Author Topic: I thought today was Friday, I thought tonight was Shabbat! DOH!!  (Read 425 times)

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
I don't know why I thought today was Friday, but I did.  I got all my Shabbat things ready, my meal, candles, grape juice, etc...  I hustled to get my dishes done earlier today, and to get to the grocery store during the day, water my herb garden, and then I texted my family "Shabbat Shalom" during the afternoon...  my brother was the first to let me know its actually only Thursday.  Haha on me.  Tomorrow should be pretty easy and smooth to get ready for Shabbat though.  I've been laughing at myself for a few hours.  :laugh:
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: I thought today was Friday, I thought tonight was Shabbat! DOH!!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 02:13:23 AM »
Shame on you my friend, you should count the days to Shabbat...

Here it is from OU website:

http://www.ou.org/chagim/shabbat/remember.htm
Centrality of Shabbat

"Throughout the thousands of years of its history, Shabbat has always been a day of song and gladness in the Jewish home. Its coming is an eagerly awaited event for which the family begins preparing days in advance. In fact, the Shabbat casts its radiant glow over then whole week. The days themselves are named in Hebrew in relation to the Shabbat: 'the first day to Shabbat,' 'the second day to Shabbat,' etc."

"Everything looks forward to Shabbat. Business and social arrangements are made in such a way that they will not interfere with the Shabbat. Little luxuries bought during the week are stored up for the Shabbat. When Friday comes, the tempo increases. Every member of the household plays his or her part in the preparations."

More @ http://www.torah.org/features/spirfocus/shabboscandles.html

Shabbat is the goal of the week, not merely a rest stop to prepare for the coming week. In truth, we work all week long for this day of pleasure. There is even a tradition to count the days in anticipation of Shabbat. "We're getting there... We're almost there... We're here!" It's like a bride counting the days to her wedding -- not because the wedding will mark the end of her preparations, but because it is the goal.

Read my Torah Parasha discussion in the Torah Forum and think about what you learn from Balak...

Shabbat Shalom!
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14