Author Topic: 70% of Americans say economy is in a recession  (Read 894 times)

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
Re: 70% of Americans say economy is in a recession
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 04:54:57 PM »
But I thought we were in a recovery??? 

By the way, the sugar-high window dressing stimulant that Obama force-fed us is starting to wear off, and that's why the Administration is panicking.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 06:35:22 PM »

By the way, the sugar-high window dressing stimulant that Obama force-fed us is starting to wear off, and that's why the Administration is panicking.

Nope. "They" say recession, so it must be so.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 06:56:15 PM »

True....They are fixing to toss another trillion or so in to bolster fanny and freddy...This is how bad things still are in the home finance department.... I am glad I bought and paid for my home many moons ago. People who have large mortgages on over priced homes are really going to get clobbered when deflation starts rearing its nasty head...Unless people have a home in a very prime location they should expect to loose a great deal of equity in the next few years.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 07:11:42 PM »
Unemployment is at a 26 year high, that's a recession, not a recovery.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 07:37:27 PM »

True....They are fixing to toss another trillion or so in to bolster fanny and freddy...This is how bad things still are in the home finance department.... I am glad I bought and paid for my home many moons ago. People who have large mortgages on over priced homes are really going to get clobbered when deflation starts rearing its nasty head...Unless people have a home in a very prime location they should expect to loose a great deal of equity in the next few years.

Thanks to the BP spill, the beach front property my parents invested in has probably lost over half the value, i take it that it's going to be about 20 years before the value goes back up.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 07:38:25 PM »
Unemployment is at a 26 year high, that's a recession, not a recovery.
White people are unemployed, too, so you know it's still recession.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 09:14:38 PM »
Baruch Hashem, I have not suffered yet in this recession. Things are rough, bills are high, and it seems like taxes are going up. But I have been withholding more taxes than I owe for many years, and if it goes up it only means less of a refund.

I am working like a maniac dog, driving 3 hours a day back and forth to work, and tired most of the time. But my job allows me to work without much physical exertion, as I am a software engineer, and I really have always enjoyed writing software since I was in my teens. I wish that there were more well-trained and motivated software engineering students in the states because it seems like most of the engineers are here on foreign visas.

It is my greatest hope that the economy turns around. I don't really know the magic bullet to get out. I own stock in my company as a part of the benefit package and it seems like our stock is really hanging in there. I often compare this companies stock to the stock of the previous company I worked for and my current company is outperforming my last company.

What I am saying is that there is a great recession. But even so there are places where it is safe from the storm. I daven each day for everyone to find their parnassa {livelihood}. It is my advice to seek work in the professional field because with Hashems help you will find the job you are meant to find. I have been working steadily since I was only 16 and have moved up every time I got a new job...

May everyone find parnassa in this difficult time...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 09:01:05 AM »
The job market has been pretty bad everywhere. I was very lucky to get a job where I am at now, but for the most part everyone in my family has been struggling to pay bills. I've been to a few different states looking for work, I went to Chicago for a while and there was nothing to be found there, I thought a big city would offer plenty of opportunity, instead it was full of crime, drugs and overpriced clothing.

Have been finding jobs here and there in Alabama, Mississippi and BP was hiring for a while at 35 an hour. I ended up getting a job doing wireless internet tech support and just now catching up on bills but it's still pretty rough, I consider myself very lucky to have got the job I have now as it is very difficult to find a job anywhere in the US. I thank Hashem everyday for being able to find work.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 09:17:19 AM »
By the time I finish University in around 3 years (and study to become an accountant subsequently thereafter) I hope, things will be better. I am in Canada so maybe it's better here.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 01:44:31 PM »
By the time I finish University in around 3 years (and study to become an accountant subsequently thereafter) I hope, things will be better. I am in Canada so maybe it's better here.

Canada sounds like a better place than the US right now, my grandma is from Canada (Quebec), maybe I should check it out.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »

Canada sounds like a better place than the US right now, my grandma is from Canada (Quebec), maybe I should check it out.
It has its ups and downs, but on the whole, from what I'm hearing, the whole recession/not being able to find a job thing isn't as bad here B'H.