Author Topic: 20 States planning to copy Arizona immigration law  (Read 1476 times)

Offline Christian Zionist

• Master JTFer
  • homosexuality is an abomination to God-Lev.18:22
20 States planning to copy Arizona immigration law
« on: June 27, 2010, 11:19:53 PM »

http://www.thonline.com/article.cfm?id=287398

States planning to copy Arizona immigration law
Lawmakers say illegal immigrants drain resources, and if the federal government won't act, they will.
BY JOHN MILLER THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

BOISE, Idaho -- Arizona's sweeping new immigration law doesn't even take effect until next month, but lawmakers in nearly 20 other states are already clamoring to follow in its footsteps.

Gubernatorial candidates in Florida and Minnesota are singing the law's praises, as are some lawmakers in other states far from the Mexico border such as Idaho and Nebraska. But states also are watching legal challenges to the new law, and whether boycotts over it will harm Arizona's economy.

The law, set to take effect July 29, requires police to check the immigration status of anyone they think is in the country illegally. Violators face up to six months in jail and $2,500 in fines, in addition to federal deportation.

Lawmakers or candidates in as many as 18 states say they want to push similar measures when their legislative sessions start up again in 2011. Arizona-style legislation may have the best chance of passing in Oklahoma, which in 2007 gave police more power to check the immigration status of people they arrest.

Bills similar to the law Arizona's Legislature approved in April have already been introduced in Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Minnesota, South Carolina and Michigan, but none will advance this year.

Business, agriculture and civil rights groups oppose such legislation, saying legal residents who are Hispanic would be unjustly harassed and that immigration is a federal responsibility. Supporters say police will not stop people solely on the basis of skin color and argue that illegal immigrants are draining state coffers by taking jobs, using public services, fueling gang violence and filling prisons.

"If the feds won't do it, states are saying, 'We're going to have to do it,'" said Idaho state Sen. Monty Pearce. Pearce's second cousin is the author of the Arizona law, Arizona state Sen. Russell Pearce, who, like Monty Pearce, is a Republican.

The debate is putting pressure on Congress and the Obama administration to act. In 2007, when states like Idaho and Kansas were making English their official languages as part of an immigration-related push, then-President George W. Bush failed to persuade even many Republican allies to agree to combine increased border enforcement with a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants.

Obama has called Arizona's law irresponsible, but Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer says it helped prompt him to send 1,200 National Guard members to the U.S.-Mexican border, mostly to her state. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., says it's not enough.

Isaiah 62:1 -  For Zion's sake I am not silent, And for Jerusalem's sake I do not rest, Till her righteousness go out as brightness, And her salvation, as a torch that burns.

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
Re: 20 States planning to copy Arizona immigration law
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 11:32:23 PM »
 :dance: :dance: :dance: Baruch HaShem!! :dance: :dance: :dance:
Business, agriculture and civil rights groups oppose such legislation, saying legal residents who are Hispanic would be unjustly harassed and that immigration is a federal responsibility

:::D :::D :::D Because only Federal agents are capable of not harassing legal citizens.  :::D :::D :::D
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 11:36:53 PM »

I will second that!

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: Baruch HaShem!!  :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 12:01:27 AM »
I wish it would list the states so I know if TX is one of them.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 03:35:26 AM »
THIS IS INCREDIBLY GOOD NEWS!!!  There are a FEW decent politicians who will stand up against P.C. elitism and who understand that Americans are sick of rewarding those who break the law.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Offline TruthSpreader

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 05:38:38 AM »

Me, too.
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline arksis

• Master JTFer
  • Dawn
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 07:29:15 AM »

Texas IS on the list!
http://www.againstamnesty.com/latest_news.html

The current list of states following Arizona's lead on immigration enforcement include ARKANSAS, IDAHO, INDIANA, MARYLAND, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEBRASKA, NEVADA, NEW JERSEY, NORTH CAROLINA, OHIO, OKLAHOMA, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, SOUTH CAROLINA, TEXAS, UTAH.

UPDATED LIST OF STATES WITH DETAILS FOR EACH AT...
http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-196989.html
---Never, ever deal with terrorists. Hunt them down and, more important, mercilessly punish those states and groups that fund, arm, support, or simply allow their territories to be used by the terrorists with impunity.
Meir Kahane

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 09:05:22 AM »
I hope it actually goes through. Real Texans are a minority now.

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 09:43:42 AM »
HaShem save us!  California is not on the list!  Every illegal in the country will soon flood our state!!  We will drown in an ocean of sombreros!!  Aztlan begins now!!
 :::D :::D :::D :::D

I imagine many Conservatives will be moving from California in the next 5 years.  I already have plans to leave in less than a year myself.
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 12:12:33 PM »
HaShem save us!  California is not on the list!  Every illegal in the country will soon flood our state!!  We will drown in an ocean of sombreros!!  Aztlan begins now!!
 :::D :::D :::D :::D

I imagine many Conservatives will be moving from California in the next 5 years.  I already have plans to leave in less than a year myself.

Soon California will be renamed Mexifornia