Author Topic: First meat made from dairy and grain  (Read 4305 times)

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
First meat made from dairy and grain
« on: July 27, 2010, 11:33:08 AM »
It was tested and the canidates were not able to differ between real meat and the imitation. I don't know if it is kosher and if it is imported to Israel or USA. Perhaps a business opportunity, who knows.

http://www.valess.de/

The advertising for it is a mother telling the people: Now I am able to feed my little raptors without meat.  :::D
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
Re: First meat made from dairy and grain
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 12:56:59 PM »
Since it contains dairy product I think the market for this product is very small. It must be either very tasty, or very cheap (which I doubt), to make a profit.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 01:06:15 PM »
Since it contains dairy product I think the market for this product is very small. It must be either very tasty, or very cheap (which I doubt), to make a profit.

You are right. It is for shure not cheap. But the test persons said it is tasty.

Basically it is a kind of cheese.

Why is it a problem, that it is made from dairy?
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 01:15:19 PM »
I'm not a Jewish expert on this topic, but just so that you know, it can't have any meat powder flavoring in it either and the dairy has to come from a kosher animal.

Despite this, there might be some religious Jews who might argue that having something dairy that taste like meat and mix it with real dairy might give the wrong idea of mixing milk with meat...
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 01:20:36 PM »
Vegans don't eat dairy products and they are a major target to meat substitutes. Health-conscious carnivores are also a major target group. But processed milk- basically hard cheese, is not particularly healthy, nor lean.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 01:23:10 PM »
I'm not a Jewish expert on this topic, but just so that you know, it can't have any meat powder flavoring in it either and the dairy has to come from a kosher animal.

Despite this, there might be some religious Jews who might argue that having something dairy that taste like meat and mix it with real dairy might give the wrong idea of mixing milk with meat...

There are kosher dairy restaurants that have "soy-based" fake meat products that they combine with cheese (ie "chicken" parmagian) , so probably if there is no meat whatsoever in this product, it's very possible it can be eaten or certified as kosher.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 01:25:25 PM »

There are kosher dairy restaurants that have "soy-based" fake meat products that they combine with cheese (ie "chicken" parmagian) , so probably if there is no meat whatsoever in this product, it's very possible it can be eaten or certified as kosher.

But when you have imitation meat mixed with milk isn't it against the spirit of Kashrut to eat these things?  What's the consensus of it?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 01:35:19 PM »
Interesting thoughts on this issue. I think Zelhar, you have a very important point.

So basically mainly Jews could be interested in this product if at all.

Theoretically if you would use only this kind of meat you would need only one kitchen. So it would save lots of money.

But traditional people live nearly always traditional. So they would not go for artificial products and would prefer the real stuff.

You see Dr. Dan here. I think lots of others would have the same problems of consciousness conscience like him.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 01:52:47 PM by Ulli »

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 02:11:50 PM »

But when you have imitation meat mixed with milk isn't it against the spirit of Kashrut to eat these things?  What's the consensus of it?

Apparently not according to the Vaad of Kashrut of Greater Washington which certified such a restaurant where I once ate.  There were many Torah Jews eating there and it had certification with the imitation meat products.    I think kashrut is really about what you are actually eating, not a "spirit" of the law.   If it's soy, it's soy.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 02:16:11 PM »
Well there is a question of whether a Jewish observer might think that they are eating milk and meat and becoming confused. I believe that it should be well known that what is being eaten doesn't violate the mitzvot.

http://www.askmoses.com/en/article/146,2220607/Can-I-drink-soy-milk-at-a-meal-with-meat.html
Mrs. Esty Davidson: Welcome. I'll be with you in a moment...

Chana: Is it okay to drink soy milk with a meal that has red meat?

Mrs. Esty Davidson: if it's non-dairy, it's okay, but serve it in the original container

Mrs. Esty Davidson: so that nobody at the table (or even you yourself) should think it's milk and meat

Mrs. Esty Davidson: or even imagine that it is

Chana: Okay, that's a good idea. Thanks for your help!

Mrs. Esty Davidson: you're welcome

Mrs. Esty Davidson: (it's not my idea - it's the law! :))1
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 02:17:21 PM »
 I figured that is the case that it isn't about taste. But if it isn't about taste then why is poultry a prohibition with dairy? 8)

Apparently not according to the Vaad of Kashrut of Greater Washington which certified such a restaurant where I once ate.  There were many Torah Jews eating there and it had certification with the imitation meat products.    I think kashrut is really about what you are actually eating, not a "spirit" of the law.   If it's soy, it's soy.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 02:21:26 PM »
There is an issue with Maris Ayin... Or there used to be...

http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/kk-kosher-cons-handbk.htm

9) Maris Ayin -

The Torah states, “V’heeyesem Niki’im”58 - a Yid must be “clean” in the eyes of his neighbors, and must not perform even permissible activities that appear to be incorrect. This is known as Maris Ayin. Therefore, a person should not serve something that appears to be dairy with meat59 and vice versa. However, if a commonly used substitute for dairy is being eaten it is permissible to serve it with meat, even though it looks like a dairy item.60 There was a time when serving pareve ice cream or sticks of margarine at a fleishig banquet was questionable, because people thought the caterer was serving real ice cream or butter with meat.

Nowadays, these pareve items are commonly used and, therefore, are
permissible at a meat meal.  Similarly, soy based burgers and pareve non-meat hot dogs are readily available and may be eaten with dairy.  However, if someone produced a pareve product that looks like steak, one would not be allowed to eat it with dairy, because of maris ayin.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline ✡ Hindu Zionist ॐ

• Master JTFer
  • India- Most pro-Israel country of the world!
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 02:33:04 PM »
sounds good, but maybe unhealthy. If that thing comes to India, theres a huge potential market for it
Vegans don't eat dairy products and they are a major target to meat substitutes. Health-conscious carnivores are also a major target group. But processed milk- basically hard cheese, is not particularly healthy, nor lean.
hmm, almost everyone in india who claim to be vegans, do eat dairy products.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 02:33:47 PM »
I still hate veggie burgers.

Offline ✡ Hindu Zionist ॐ

• Master JTFer
  • India- Most pro-Israel country of the world!
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 02:56:36 PM »
this will also help the astronauts who like consuming meat, considering animal meat may not be available to them.

Scientists are also working on creating meat by cell culture, but it remains to be seen if our cultures will accept cultured meat ;D

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 03:01:24 PM »
sounds good, but maybe unhealthy. If that thing comes to India, theres a huge potential market for it
hmm, almost everyone in india who claim to be vegans, do eat dairy products.
I think people who eat dairy (or eggs) but no meat are called vegetarians.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 04:08:09 PM »
I figured that is the case that it isn't about taste. But if it isn't about taste then why is poultry a prohibition with dairy? 8)

From what I understand, that was a gezera from the Talmudic times in which they counted poultry as "meat" even though it is really not meat, because of the worry of mixing it up with meat and accidentally eating meat with cheese instead of chicken with cheese.   One of the tannaim states his opinion that we can eat chicken with dairy, but his view is rejected by the Talmud.    Things back then were different, before the times of packaged foods, etc, so I'm not sure exactly what the issues were, but in any case, we don't extend that gezera (as with Talmudic gezerot in general) to include more than what the rabbis of the Talmud included as far as I know.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 07:31:14 PM »
When I was not trying to consciously follow any Jewish precepts, I have eaten seafood and enjoyed it, but I cannot eat milk with meat, cannot.  I dont know why.   I dont think it has anything to do with it being forbidden, I just have never been able to think of it without having a negative reaction.  Incidently, this is nothing against anyone on the forum who enjoys a Philly cheesesteak or cheeseburger.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 09:12:51 PM »

From what I understand, that was a gezera from the Talmudic times in which they counted poultry as "meat" even though it is really not meat, because of the worry of mixing it up with meat and accidentally eating meat with cheese instead of chicken with cheese.   One of the tannaim states his opinion that we can eat chicken with dairy, but his view is rejected by the Talmud.    Things back then were different, before the times of packaged foods, etc, so I'm not sure exactly what the issues were, but in any case, we don't extend that gezera (as with Talmudic gezerot in general) to include more than what the rabbis of the Talmud included as far as I know.

I'm a little bit confused with what you wrote, KWRBT.  I know that the Rabbis of the Talmud for some reason decided to canonize poultry as meat and it's signed and sealed, so irregardless of how we treat soy "meat" or soy "dairy", if a Rabbi says it's ok, it's ok.

On another issue.  while the words of the written Torah can never be changed, what about rulings of Rabbis in the past?  Can a ruling that is written in the Talmud be reversed, changed, or revised?  Or once it's written, it's sealed for good?

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 09:41:15 PM »

Quote from: KWRBT

I'm a little bit confused with what you wrote, KWRBT.  I know that the Rabbis of the Talmud for some reason decided to canonize poultry as meat and it's signed and sealed, so irregardless of how we treat soy "meat" or soy "dairy", if a Rabbi says it's ok, it's ok. 
[/b]

They didn't turn chicken into meat.  They simply prohibited eating of chicken with dairy, as if it was meat, even though it is not meat.  I don't think anyone claims that the rabbis turned poultry into meat.  It was a fence around the prohibition to eat meat with dairy.  They included chicken with that.  Added it to the prohibition.

I didn't understand the part that I put into bold.  Could you clarify that question?

On another issue.  while the words of the written Torah can never be changed, what about rulings of Rabbis in the past?  Can a ruling that is written in the Talmud be reversed, changed, or revised?  Or once it's written, it's sealed for good?

This touches on a huge machloketh.    In general, the traditional approach to halacha (which the deform movements separated themselves from and do not adhere to) is that the Talmud is binding, and all halachic authorities accept that as the framework for halacha.  Varying interpretation of the Talmudic sources within the realm of plausible readings and possible understandings will come to underline halachic disputes, while no one will come to say a ruling in opposition to the Talmud itself which operates as a canon.   But when there was a rabbinic gezera from the Talmud, based on reasons given by the rabbis enacting it there, and these reasons (whatever they were) are no longer relevant or no longer existing conditions in today's world, the question becomes, does the gezera remain in force, or can it be changed because the reason(s) it hinged on are no longer valid.   That is a classic machloketh between the Rambam and Raavad.   The Rambam says the gezera stays even if the original reason is no longer valid.  I admit I have difficulty understanding that ruling.   The Raavad says since the reasons no longer apply, neither does the gezera.  However, this refers specifically to a derabanan gezera with reasons attached to it.    The drashoth that underline Deoraita prohibitions and deoraita rulings are not negotiable except by a Sanhedrin, and even that is actually a difference of opinion, whether a future-formed Sanhedrin will have authority to contradict the Talmud... The Chazon Ish argued strongly against that when proposed by Rav Elchonon Wasserman.   That the Oral Torah has not remained Oral and was put into writing greatly complicates this question.    Without a Sanhedrin I think there is no question that we do not contradict the Talmud's halachic rulings (with possible exception for conditional gezerot), and I believe the Rambam elaborates on the methodology for psak halacha in which he includes multiple Talmudic sources being weighed against each other including Yerushalmi, Bavli, Sifre, Sifra, Tosefta, Braitot.   However, some chachamim focus more strictly on Bavli and some later codifications of halacha including Shulhan Aruch.

Just as a tangent but this might be interesting, Lehavdil, the Deform movements came to reject Talmud in general and think they can cherry pick whatever they want for halacha.  They don't operate within the rules of Jewish law and wanted to create Jewish law anew.   For this the conservative scholars referred to a notion of "catholic Israel" which they invented and which has no basis in chazal or any sources before them.   They explained this theological invention of theirs that the law is defined by what the Jewish people collectively decide to stop keeping or continue keeping.   Therefore, if Jews start to eat shrimp (and they actually said this should go by majority of the observing community - how they define that is also specious) then shrimp has become permitted in Jewish law.   Totally out of whack.  That was a digression but I recently learned about that.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 05:04:55 AM »
Anyone ever wonder why so many vegetarians and vegans seem to go out of their way to find products that LOOK like meat and TASTE like meat but aren't?
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 05:32:30 AM »
Anyone ever wonder why so many vegetarians and vegans seem to go out of their way to find products that LOOK like meat and TASTE like meat but aren't?

Some of them go vegan to avoid allergies. Others like the taste of meat but don't want to consume actual animals. They like it because that's what they grew up on.

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 06:10:29 AM »
judging that it came from Germany (Yuk) I doubt it's kosher.
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2010, 06:13:19 AM »
I like the advertisement, especially how in the background they make the kids look ravenously hungry.  :::D

I'd try it if they had it here. I like to try meat substitutes sometimes even though I'm not a vegetarian.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2010, 06:52:08 AM »
I like the advertisement, especially how in the background they make the kids look ravenously hungry.  :::D

I'd try it if they had it here. I like to try meat substitutes sometimes even though I'm not a vegetarian.

Did you see the video?

http://www.valess.de/player/12786?width=820&height=442