Author Topic: NYC water is not Kosher.  (Read 758 times)

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
NYC water is not Kosher.
« on: August 31, 2010, 07:02:57 PM »
   It looks like some people are saying it is not. The big challenge is to find water that is free of all organisms. This eliminates bottled water which may come from virtually any source. Even lab purified water is not perfectly clean under a microscope.
   Personally, I would think turning the water faucet on Shabbat is a bigger ovoda because it usually runs an electric meter. Opening a running fridge or apartment with an air conditioner causes the compressors to work harder. The big question is where do you draw the line? Here is the link to the article.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/08/31/drink-up-nyc-meet-the-tiny-crustaceans-not-kosher-in-your-tap-water/?hpt=C2

Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: NYC water is not Kosher.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 07:51:46 PM »
   It looks like some people are saying it is not. The big challenge is to find water that is free of all organisms. This eliminates bottled water which may come from virtually any source. Even lab purified water is not perfectly clean under a microscope.
   Personally, I would think turning the water faucet on Shabbat is a bigger ovoda because it usually runs an electric meter. Opening a running fridge or apartment with an air conditioner causes the compressors to work harder. The big question is where do you draw the line? Here is the link to the article.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/08/31/drink-up-nyc-meet-the-tiny-crustaceans-not-kosher-in-your-tap-water/?hpt=C2

Honestly its almost impossible to find water that doesn't have something or another in it... Sometimes too much information like this is a bad thing.... Would simply filtering the water and removing the organism suffice in making the water kosher? As far as the city water meters go unless something has changed in the past few years they are strictly mechanical.... Even the little sensor that allows the meter reader to take the reading from outside the house is fiber optic so turning on the cold tap water should not involve the use of electricity...
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Nekama

• Full JTFer
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 09:22:08 PM »
This is absurd.  The Halacha is that if you cannot see the micro organism with the naked eye their is no Kasharuth issue.  In my humble opinion, this is the problem with many observant Jews today, and I speak as an observant Jew.  Too much focus on irrelevant minutia that the big picture is missed!!!!

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 11:39:56 PM »

No, the only problem with organisms is if they are visible organisms - visible to the naked eye.

There was a problem at one time with something called copepods - or something like that.  These little crustacean type things and you could see them with the naked eye.  Kosher or not, it looked really disgusting.

Personally, I would think turning the water faucet on Shabbat is a bigger ovoda because it usually runs an electric meter. 

I don't think any of the deciders of Jewish law ever considered the faucet use as a potential problem in Jewish law, but I'm not an expert there.

Opening a running fridge or apartment with an air conditioner causes the compressors to work harder. The big question is where do you draw the line? Here is the link to the article.

However, I do know that Rav Shlomo Zalman Auerbach wrote a 30-page teshuva (halachic responsa) about opening the refridgerator on Shabbat, where in the end he permits it.   My rabbi in yeshiva told me about this teshuva which he himself had learned.   (I think he said 30 pages.  It was substantial, I do remember that!)   These things are not decided on a whim.  But when you start seeing floaters in your water... that's kind of a no-brainer :)

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 12:52:57 AM »
a simple 10 dollar filter should take that out of the water then you can boil the water I would that would do the trick. But I'd consult your local orthodox rabbi.
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh