Author Topic: Examples of Jewish cooking  (Read 4257 times)

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
Examples of Jewish cooking
« on: June 24, 2010, 08:13:20 AM »
What's an example of Jewish cooking or Jewish food?
What would be for commoners and what would be gourmet?
I know about the Jewish gefilte fish, pickles, matza and Chinese food.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 09:08:06 AM by angryChineseKahanist »
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Online Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Examples of Jewish cooking
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 08:19:54 AM »
Tshulnt / Chamin is the outstanding example IMO because it has both Ashkenazi and Mizrachi versions, and it is especially suitable for Shabat.
http://www.matkonim.sane-way.com/site/detail/detail/detailDetail.asp?detail_id=122142&depart_id=3139

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 08:21:18 AM »
Kasha Varnishgas sp? Stuffed Cabbage, Knishes, Pepto Bismol..... :::D

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 08:41:35 AM »

Is the bagel a Jewish creation or a Jewish stereo type?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline arksis

• Master JTFer
  • Dawn
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 08:58:38 AM »
Kasha Varnishgas sp? Stuffed Cabbage, Knishes, Pepto Bismol..... :::D

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm stuffed cabbage! We always called it Golabki (pronounced goo wump kee) My grandmother made the best!
---Never, ever deal with terrorists. Hunt them down and, more important, mercilessly punish those states and groups that fund, arm, support, or simply allow their territories to be used by the terrorists with impunity.
Meir Kahane

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 01:20:08 PM »
chinese food?

Offline TheCoon

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 03:01:17 PM »
I prefer Middle-Estern and North African cooking. Eastern European cooking = /puke.
The city isn't what it used to be. It all happened so fast. Everything went to crap. It's like... everyone's sense of morals just disappeared. Bad economy made things worse. Jobs started drying up, then the stores had to shut down. Then a black man was elected president. He was supposed to change things. He didn't. More and more people turned to crime and violence... The town becomes gripped with fear. Dark times, dark times... I am the hero this town needs. I am... The Coon!!!

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 03:08:09 PM »

I don't know if it's a Jewish creation but it is a rather popular outdoor food in Israel.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 03:16:14 PM »

I don't know if it's a Jewish creation but it is a rather popular outdoor food in Israel.

Wikipedia provides the following history of the Bagel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagel#History

Contrary to common legend, the bagel was not created in the shape of a stirrup to commemorate the victory of Poland’s King Jan Sobieski over the Ottoman Turks in 1683. It was actually invented much earlier in Kraków, Poland, as a competitor to the bublik, a lean bread of wheat flour designed for Lent. In the 16th and first half of the 17th centuries, the bajgiel became a staple of the Polish national diet.[5]

There was a tradition among many observant Jewish families to make bagels on Saturday evenings at the conclusion of the Sabbath. Due to Jewish Sabbath restrictions, they were not permitted to cook during the period of the Sabbath and, compared with other types of bread, bagels could be baked very quickly as soon as it ended.

That the name originated from beugal (old spelling of Bügel, meaning bail/bow or bale) is considered plausible by many, both from the similarities of the word and because traditional handmade bagels are not perfectly circular but rather slightly stirrup-shaped. (This, however, may be due to the way the boiled bagels are pressed together on the baking sheet before baking.) Also, variants of the word beugal are used in Yiddish and Austrian German to refer to a round loaf of bread (see Gugelhupf for an Austrian cake with a similar ring shape), or in southern German dialects (where beuge refers to a pile, e.g.: holzbeuge, or woodpile). According to the Merriam-Webster's dictionary, 'bagel' derives from the transliteration of the Yiddish 'beygl', which came from the Middle High German 'böugel' or ring, which itself came from 'bouc' (ring) in Old High German, similar to the Old English 'bēag' '(ring), and 'būgan' (to bend or bow).[6] Similarly another etymology in the Webster's New World College Dictionary says that the Middle High German form was derived from the Austrian German 'beugel', a kind of croissant, and was similar to the German 'bügel', a stirrup or ring.[7]

In the Brick Lane district and surrounding area of London, England, bagels, or as locally spelled "beigels" have been sold since the middle of the 19th century. They were often displayed in the windows of bakeries on vertical wooden dowels, up to a metre in length, on racks.

Bagels were brought to the United States by immigrant Jews, with a thriving business developing in New York City that was controlled for decades by Bagel Bakers Local 338, which had contracts with nearly all bagel bakeries in and around the city for its workers, who prepared all the bagels by hand. The bagel came into more general use throughout North America in the last quarter of the 20th century, at least partly due to the efforts of bagel baker Harry Lender and Florence Sender, who pioneered automated production and distribution of frozen bagels in the 1960s.[8]

In modern times Canadian-born astronaut Gregory Chamitoff is the first person known to have taken a batch of bagels into space on his 2008 Space Shuttle mission to the International Space Station.[9] His shipment consisted of 18 sesame seed bagels.[10][11]
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 03:17:39 PM »
What's an example of Jewish cooking or Jewish food?
What would be for commoners and what would be gourmet?
I know about the Jewish gefilte fish, pickles, matza and Chinese food.

Try Cholent... We eat this on Shabbat..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholent

Cholent (Yiddish: טשאָלנט, tsholnt or tshoolnt) or hamin (Hebrew: חמין‎) is a traditional Jewish stew simmered overnight, for 12 hours or more, and eaten for lunch on Shabbat (the Sabbath.) Cholent was developed over the centuries to conform with Jewish religious laws that prohibit cooking on the Sabbath. The pot is brought to boil on Friday before the Sabbath begins, and kept on a blech or hotplate, or placed in a slow oven or electric slow cooker until the following day.

There are many variations of the dish, which is standard in both the Ashkenazi and Sephardi kitchens.[1] The basic ingredients of cholent are meat, potatoes, beans and barley. Sephardi-style hamin uses rice instead of beans and barley, and chicken instead of beef. A traditional Sephardi addition is whole eggs in the shell (haminados), which turn brown overnight. Ashkenazi cholent often contains kishke or helzel – a sausage casing or a chicken neck skin stuffed with a flour-based mixture. Slow overnight cooking allows the flavors of the various ingredients to permeate and produces the characteristic taste of cholent.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 03:32:52 PM »
chicken soup is a Jewish cuisine.

And have you heard of galla http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%27tcha ?

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 03:33:32 PM »
Everyone and his brother makes chulent but to be honest I've only had one or two that were very good.  Usually I don't like the chulent unless it's an excellent recipe, and it needs to be spicy.

I had one last week with a "secret ingredient" (it was garlic) and it was actually one of the best tasting chulents I've had.

My favorite food on Shabbat is the potato kugel, a classic Ashkenazi dish.
That said, I've had "kubeh" made in several varieties by women of Kordi and other Sephardic background, and I must say that is also excellent - the red soup it's in is great.   Teymani Marak (Yemenite soup) is also fantastic.   These three dishes are definitely the best.   Chulent is just not my style.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 03:42:11 PM »
Orthodox Union has some good Cholent Recipes:

http://www.ou.org/shabbat/recipes/5763/bereshit63.htm

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 03:50:50 PM »

originates from Poland.

Here is a example of Jewish cuisine and Israeli cuisine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_cusine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_cuisine

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 09:07:25 PM »
chinese food?

I hear ya, it's not, though IT SHOULD BE!!!!!!!! :)

Blintzes and potato latkes

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 09:53:24 PM »

Jachnoon from Yemen.  Its a breakfast thing, sort of like a really oily pastry.  It looks like it is served with something resembling pico de gallo in this picture, when I have it I make it with grated tomato and a bit of schug [hot peppers seasoned with coriander, garlic  and various spices.].  I've made this for Shabbat morning before, but I get the dough already prepared.  It takes 10 hours to bake.  I have found that cooking it at a lower temperature than the box states makes for a much better outcome, other times it has been baked as hard as a rock and will nearly dislocate your jaw if you try and eat the harder parts of it!

Shakshuka.  Breakfast, mmmm.  This is easy to make

Shawarma!  Really good seasoned meat!  I get this at one of the Kosher grocery stores I buy my grocs at.  I think I would like to learn how to make it, but I don't really feel like buying whatever type of spindle this meat rotates on.  I might buy the seasoning and just make kabobs.
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 02:49:24 AM »

Jachnoon from Yemen.  Its a breakfast thing, sort of like a really oily pastry.  It looks like it is served with something resembling pico de gallo in this picture, when I have it I make it with grated tomato and a bit of schug [hot peppers seasoned with coriander, garlic  and various spices.].  I've made this for Shabbat morning before, but I get the dough already prepared.  It takes 10 hours to bake.  I have found that cooking it at a lower temperature than the box states makes for a much better outcome, other times it has been baked as hard as a rock and will nearly dislocate your jaw if you try and eat the harder parts of it!

Shawarma!  Really good seasoned meat!  I get this at one of the Kosher grocery stores I buy my grocs at.  I think I would like to learn how to make it, but I don't really feel like buying whatever type of spindle this meat rotates on.  I might buy the seasoning and just make kabobs.

damn your making me hungry now!

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 07:03:46 AM »
Jakhnun is also great.  It's great to have Yemenite Jewish friends!

Goes great with tomato puree
and of course Teynani skhug as pictured here (the green stuff) goes great with just about anything and is the best type of schug I've had.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 07:08:58 AM by Kahane-Was-Right BT »

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 07:14:06 AM »
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Food/YemeniteSoup.html

Yemenite Soup
(Chicken Soup with Lachuh)

Chicken legs

Potatoes cut into quarters

Hawayij: spice for soup

chicken bullion cubes

3 tablespoons oil

Coriander leaves

1 whole onion

Water

For each person: one leg of a chicken

1 potato

1 cup of water

Hawayij: a cury-like, yemenite spice mixture:

2 tablespoons black peppercorns

1 tablespoon cumin seeds

1 teaspoon cardamom seeds

1 teaspoon saffron

2 teaspoons turmeric

Put the chicken legs into a pot and boil. Take the white foam out. Lower the fire and add the rest of the ingredients. Cook for 3/4 of an hour until the chicken is ready. Add Chilbah.

Grind the spices together thoroughly, and store them in an airtight jar.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 09:29:03 AM »

Jewish food? Couscous, pastels, roasted red pepper salad, Moroccan doughnuts and tea. Of course, doesn't everybody know this?  ;D
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2010, 02:14:34 PM »

Borekas!  Turkish Jew food.

Falafel!

It's what I have had in the past 24 hours for food. :dance:
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2010, 02:26:12 PM »

{snip}

It's what I have had in the past 24 hours for food. :dance:

Oh, I thought it is what you had in the last 24 hours for table decorations...

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2010, 06:18:04 PM »
I take it you're joking about Varnishgas?
Google shows me some unpleasant results.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2010, 06:21:58 PM »

Tofu...
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2010, 08:16:24 PM »
The only kind of tofu I like is the Mori Nu kind, that's extra firm. I like to marinate it in soy and teriyaki sauce then cook it with peppers and onions and wrap it up in tortillas.