Author Topic: 60,000 babies born to 'noncitizens' get U.S. birthright - in Texas alone...  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
As Republican members of Congress press for changes to the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, preventing automatic citizenship for babies born to illegal immigrants, opponents insist the debate is not really about babies.
Instead, they say it is about politics and votes – not fixing the immigration system.

Still, the debate could resonate in Texas, where not only 1.5 million illegal immigrants are estimated to reside but at least 60,000 babies are added to their households annually.

Parkland Memorial Hospital delivers more of those babies than any other hospital in the state. Last year at Parkland, 11,071 babies were born to women who were noncitizens, about 74 percent of total deliveries. Most of these women are believed to be in the country illegally.

State Rep. Rafael Anchía, D-Dallas, accused Republicans of using the births to generate an explosive election issue.

"They're pulling the pin on the immigration grenade," he said. "It's all about the November elections and continuing to use the immigration issue as a wedge to win votes this fall."

But to Republicans, the emerging national debate is long overdue, considering that millions of immigrants have been living illegally in this country for years.

"They're violating our law, and we're giving their children the benefit of U.S. citizenship," said state Rep. Leo Berman, R-Tyler, whose 2009 bill in the Legislature would have challenged the birthright of immigrant children.

That bill died in committee, although Berman has vowed to file another version next year that would prohibit the state from issuing birth certificates to the children of "illegal aliens."

"I've checked the Congressional Record for when the 14th Amendment was written, and the author was quoted as saying that it did not apply to foreigners," he said. "There's no question in my mind about it."

Amendment's history

The 14th Amendment was adopted in 1868 as a way to block state laws that prevented former slaves from becoming citizens. It also effectively overruled the Dred Scott decision of 1857 in which the U.S. Supreme Court declared that slaves were mere property and could not become citizens.

The amendment offered a broad definition of citizenship in one simple sentence: "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States."

Donald Kerwin, a vice president of the Migration Policy Institute in Washington, D.C., said he feared that altering the current interpretation of that law "would essentially restore the Dred Scott reasoning and create a hereditary underclass in the United States.

"These children, who didn't break any laws, would have no rights and nowhere to go," he said. "It's a very extreme position."

The effort to reinterpret the 14th Amendment has been talked about for years and been targeted by numerous congressional measures that went nowhere. Last year's unsuccessful Birthright Citizenship Act, which had about 100 co-sponsors in Congress, would have required at least one parent to be a U.S. citizen for a baby to become an American citizen at birth.

The difference in this year's effort to change the 14th Amendment is that prominent Republicans are offering their support and making public statements demanding a national debate of the issue.

Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, called Wednesday for a review of "birthright citizenship," after concluding that illegal immigrants had taken advantage of the post-Civil War constitutional provision.

"We need to have hearings," he said. "We need to consult constitutional scholars and study what the implications are."

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., said he might introduce a constitutional amendment that would repeal the citizenship provision of the amendment.

And both Arizona Republican senators, John McCain and John Kyl, announced that the time was ripe for such a change.

"If both parents are here illegally, should there be a reward for their illegal behavior?" Kyl said recently on a Sunday morning talk show.

Changing the Constitution, however, is not as simple as getting a bill through Congress by majority vote.

Amendments have to be approved by a two-thirds vote in both the Senate and the House of Representatives, then ratified by three-fourths of the state legislatures. It has happened only 27 times in U.S. history, most recently in 1992 in reference to congressional pay increases.

This latest effort would fall far short of tackling the entire Latino population now living illegally in the U.S. – the 11 million to 12 million people, according to estimates by the Pew Hispanic Center – because it would target only the children.

That distinction has drawn an outcry from some, who believe the U.S. should be embracing its growing diversity rather than trying to disenfranchise the youngest elements of it.

"Babies are born without awareness, while other individuals chose to migrate because they want something," said Dr. Jacobo Kupersztoch, an associate professor at Richland College. "If we want to grow and we want to continue to be on the top of the world, we have to continue to integrate these people into our system."

16 percent of births

In Texas, between 60,000 to 65,000 babies achieve U.S. citizenship annually by being born in the state's hospitals, according to a tally released by the state's Health and Human Services Commission. Last year, such births represented almost 16 percent of the total births statewide.

Between 2001 and 2009, births to illegal immigrant women totaled 542,152 in Texas alone.

"The next 10 years will be an even more transformative decade demographically for Texas," said Dr. Roberto Calderon, an associate history professor at the University of North Texas and a Latin American expert following the debate.

He speculated that the Republicans probably were aware of this ongoing demographic shift and how it might threaten their party since Hispanic voters tend to support Democrats.

"Manipulating the status ... the rights and the opportunities for Latinos is the only avenue many on the conservative right see as a solution to remaining viable electorally," he said. "They're expecting what used to be safe Republican seats on the state and federal level will no longer be so safe."

However, Dr. Steve Murdock, a past director of the U.S. Census Bureau, said it would be difficult – even impossible – to turn this demographic tide by targeting the legal status of future births.

"It might slow it down some," he said. "But the idea that the majority of Texas Hispanics are illegal is ludicrous. The vast majority are citizens."

Murdock, previously the state's chief demographer and now a professor at Rice University, said the growth of Hispanics as a group in Texas has more to do with their relatively younger ages than the Anglo majority and their higher birthrates.

"In the last decade in Texas, over 60 percent of the state population increase was due to Hispanics," he said. "The idea that the growth of Hispanics is sudden or happened only in the past few years or only in Texas is not correct."
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/080810dnmetbabies.2be9a7e.html

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
60,000 every year seems like a low estimate

Many "Hispanics" in Texas might be technically legal citizens, but that doesn't mean that they speak English or hold any loyalty to the USA. They side almost always with Mexico.

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
60,000 little murderers are born
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Anybody who believes the 14th Amendment really applies to illegal aliens is on crack. Everybody is taught in grammar school that it is about the CHILDREN OF SLAVES. They shouldn't have gotten citizenship either but gimme a break here, let's get real.

Offline david1967

• Senior JTFer
Great article.  In my opinion, there must be, at least, 50 million illegals in the country.  For the last 10 years, the government has been telling us that there are 12 to 20 million illegals in the country.  If Obama forces an amnesty, and backs it up with his Marxist judges, the floodgates will open.  The Democrats, and some Republican traitors, like Lindsey Graham, support an amnesty law and have rendered ICE and the Department of Homeland Security impotent, in order to increase the number of illegals in the U.S.  In 25 to 50 years, Hispanics will be the majority of the U.S and Spanish will be the first language of the country.  Basically, some politicians have started the U.S on  a road to self-destruction, in order to get more votes for their political party. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 07:45:00 PM by david1967 »

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
Great article.  In my opinion, there must be, at least, 50 million illegals in the country.  For the last 10 years, the government has been telling that there are 12 to 20 million illegals in the country.  If Obama forces an amnesty, and backs it up with his Masrxist judges, the floodgates will open.  The Democrats, and some Republican traitors, like Lindsey Graham, support an amnest law and have rendered ICE and the Department of Homeland Security impotent, in order to increase the number of illegals in the U.S.  In 25 to 50 years, Hispanics will be the majority of the U.S and Spanish will be the first language of the country.  Basically, some politicians have started the U.S on  a road to self-destruction, in order to get more votes for their political party. 
Great Point!
Let's just hope the Tea Parties across the country will have the effect we're looking for this November, I hope the people will show up to the polls and take this country back!

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
Tea Parties are impotent. I went to one and all they did was worship blacks the whole time.

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
Tea Parties are impotent. I went to one and all they did was worship blacks the whole time.
Where was this?! That surly sounds like a perversion of the core principles.
There must be quasi groups that is trying to minimize the effect of the Real Grass Roots Movement

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
Where was this?! That surly sounds like a perversion of the core principles.
There must be quasi groups that is trying to minimize the effect of the Real Grass Roots Movement

They said a lot of good stuff but they kept interspersing it with how much they wanted blacks to join, how much they weren't racist, etc. and they had a black preacher speaking named Apostle Claver who praised Mandela and Martin Luther King. They were falling over themselves so much to prove they weren't racist that they ended up praising those racists.

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
Re:  "Tea Parties are impotent. I went to one and all they did was worship blacks the whole time. "

I went to one and all they did was sit in a circle and smoke Texas Tea all night long!

In the final analysis, who is a leader not only uncompromising in their insistence on restoring Constitutional government, but also equally charismatic as Obama?

Answer:  There is none.

Palin doesn't come close, and Michelle Bachman has everything right except the ability to mesmerize and sway crowds.

It's going to take another "Ronald Reagan" to defeat Obama, because he and the Dems are going to pull some sneaky tricks to make everyone forget and forgive right before the next elections.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
You're right. We need someone with both integrity and charisma.

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb

But not Obama.

He has both, but he has no morals.

Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member

But not Obama.

Obviously not Obama. Reagan wouldn't help in this situation either, with his pro-Amnesty BS.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Unfortunately most people have the perception that birthright citizenship is "as American as apple pie". I don't really see most Americans getting behind a push to end it.

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
Obama charismatic? Please...

All illegals should be sterilized. Just like all muslims and communists.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member

I think everyone on welfare should be on birth control, but good luck passing that one.

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb

But not Obama.

Obviously not Obama. Reagan wouldn't help in this situation either, with his pro-Amnesty BS.

True. We have no honest people in politics anymore. They all suck.
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
I think everyone on welfare should be on birth control, but good luck passing that one.
The problem is that most Americans on the right (and I mean the real right, not Nazis) have "morals" and "values" and would be morally outraged by that, just like most Israelis would be morally outraged at kicking all the Arabs out without compensation.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
The problem is that most Americans on the right (and I mean the real right, not Nazis) have "morals" and "values" and would be morally outraged by that, just like most Israelis would be morally outraged at kicking all the Arabs out without compensation.

Explain to me why that is morally outrageous? If you're on the real right then doesn't that mean people shouldn't have a bunch of kids when they're on the government teat?

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
You know what I mean. Conservatives have been brainwashed to be "the nice guy" for generations upon generations.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
You know what I mean. Conservatives have been brainwashed to be "the nice guy" for generations upon generations.
Americans need to learn that there is a limit to how nice and compassionate they can allow themselves to be... People from other countries not raised with that mind set start to view Americans as schmucks.   
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
Americans need to learn that there is a limit to how nice and compassionate they can allow themselves to be... People from other countries not raised with that mind set start to view Americans as schmucks.   
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer

There's another problem with that. If you institute a policy of sterilizing illegals, muslims, communists, and welfare recipients when you're in power, don't be surprised if your opponents institute a policy of sterilizing their "enemies" when they regain power. Especially since one of their enemies may be you.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson