Author Topic: To Those of You Born 1930 - 1979 (An amazing read, I wish I were alive then)  (Read 1538 times)

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
To Those of You Born
1930 - 1979

At the end of this email is a quote of the month by Jay Leno. If you don't read anything else, please

read what he said.

Very well stated, Mr. Leno.

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE

1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-base paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had baseball caps not helmets on our heads.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes..

Riding in the back of a pick- up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle a nd no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar. And, we weren't overweight. WHY?

Because we were always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And, we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride them down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Play stations, Nintendo's and X-boxes. There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet and no chat rooms.
WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there we re no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever.

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.
If YOU are one of them? CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave and lucky their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it ?

~

The quote of the month is by Jay Leno:

'With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?'

For those that prefer to think that God is not watching over us...go ahead and delete this.
For the rest of us...pass this on.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Ive seen this email {I think my uncle sent it to me}....

Every one of those points is true... I was born in 1965....

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline arksis

• Master JTFer
  • Dawn
Yep, I've seen this before too and they are ALL true! How I miss those good old days, only for the children of today that are missing so much and NOT using their imagination.
---Never, ever deal with terrorists. Hunt them down and, more important, mercilessly punish those states and groups that fund, arm, support, or simply allow their territories to be used by the terrorists with impunity.
Meir Kahane

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
I don't like it that it is basically encouraging pregnant women to drink and smoke as if this will have no consequences. Even one drink can cause fetal alcohol syndrome.

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
More than true...
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline JewishAmericanPatriot

• Pro JTFer
That was good...except that I was born in the 1950s and my mother was a health nut...I grew up on whole wheat bread (rare for that time period), and no sugar. I was underweight though, because I was very active, playing outside! maybe if I'd had some sugar, I would have been "normal" weight! :laugh:
JOIN THE ANTI-OBAMA RESISTANCE!

America's Last Stand: http://americaslaststand.angelfire.com

SAVAGE INGRATITUDE: http://www.savageingratitude.com

Offline arksis

• Master JTFer
  • Dawn
That was good...except that I was born in the 1950s and my mother was a health nut...I grew up on whole wheat bread (rare for that time period), and no sugar. I was underweight though, because I was very active, playing outside! maybe if I'd had some sugar, I would have been "normal" weight! :laugh:

LOL JAP! You were definitely THE exception back then!
---Never, ever deal with terrorists. Hunt them down and, more important, mercilessly punish those states and groups that fund, arm, support, or simply allow their territories to be used by the terrorists with impunity.
Meir Kahane

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
Cars with ""No BRAKES""??
I'm not sure that's a good thing.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom

Well back then we did not have ABS, Anti-Lock Braking Systems like most cars have today... Back then we really had to pump the brake pedal to get some real stopping action... I think ABS became standard in the 80s...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antilock_braking

Modern ABS

Chrysler, together with the Bendix Corporation, introduced a true computerized three-channel, four sensor all-wheel antilock brake system called "Sure Brake" on the 1971 Imperial.[5] It was available for several years thereafter, functioned as intended, and proved reliable. General Motors introduced the "Trackmaster" rear-wheel (only) ABS as an option on their Rear-wheel drive Cadillac models in 1971.[6][7]

In 1975, Robert Bosch took over a European company called Teldix (contraction of Telefunken and Bendix) and all patents registered by this joint-venture and used this acquisition to build the base of the ABS system introduced on the market some years later. The German firms Bosch and Daimler-Benz had been co-developing anti-lock braking technology since the early 1970s, and introduced the first completely electronic 4-wheel multi-channel ABS system in trucks and the Mercedes-Benz S-Class in 1978.[citation needed]

The modern ABS system applies individual brake pressure to all four wheels through a control system of hub mounted sensors and a dedicated micro-controller. ABS is offered, or comes standard, on most road vehicles produced today and is the foundation for ESC systems, which are also rapidly increasing in popularity due to the vast reduction in price of vehicle electronics over the years.[8]
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Secularbeliever

• Master JTFer
There is a sensible middle ground between reasonable safety measures and suffocating safety precautions.  I can guarantee to cut traffic fatalities by 99% with one innovation.  All cars travel no more than 5 miles per hour.  Cars would be useless but traffic fatalities would be extremely rare.  Cars did not have seat belts 50 years ago but thousands of people died who would have lived with seat belts.  So while I agree with the gist of the essay, I would not take it too far.
We all need to pray for Barack Obama, may the Lord provide him a safe move back to Chicago in January 2,013.

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
Ah the good old days.  I was born in 1978 so I caught the tail end.

I miss:

"Stick wars"; beating each other with sharp sticks while in the woods as a game with no rules.  Fun!

Me and my best friend fighting for our lives against his older brother Robert.  Robert was a maniac, one time we had to climb out of the 2nd story of the house to get away from him, we used a garden hose from the storage room tied to their bunk bed to lower ourselves down while we managed to keep Robert barricaded outside of the room with a dresser.  Fighting Robert was the worst because he was a few years older than either of us and much bigger and stronger, and often his friends were only too glad to join in.  My best friend had 3 older brothers so that made us pretty tough, dealing with all of them.  Now that we are all grown up Robert is a great friend of mine.

Skateboarding down steep hills with no helmets.

Driving around town with a 2 man go-cart, no helmets of course.  No concern that go-carts were not street legal [we lived in a small town with little traffic].

Playing full contact street hockey [no helmets].

Skating on ice rinks in our back yards [no helmets].

Shooting each other with BB guns and pellet guns, and paintball guns.  [No goggles].

My friend and I beating up a group of neighborhood bullies with a baseball bat.  We were much smaller, and fewer in number [2 6th graders vs. 6 freshman], but a Louisville slugger is a great equalizer! [after we were done with these guys my friend's older brother, Robert the maniac mentioned above, and his friends happened to come across all of us and then gave these guys a second whooping for picking on us in the first place!  We never had one peep of trouble in our neighborhood ever again.]

Ahhhh... yes, the good old days!  I would be terrified to watch my kids do this [when I have kids].
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom

Anyone like "The Wonder Years"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wonder_Years
The Wonder Years is an American television comedy-drama created by Carol Black and Neal Marlens. It ran for six seasons on ABC, from 1988 through 1993 and each season took place exactly twenty years before the then current year (thus the show takes place in 1968-73). The pilot aired on January 31, 1988 after ABC's coverage of Super Bowl XXII.

The show achieved a spot in the Nielsen Top Ten for two of its six seasons.[1] TV Guide named the show one of the 1980s' 20 best.[1] After only six episodes aired, The Wonder Years won an Emmy for best comedy series in 1988.[1] Moreover, at the age of 13, Fred Savage gained the honor of being the youngest actor ever nominated Outstanding Lead Actor for a Comedy Series. In addition, the show was awarded a Peabody Award in 1989, for achieving two seemingly contradictory effects: evoking a traditional family sitcom while pushing boundaries and using new modes of storytelling.[2] In total, the series won 22 awards, and was nominated for a further 54 more.[3] Modern critics point out the show was lucky to come at a time when, "baby boomers were grown up, and ready to watch themselves."

The show's theme is Joe Cocker's cover[4] of the Beatles' song "With a Little Help from My Friends". The title of the show is adapted from a once widely-shown television commercial for Wonder Bread, in which viewers were urged to nourish their children with the product through their adolescence ("Wonder Years").

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom

One of my fav shows ever

It gives me that warm fuzzy feeling like when I was a kid in the 70s... I often felt like that central character in the Wonder Years...

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!

Well back then we did not have ABS, Anti-Lock Braking Systems like most cars have today... Back then we really had to pump the brake pedal to get some real stopping action... I think ABS became standard in the 80s...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antilock_braking

Modern ABS

Chrysler, together with the Bendix Corporation, introduced a true computerized three-channel, four sensor all-wheel antilock brake system called "Sure Brake" on the 1971 Imperial.[5] It was available for several years thereafter, functioned as intended, and proved reliable. General Motors introduced the "Trackmaster" rear-wheel (only) ABS as an option on their Rear-wheel drive Cadillac models in 1971.[6][7]

In 1975, Robert Bosch took over a European company called Teldix (contraction of Telefunken and Bendix) and all patents registered by this joint-venture and used this acquisition to build the base of the ABS system introduced on the market some years later. The German firms Bosch and Daimler-Benz had been co-developing anti-lock braking technology since the early 1970s, and introduced the first completely electronic 4-wheel multi-channel ABS system in trucks and the Mercedes-Benz S-Class in 1978.[citation needed]

The modern ABS system applies individual brake pressure to all four wheels through a control system of hub mounted sensors and a dedicated micro-controller. ABS is offered, or comes standard, on most road vehicles produced today and is the foundation for ESC systems, which are also rapidly increasing in popularity due to the vast reduction in price of vehicle electronics over the years.[8]

ABS is ok its more along the lines as a panic stop. But an older car with a proper brake system that is functioning and a good driver you will have no issues. I used to ride bikes with no helmets and I was fine. Now a days kids have xbox's playstations there is no need to play with a friend cause they are all online now.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
used to look like paulie but without glasses

The Wonder Years is an American television comedy-drama created by Carol Black and Neal Marlens. It ran for six seasons on ABC, from 1988 through 1993 and each season took place exactly twenty years before the then current year (thus the show takes place in 1968-73). The pilot aired on January 31, 1988 after ABC's coverage of Super Bowl XXII.

The show achieved a spot in the Nielsen Top Ten for two of its six seasons.[1] TV Guide named the show one of the 1980s' 20 best.[1] After only six episodes aired, The Wonder Years won an Emmy for best comedy series in 1988.[1] Moreover, at the age of 13, Fred Savage gained the honor of being the youngest actor ever nominated Outstanding Lead Actor for a Comedy Series. In addition, the show was awarded a Peabody Award in 1989, for achieving two seemingly contradictory effects: evoking a traditional family sitcom while pushing boundaries and using new modes of storytelling.[2] In total, the series won 22 awards, and was nominated for a further 54 more.[3] Modern critics point out the show was lucky to come at a time when, "baby boomers were grown up, and ready to watch themselves."

The show's theme is Joe Cocker's cover[4] of the Beatles' song "With a Little Help from My Friends". The title of the show is adapted from a once widely-shown television commercial for Wonder Bread, in which viewers were urged to nourish their children with the product through their adolescence ("Wonder Years").
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein