rumored to be running under depression and disbelief, so these are the new marketing techniques to make money from the eastern markets. Something like the erstwhile East India Co.

Anyhow they made gross errors by not including the characters like Tom & Jerry, Laurel & Hardy and Charlie Chaplin. Consequently their products rotting in the warehouses will be ultimately eaten by the Micky mouse.
 ;D
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 10:29:20 AM »
BTW, every culture does this.

Look at Buhda.

He was a skinny Indian, but look how the chinese view him:

Look at how Europe viewed Jesus.  I doubt that Jesus looked like this:

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 10:51:24 AM »
The part about the imagery I don't find particularly disturbing. It's if they they modify the text itself that it bothers me.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 11:02:14 AM »
The part about the imagery I don't find particularly disturbing. It's if they they modify the text itself that it bothers me.

Yes, I agree.

I understand different cultulrs have different ideals of how prophets should look and how they should dress, and thats understandable. 

But when people start re-writing history, thats just plain wrong; almost evil.

Reminds me of Black liberation theology or Naziism, when they refuse to identify Jesus as being born jewish. 

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 11:30:37 AM »

Look at Buhda.

The second picture is NOT Budha, I think it is a chinese deity of good fortune.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 11:34:44 AM »

Look at Buhda.

http://www.ambedkartimes.com/Image/buddha.gif

http://web.singnet.com.sg/~alankhoo/Maitreya2.jpg

http://jesuschristsavior.net/Jesus.jpeg
The second picture is NOT Budha, I think it is a chinese deity of good fortune.
yes, its Budai.. the spiritual Zen Monk

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 11:36:04 AM »
Well, if its Budai, I know ethnic chinese Buddhist consider Budai a Buddha.  I dont know the specifics.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
I keep doing image searches for Chinese Buddhism/Budha and I keep getting the same images of Budha, the fat mongloid looking one.  I know quite a few chinese budhists, and they all have say the fat guy is Buddha.  I think we need a Chinese here to clear this up.  Chinese Kahanist!!!!  We need your help!!

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 11:52:12 AM »
well the problem is that the missionary organisations are alloted millions of dollars of money in every country. Then there are Church clergy in every state who are forced to use this money in a way that is going to bring people to them. At the end of every year they have to report to the head of these Evagelical organisations, about how many people have got church membership. A very corporate style of functioning. And the results are this. Then you have people like Rev Pat Robertson. Who calls Hinduism "Demonic" along with "Satanic Islam". He will try to act as Anti-Islam, Anti-Palestine and Anti-Obama, yet he is no friend of Israel. I am glad several of his projects are banned in Israel. Plus the CBN which is funded by his institution is very well known to spew venom at Ultra-Orthodox Jews. But when there is a Kahanist government in Israel, men like these are going to run for cover. Robertson taken pride in promoting Christianity in Non-Christian countries, but what the hell is he offering the Europe, which is getting rapidly islamic. Even though Islamic overbreeding and immigration are to be blamed, yet the fact remains that White and Black Christians in Europe have stopped going to Churches, for reasons best known to them.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 11:53:29 AM »
I keep doing image searches for Chinese Buddhism/Budha and I keep getting the same images of Budha, the fat mongloid looking one.  I know quite a few chinese budhists, and they all have say the fat guy is Buddha.  I think we need a Chinese here to clear this up.  Chinese Kahanist!!!!  We need your help!!

:::D think he is called Laughing Buddha or Fat Buddha, got it from wiki : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budai

btw link also mentions "Amongst Westerners new to Buddhism, Budai is often confused with the historical Buddha, Siddhartha Gautama"

so now i know for sure, you are a westerner :P

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 12:07:32 PM »
I don't always agree with everything Pat Robertson says but he has always been pro-Israel as far as I know.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 12:13:09 PM »
I don't always agree with everything Pat Robertson says but he has always been pro-Israel as far as I know.
Pat Robertson Accuses The Jews

As worldwide Jewry is still reeling from Mel Gibson's stinging blockbuster film of graphic violence and gratuitous bloodshed, which portrays the Jews as conspiring, blood-thirsty Christ-killers, Rev. Pat Robertson's Christian Broadcast Network (CBN.com) has launched a stunning assault on the Jewish faith.

"It is hard to believe that anyone would be using a vast media empire to attack Judaism at a time when Jewish communities are feeling intensely vulnerable. But that's precisely what Robertson's organization is doing," says Rabbi Tovia Singer, the New York-based radio show host of Israel National Radio, who was formally thrown off New York's WMCA for being "too Jewish." Singer is also the founder of Outreach Judaism, a counter-missionary organization that fights against Christian missionaries.

A misleading article prominent on Robertson's CBN.com makes the stunning claim that the Jews manipulate their Sabbath services so that synagogue worshipers reject Jesus. The article, "The Passion According to Isaiah", claims that the weekly recitation of verses from the Prophets (haftara) in synagogues worldwide were specifically designed to avoid a passage in Isaiah that Christians interpret as a reference to Jesus.

"This is a serious charge against Judaism for which there is not a single shred of evidence…. The absurdity of this claim lies in the fact that the selections for the weekly reading of verses from the Prophets, including those from Isaiah, predate Christianity by two centuries. What motive did Jews have for preventing worshipers from converting to Christianity, when at the time the custom to read from the Prophets was created, Christianity and Jesus didn't even exist?" asks Singer.

The CBN website asserts that a portion of Isaiah, used as a front piece to Mel Gibson's The Passion, was withheld from the ears of Jewish congregants because of what "Jews might think" of the passage. In essence, the Jews are charged by the 700 Club's founder with conspiring to manipulate the synagogue service in order to prevent uneducated Jews from believing in Jesus. "In fact," states Singer, "only a very tiny portion of the Book of Prophets is even read in the synagogue."

"This preposterous claim not only slanders the Jewish faith, but is an affront to any Jewish organization that has presented Robertson any recognition," states Singer. "Most Jews do not realize that the ultimate goal of fundamentalists like Pat Robertson is a 100 percent Christian America, which is why he supports predatory cults that seek to destroy the Jewish faith. Doesn't he understand that militant Islam is a far greater danger to America than Judaism?"

"This unwelcome development is particularly shocking given that people like Robertson are zealously defending Mel Gibson's film against the charge of promoting anti-Semitism. Robinson's CBN.com is collaborating with some of the most offensive organizations dedicated to attacking the Jewish faith, while deceptively targeting vulnerable Jews for conversion to Christianity," says Rabbi Singer.

Singer is more concerned with the danger misleading and slanderous propaganda poses to the Jewish people. "If either Pat Robertson or Mel Gibson ever wish to be regarded as a friend of the Jews," declares Singer, "they must abandon their obsession with converting them."
 (IsraelNationalNews.com)
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/60257

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 12:18:32 PM »
Of course he is pro-Israel, but that is only for his agenda. Evangelicals face threats from Arabs. And if he wants to get his projects sanctioned in Israel, he has to act Pro-Israel. It is simple business mentality. If i want a overseas deal to be done, i need to first counter the local mafia or companies, who could be potential threat to my market.

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 12:42:45 PM »

Indeed as far as I know Buddhists name several different people as Buddha, the original one Siddhattha Gotama is the founder of Buddhism. I think Siddhattha Gotama was actually born in what is today  Nepal, so perhaps he actually did have the Asian look.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 12:52:57 PM »

Indeed as far as I know Buddhists name several different people as Buddha, the original one Siddhattha Gotama is the founder of Buddhism. I think Siddhattha Gotama was actually born in what is today  Nepal, so perhaps he actually did have the Asian look.
the word "Buddha" means "An Enlightened one", anyone can be named Buddha when they reach that state. Hence the monks who reached that nirvana state.. began to be called Buddha (also reason brainn finds those pics when searching for buddha ;D) You are right, Buddha's actual name was Siddhartha Gautam.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 01:16:50 PM »
I think he has a right to say that Hinduism is a demonic religion. That's his belief system.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 01:19:13 PM »

:laugh: :::D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 01:37:30 PM »
I think he has a right to say that Hinduism is a demonic religion. That's his belief system.
Hinduism is very tolerant and respectful to other faiths. To say that it is demonic implies that it is predatory and hostile which is factually incorrect.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 01:38:43 PM »
He also believes Jews are Christ killers and support anti-semitic ideas. Wonder how you dont blame this on his belief system.
Hinduism is very tolerant and respectful to other faiths. To say that it is demonic implies that it is predatory and hostile which is factually incorrect.
thank you. Also i want to make a note that. It was this demonic(Hindu) religion which provided shelter to lost jews, while people of Pat Robertsons clan were busy persecuting Jews in Israel.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 01:41:13 PM »
He also believes Jews are Christ killers and support anti-semitic ideas. Wonder how you dont blame this on his belief system.

When did he actually say that? Was that in the article you posted?

• Master JTFer
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 01:45:37 PM »

When did he actually say that? Was that in the article you posted?
yes if Rabbi Tovia Singer is to be believed. And the Arutz Sheva reporting.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 01:47:36 PM »
I don't really believe that he's anti-Jewish because all the times I used to see him on tv he always spoke in good terms of Jews and Israel. Maybe they just got upset because he liked Gibson's movie.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 01:50:15 PM »

Is that why some Hindus made human sacrifices to Kali?