Author Topic: I liked distilled water  (Read 2619 times)

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
I liked distilled water
« on: August 08, 2010, 02:28:12 AM »
Is drinking distilled water bad for me? I like having water with zero flavor. I used to like a non-distilled bottled water called Nestle pure life, but lately it's taken on a sort of salty taste to it that I didn't notice before. I hate the tap water around here because it tastes like clay. I tried a brand of water which said it was spring water and it tastes like it's full of yucky tasting minerals.

I don't like salty or clay-tasting water. I like water to taste pure, and so far distilled water is the only water that I really like. I was wondering if it was true that if I drink this that it will pull the minerals out of my body and cause health problems.

I've been avoiding drinking regular water and replacing it with diet sodas, herbal teas, coffee, etc. to hide the flavor of the water.

I'm not that picky when it comes to food most of the time, but I want my water to be clear and pure. Distilled water is the only kind I can find where I actually like drinking the water straight.

Offline ✡ Hindu Zionist ॐ

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • India- Most pro-Israel country of the world!
Re: I liked distilled water
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 02:44:52 AM »
I have heard distilled water do not contain any traces of minerals and salts, but of course you can compensate for loss of minerals/salts by eating other healthy food stuff. So all in all, it wudnt effect health.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 02:48:36 AM »
I have heard distilled water do not contain any traces of minerals and salts, but of course you can compensate for loss of minerals/salts by eating other healthy food stuff. So all in all, it wudnt effect health.

Thanks HZ. I was also wondering what to eat to compensate for the loss of minerals if i start drinking distilled water.

Many of the flavored drinks (like vitamin water, lemonade, etc.) are either based on distilled water, or the flavor of the drink hides the flavor of the water. I'd like to be able to just drink plain water sometimes and have it taste good but I don't like plain water to have any salty or mineral flavor to it.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 03:08:36 AM »
Water through reverse-osmosis is the best tasting water I've had.
Its cleaner than by distillation.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 04:55:32 AM »
The best water is from the water tap, because it is the the cheapest one.  8)
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 05:46:56 AM »
Thank G-d here in New York we have good water supplies... The city itself had far seeing people in the past that bought up large lakes and such to make a reservoir system that today can supply good clean water to millions of people... The water tastes OK and is of very good quality...Here on Long Island we have ground water which is actually also of very good quality but needs to be monitored more closely because the water coming up from each well can be affected over time from surface contamination... Up until a few years ago most homes had their own wells..The water tasted OK but being that it came from a hundred or so feet below the surface the health quality of the water people were drinking became more and more into question...Today Suffolk County Water Authority supplies the same water but from much deeper wells... The water tastes very good and a report is sent out once a year on each well that reports whatever trace elements are in the water...SCWA has a world class laboratory to test their water and the lab also tests water for many other water supply companies throughout the country...I believe that the water being supplied here is as good as some of the bottled stuff and I drink it and use it for cooking right from the tap... Some years ago from time to time I went to a place in Teterboro New Jersey that was next to the Great Bear Bottled Water Company... They use to supply the five gallon jugs of water for the office water coolers...Anyway behind their building they had large round pools that they would use to aerate the water in by spraying it up in the air in a fine mist and I guess allowing it to fall back into the pool... I guess this would be OK if the place was in the wilderness somewhere but this was located in an industrial park where other things were going on that could contaminate the pools... This really turned me off on bottled water of any sort... Most come from local municipal water supplies anyway and people are relying on the company to condition the water correctly... I just hope they are doing a bit more then spraying it up into the air in a dirty industrial park  :::D
http://www.timesreview.com/_st_html/st03-30-00/stories/news2.htm
http://www.scwa.com/residential/yourdrinkingwater.cfm
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 05:48:15 AM »
Water through reverse-osmosis is the best tasting water I've had.
Its cleaner than by distillation.

Most of the bottled waters have that, but then they screw it up by adding minerals "for taste", which is what I don't want!

The best water is from the water tap, because it is the the cheapest one.  8)

That's mostly what I drink, but I have to flavor it somehow with tea or coffee or something to be able to cover the mineral taste.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 05:59:31 AM »
Thank G-d here in New York we have good water supplies...

I don't mind the city water so much because it's filtered even though it's not as good as distilled. (Thanks for all the info on New York water, it was interesting to read!). The tap water out here in the suburbs isn't as bad as it used to be because we're getting some city water now, but when I first moved here it was all ground water which pretty much tasted like taking a lump of clay and sticking it into your mouth. Gross....

I still don't like tap water though that much.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 06:41:51 AM »
Thank G-d here in New York we have good water supplies...

I don't mind the city water so much because it's filtered even though it's not as good as distilled. (Thanks for all the info on New York water, it was interesting to read!). The tap water out here in the suburbs isn't as bad as it used to be because we're getting some city water now, but when I first moved here it was all ground water which pretty much tasted like taking a lump of clay and sticking it into your mouth. Gross....

I still don't like tap water though that much.
The thing with the city water is that they chlorinate it...It takes a while to get use to it... We were lucky here our old well water actually tasted very good alleged contamination and all...It just became pointless to continue running a well with piped water out in the street.  I was just looking around on SCWA website myself it is an interesting site...The serve the east end of Long Island...  Its a great agency the water is good and very inexpensive...Amazing to find a government agency here that's not out for blood.
Here is the site for the city of New York itself.
New York City Water Board
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nycwaterboard/html/home/home.shtml
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 06:58:47 AM »
Well the chlorine still leaves a little bit of a bad taste but not as much as clay.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 07:34:27 AM »
I was considering using a house reverse osmosis system but I got scared off from various Internet sites warning that these pure water are corrosive, acidic, and devoid of vital minerals, and that they taste bad to top on that. It is possible to add a re-mineralization unit to give back some of the minerals but I also don't fully trust they want put something hazardous inside especially since I know that coca kola's purified water contained carcinogens elements from these added minerals for some time.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 08:46:58 AM »
Zelhar, I think distilled water tastes good, because it has no salty or mineral taste. I'm assuming you could get your minerals from your food.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 09:55:51 AM »
I was considering using a house reverse osmosis system but I got scared off from various Internet sites warning that these pure water are corrosive, acidic, and devoid of vital minerals, and that they taste bad to top on that. It is possible to add a re-mineralization unit to give back some of the minerals but I also don't fully trust they want put something hazardous inside especially since I know that coca kola's purified water contained carcinogens elements from these added minerals for some time.

The coca cola brand bottled water always tasted curiously similar to hose-water.  And it is now well-known that garden hoses release carcinogens into the water they spray out.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 11:06:35 AM »
Ruby,

I think you're ok with distilled water.  I might use a toothpaste with flouride though which is pretty much every toothpaste these days.  I can't think of any trace elements that you get in water that you wouldn't get in a healthy balanced diet.  You might ask your MD about it though.  It's an interesting question

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 11:07:42 AM »
Distilled water lacks necessary minerals such ad fluoride. Better to try
filtered water. But just ceck to see what gets filteted
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 11:39:44 AM »
Soon some company may emerge and start selling the natural minerals for mixing and drinking with the distilled water. Then a second company may come out with other combination claiming better results. The channels will be filled up with their advertisements.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 11:55:10 AM »
you get plenty of minerals from food you eat.
all the minerals + plutonium.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 11:56:19 AM »
Ruby,

I think you're ok with distilled water.  I might use a toothpaste with flouride though which is pretty much every toothpaste these days.  I can't think of any trace elements that you get in water that you wouldn't get in a healthy balanced diet.  You might ask your MD about it though.  It's an interesting question

Thanks JTFE

Dr. Dan I don't mind getting the minerals, I just don't like them in the water. I don't think fluoride has a taste, but other ones do.

you get plenty of minerals from food you eat.
all the minerals + plutonium.

Is it enough plutonium to get me back to 1985?

Soon some company may emerge and start selling the natural minerals for mixing and drinking with the distilled water. Then a second company may come out with other combination claiming better results. The channels will be filled up with their advertisements.

The whole point of distilling is to take the minerals out.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 11:57:24 AM »

Do you need to imbibe fluoride?   For what reason?

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 01:26:54 PM »
Fluoride is important for the prevention of tooth decay.  I think the fluoridation of the water supply has been touted as one of the greatest accomplishments in the United States' history of public health policies.  I remember reading some time ago that fluoride helped in two ways, preventing demineralization of the enamel and also encouraging remineralization of susceptible areas on the teeth that were vulnerable to caries.  Some people are against the fluoridation of water, citing that it cause a disease known as dental fluorosis.  I was told by a dentist that they thought I might have a very mild case of this.   My two front teeth had developed a small area of indentation which I attributed to my grinding or the previous use of whitening.  Anyway, I had to have some composite place on the area because I was experiencing increased sensitivity and I was self-conscious about these two little areas.  I have to say the dentist who is on my plan did a beautiful job. 

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 01:28:53 PM »

Do you need to imbibe fluoride?   For what reason?

I think the answer to that is "no."  The toothpase you use will give you the flouride you need to generate cavity protection for the most part. I think we have several sources of flouridation now.  This is why I told Ruby I thought she would be fine with distilled water.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 01:29:37 PM »
I think any water tastes nasty if you drink enough of it.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2010, 01:32:49 PM »
From what I read, fluorosis might develop unexpectedly and basically disintegrate the entire jaw. I think it is unfair to force the population take this risk even though it is minute. Every individual who uses toothpaste gets all the fluoride he needs.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2010, 01:38:17 PM »
From what I read, fluorosis might develop unexpectedly and basically disintegrate the entire jaw. I think it is unfair to force the population take this risk even though it is minute. Every individual who uses toothpaste gets all the fluoride he needs.

I can't comment on that Zelhar.  I know that if you get osteosarcoma (bone cancer) of the jaw then you will need to have bone removed from your jaw.  I think there was a correlation between osteosarcoma and elevated flouride levels, so you shouldn't be popping flouride pills for any reason that I can think of (which doesnt mean there isnt one), but you are very likely not to get this from the amounts of flouride in water or toothpaste or both combined.  Osteosarcoma tends to affect young people, especially boys, so this wouldn't be an issue as it relates to flouride and the people here as far as I know

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2010, 02:14:05 PM »
You are right, I thought osteosarcoma pretty much is a disease of healthy young males where bones are growing rapidly (meaning extremely rapid osteoblast proliferation). If you stop and think about it, it is kind of dangerous whenever any cells are in a rapid proliferation phase... the temptation for some of them to overstep their boundaries is pretty great.