Author Topic: Mark Farner and Don Brewer -when they were young... 1974 music video hard rock  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
Has a 7 minute drum solo.  Don is one of the best of all time!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Very Nice indeed...

Here is one of Rush's Neil Pearts Drum solo in the tune YYZ...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
Meanwhile, back in 1958...

Watch this middle aged Negro playing just one drum without amplifiers.....

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
A middle aged Jew unable to read music.....

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
Aces High, I have come to conclude that YOU are Mark Farner!     ;D

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
Aces High, I have come to conclude that YOU are Mark Farner!     ;D
That is really funny!   Hold on let me see.... Mark Farner.... yeah... I like the ring of it!

I bought his autobiography, he claims he's got Jewish blood. 

He's actually a born again Christian.  I don't know how he feels about Israel. 

The one thing I don't like is that Grand Funk reunited for a bit, and did a Bosnian tour to raise money for Bosnian orphans from the war.  But how about one for the Serbs?  He didn't pick that group.

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
A middle aged Jew unable to read music.....

Holy cow, never heard of Buddy rich.  Incredible.   Never seen anything like it.  Blows away Donny Brewer.  Buddy looks like he has arthritis on his right side, watched some of his videos connected to your link.

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
I was reading some comments about people saying Buddy was a miserable a-hole.  Did you see how Buddy answered the guy who asked him how his ride was??   What an a-hole, Buddy was.  But man- 0- chevitz- I've never seen that kind of speed at drumming.  He doesn't look physically capable of it, but he does it!

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
You'd be an A-hole too if you had been in show business full-time since you were first able to put on knickers.

"Traps the Boy Wonder" --

Imagine how many crooks, shysters, sociopaths, lying managers and accountants, whores, and gangsters he's had to put up with, and then you'll realize why he's not "mister nice guy" -- (except he really was a nice guy to those who were his friends).

And those were the days before air conditioning, before power steering, and before drums had waterproof plastic heads on them.

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
Usually the artists themselves aren't the ones who set up and choose tours and itinerary - it's done by their management in coordination with at least one professional booking agency.

And when you're a "has-been" **group like Grand Funk, you're no longer on the first call A-List when promoters are booking shows for the 16-26 age group of today's young college age music buyers.

Often groups like GFR are lucky if they can headline an "oldies show" at the State Fairgrounds featuring other middle aged men who once sold records.

** No slight intended - but that's the way today's pierced and tattooed youth view men like Mark Farner who are now in the late fifties or early sixties and were once rock stars.

Today's young music goers know that Don Brewer is one of the worst drummers who ever lived, because had he been any good he would have had a huge drum set with at least twelve or more drums, and he would have tattoos and piercings all over his arms, face, neck, and torso. (sarcasm intended)

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
Re:  Holy cow, never heard of Buddy rich.  Incredible. "

No one has yet to be able to truly understand his technique, let alone transcribe his playing into musical notation.

Another great super-Jew.

Played behind Frank Sinatra when both were in the Dorsey Bros. Band.

Everything about the man and his music is worth a deep study - they don't make 'em like him anymore - a former Marine and a black belt in Karate.

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
Re:  Holy cow, never heard of Buddy rich.  Incredible. "

No one has yet to be able to truly understand his technique, let alone transcribe his playing into musical notation.

Another great super-Jew.

Played behind Frank Sinatra when both were in the Dorsey Bros. Band.

Everything about the man and his music is worth a deep study - they don't make 'em like him anymore - a former Marine and a black belt in Karate.

What's wrong with his right side?

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
Re:  "What's wrong with his right side?"

I never noticed he had any trouble, but it's very possible that arthritis troubled him, or back problems. 

Or maybe he's so mean that his right side got sick from being afraid of him!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Neil Pearts favorite drummer is Buddy Rich, and he played at the Buddy Rich Memorial Scholarship Concert in 1992...

Here is some info on it from Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_peart

Early in his career, Peart's performance style was deeply rooted in hard rock. He drew most of his inspiration from drummers such as Keith Moon and John Bonham, players who were at the forefront of the British hard rock scene.[1] As time progressed, however, he began to emulate jazz and big band musicians Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich. In 1994, Peart became a friend and pupil of jazz instructor Freddie Gruber.[2]  It was during this time that Peart decided to revamp his playing style by incorporating jazz and swing components. Gruber was also responsible for introducing him to the products of Drum Workshop, the company whose products Peart currently endorses.

Play style reinvention

In 1992, Peart was invited by Buddy Rich's daughter, Cathy Rich, to play at the Buddy Rich Memorial Scholarship Concert in New York City. Though initially intimidated by the request, Peart accepted the offer and performed for the first time with the Buddy Rich Big Band. Feeling that his performance left much to be desired, Peart decided to produce and play on two Buddy Rich tribute albums titled Burning for Buddy: A Tribute to the Music of Buddy Rich in 1994 and 1997 in order to regain his aplomb.

Peart wrote on his personal website that "And yet...I still had a nagging feeling that when I played in that style, I was just imitating it, not really feeling it properly. As the old Duke Ellington standard goes, 'It don’t mean a thing, if it ain’t got that swing', and I didn’t think I did."[17]

In early 2007, Peart and Cathy Rich again began discussing yet another Buddy tribute concert. In response, Peart decided to once again augment his swing style with formal drum lessons, this time under the tutelage of another pupil of Freddie Gruber, Peter Erskine, himself an instructor of drummer Steve Gadd. On October 18, 2008, Peart once again performed at the Buddy Rich Memorial Concert at New York's Hammerstein Ballroom.

Style and Influences

Peart is consistently ranked as one of the greatest rock drummers by fans, fellow musicians, and magazines.[23][24] His influences are eclectic, ranging from John Bonham, Michael Giles, Phil Collins, Steve Gadd, and Keith Moon, to fusion and jazz drummers Billy Cobham, Buddy Rich, Bill Bruford and Gene Krupa.[25][26] The Who was the first group that inspired him to write songs and play the drums.[27] Peart is distinguished for playing "butt-end out", reversing stick orientation for greater impact and increased rimshot  capacity. "When I was starting out", Peart later said, "if I broke the tips off my sticks I couldn't afford to buy new ones, so I would just turn them around and use the other end. I got used to it, and continue to use the heavy end of lighter sticks - it gives me a solid impact, but with less 'dead weight' to sling around."[28]
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14