Author Topic: Inmates eating better than school kids?  (Read 2158 times)

Online Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
Inmates eating better than school kids?
« on: July 31, 2010, 08:22:38 PM »
http://www.slashfood.com/2010/07/28/inmates-eating-better-than-school-kids-that-s-criminal/

Processed chicken nuggets, syrupy chocolate milk, heaps of salty French fries: It's no real secret that the state of American public school lunches is a mess. But things are even more depressing than you thought: Inmates – yes, actual criminals behind bars – are probably eating better than our kids.

In a recent article for the Tennessee's Herald-Tribune, reporter Tracey Hackett investigated what comes out of the kitchen at the state's Putnam County Justice Center. She found that each inmate gets two meals a day, breakfast and dinner. (Inmates can buy lunchtime snacks if they have an account, as many do). Hackett found that inmates were typically eating from-scratch, balanced meals -- a far cry from the frozen, chemical-laden processed food our kids are getting.

Sarah Parsons at Sustainable Food, a division of Change.org, makes no bones about it, writing that "When you take a look at the school lunches kids receive in America's cafeterias, jail food looks like a meal at a five-star restaurant."

What's on the menu in prison? One Putnam County Justice Center breakfast consisted of gravy, a biscuit, scrambled eggs, a hash brown patty, pineapple slices, an eight-ounce glass of milk, and some jelly. Dinners are also pretty healthy, typically a sandwich or casserole, two or three servings of vegetables like mashed potatoes, corn and green beans, and sides like cornbread and sweet tea. The inmates even get dessert, like a piece of cake, fruit or a cookie.
1202Share

And somehow, the prison kitchen managers are doing it for about $1.83 per meal. Schools receive $2.68 for each meal, yet struggle to provide kids with the necessary servings of fruits and veggies. (Congress is currently debating the Improving Nutrition for America's Children Act, an $8 billion initiative to improve the nation's school lunches.)

"I find it hard to believe that a prison could find a way to feed its inmates dairy and five servings of fruits and veggies a day, and the best school cafeterias can do is dish out processed chicken patties and rubbery hot dogs," Parsons writes.

"Most of our inmates probably eat more nutritiously while they're in jail than they do when they're not," said Robert Maynard, kitchen manager at the Justice Center. Maynard his staff have an eight-week menu rotation to ensure meal variety, and a random 14-day sample is submitted to a registered dietitian, who can approve the meals or make suggestions to improve their nutritional value.

The point is not that inmates don't deserve nutritious meals -- it's that our kids do, too.

Read more: http://www.slashfood.com/2010/07/28/inmates-eating-better-than-school-kids-that-s-criminal/#ixzz0vJhenRvL
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Inmates eating better than school kids?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 08:36:40 PM »
A lot of kids won't eat healthy food. If you're an 8 year old would you rather have a pizza slice or a veggie and chicken wrap? And don't say that stuff about how healthy food can taste good. It doesn't and never will taste as good as unhealthy food, unless some miracle happens.

Online Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 12:20:18 AM »
A lot of kids won't eat healthy food. If you're an 8 year old would you rather have a pizza slice or a veggie and chicken wrap? And don't say that stuff about how healthy food can taste good. It doesn't and never will taste as good as unhealthy food, unless some miracle happens.

What about Strawberries,Oranges and Grapefruits?  Are they unhealthy?  Do they taste terrible?
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 12:30:45 AM »
Pizza is not unhealthy if it's made with quality ingredients. Unfortunately quality ingredients drastically run up costs.

In any case it is not the government's business to provide school lunches.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 01:40:31 AM »
What about Strawberries,Oranges and Grapefruits?  Are they unhealthy?  Do they taste terrible?

That's what's called a side dish.

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 08:03:52 AM »
Well a lot of things they serve at school cafeterias is not healthy. Plus they got soda and candy machines in the schools as well.

Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 08:36:11 AM »
Well a lot of things they serve at school cafeterias is not healthy. Plus they got soda and candy machines in the schools as well.

They probably should take out the soda and candy machines, but a full-fat regular hot meal probably isn't going to hurt a growing child as long as they get enough physical activity.

Offline TheCoon

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 08:39:13 AM »
And they wonder why kids are sluggish and retarded these days. They feed them food you wouldn't give to stray dogs and cut all the physical education classes.

Why the hell do parents need schools to feed their [censored] kids in the first place? Parents can't afford a bag of rolled oats for oatmeal in the morning? How about a loaf of bread and even some peanut butter/jelly for sandwiches at lunch? They can't afford orange juice or milk for their kids? Anything is better than giving kids [censored] fries and nuggets for breakfast/lunch. I think any parent that is happy to have the state feed their kids is a terrible parent.

These disgusting parents need to have more pride in their families, man up and feed their kids right.
The city isn't what it used to be. It all happened so fast. Everything went to crap. It's like... everyone's sense of morals just disappeared. Bad economy made things worse. Jobs started drying up, then the stores had to shut down. Then a black man was elected president. He was supposed to change things. He didn't. More and more people turned to crime and violence... The town becomes gripped with fear. Dark times, dark times... I am the hero this town needs. I am... The Coon!!!

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 08:43:59 AM »
Kids aren't allowed to bring peanut butter to school anymore if there's an allergic student around. Plus peanut butter has hydrogenated fat and is high in fat and sugar (I've tried the kinds that aren't, and wow, they taste gross). Anyway, you're right that bagged lunches are generally healthier than lunch served at school, but you also have to understand that some of the kids won't get to eat at all if the kids don't have a lunch served to them. It's not that the parents can't afford it, but it's that the parents spend money on other things, like rims or Kools or beer. I've seen what the negroes buy at the grocery store with their EBT cards (I used to be a cashier) and healthy lunches for the kids is not their top priority. It's sodas and junk food.  Those kids might not get any lunch at all if the school didn't provide it.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 09:34:35 AM »
Kids aren't allowed to bring peanut butter to school anymore if there's an allergic student around. Plus peanut butter has hydrogenated fat and is high in fat and sugar (I've tried the kinds that aren't, and wow, they taste gross). Anyway, you're right that bagged lunches are generally healthier than lunch served at school, but you also have to understand that some of the kids won't get to eat at all if the kids don't have a lunch served to them. It's not that the parents can't afford it, but it's that the parents spend money on other things, like rims or Kools or beer. I've seen what the negroes buy at the grocery store with their EBT cards (I used to be a cashier) and healthy lunches for the kids is not their top priority. It's sodas and junk food.  Those kids might not get any lunch at all if the school didn't provide it.
I agree that some children would go hungry if they didn't have reduced or free lunch.  It's a shame that there are people who received this service, but are not truly entitled to it.  Many illegals receive this service.  I know because it is my cousin's job to register them in her school district.

Many school districts have adopted a wellness policy.  They have tried to have healthy menu choices.  Wellness policies can be over the top though.
All natural peanut butter is kind of gross.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 11:41:29 AM »
A lot of kids will only eat "kid food", like chicken nuggets, pizza slices, tacos, etc. They don't want an artichoke wrap or pita bread and hummus or a tofu scramble. I can guarantee that a lot of the kids would rather go hungry than eat that stuff or might take a bite and spit it back out.

If they're going to push healthy food into the school lunches the recipes need to be healthier but still "kid food", but I would argue that kids of a certain age need some high-calorie meals in order to have enough calories to grow and run around. Their metabolism is still fairly high.

I agree with you about the kids of illegals bullcat, they shouldn't even be going to American schools.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 08:10:23 AM »
A lot of kids will only eat "kid food", like chicken nuggets, pizza slices, tacos, etc. They don't want an artichoke wrap or pita bread and hummus or a tofu scramble. I can guarantee that a lot of the kids would rather go hungry than eat that stuff or might take a bite and spit it back out.

If they're going to push healthy food into the school lunches the recipes need to be healthier but still "kid food", but I would argue that kids of a certain age need some high-calorie meals in order to have enough calories to grow and run around. Their metabolism is still fairly high.

I agree with you about the kids of illegals bullcat, they shouldn't even be going to American schools.

What's a tofu scramble?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 08:54:24 AM »

What's a tofu scramble?

Well you take extra firm tofu, break it up a bit, mix it with spices and maybe some vegetables, heat it all together in a pan and serve it like an omelette. Some people who are allergic to eggs use it as an egg substitute. It's also vegan for those who don't eat animal products and if it's made without any animal products it shouldn't contain any cholesterol either.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 09:09:50 AM »

The poor kids in our school district.  They can only buy water and there are no candy machines.  LOL 

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 09:10:13 AM »
Plus peanut butter has hydrogenated fat and is high in fat and sugar (I've tried the kinds that aren't, and wow, they taste gross).
Laura Scudder's is all-natural and it tastes great.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 09:12:24 AM »
Plus peanut butter has hydrogenated fat and is high in fat and sugar (I've tried the kinds that aren't, and wow, they taste gross).
Laura Scudder's is all-natural and it tastes great.

I haven't tried it but all the oil sitting on top that you have to mix in every time (rather than it being suspended in like in hydrogenated peanut butter, looks gross.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 09:14:50 AM »
INMATES FOR MURDER AND RAPE SHOULD BE FORCED TO CONSUME EACH OTHER IT WOULD SAVE US MONEY.Also all moslem  INMATES
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 09:55:42 AM »

I already know the reason. I knew the reason since I was in school.
The management pocket the money.
That's it that's actually the answer.
They are among the lowest sum on earth.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 11:01:41 AM »
INMATES FOR MURDER AND RAPE SHOULD BE FORCED TO CONSUME EACH OTHER IT WOULD SAVE US MONEY.Also all moslem  INMATES
True.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 11:05:57 AM »

And you've eaten this?

What's a tofu scramble?

Well you take extra firm tofu, break it up a bit, mix it with spices and maybe some vegetables, heat it all together in a pan and serve it like an omelette. Some people who are allergic to eggs use it as an egg substitute. It's also vegan for those who don't eat animal products and if it's made without any animal products it shouldn't contain any cholesterol either.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 07:19:53 PM »
I haven't tried it but all the oil sitting on top that you have to mix in every time (rather than it being suspended in like in hydrogenated peanut butter, looks gross.
Peanut oil is one of the healthiest oils there is. Plus, since it is liquid, you know it is not hydrogenated.