Author Topic: Message for Yom Kippur  (Read 2932 times)

Offline Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
Message for Yom Kippur
« on: September 17, 2010, 02:14:59 PM »
בס''ד

I wish all of our Jewish members a meaningful and easy fast, and may you be inscribed in the book of life.

This time of year we are required to ask: if I did anything wrong to anyone or hurt anyone unfairly, please forgive me.

Offline Muck DeFuslims

• Master JTFer
Re: Message for Yom Kippur
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 02:46:39 PM »
Thank you, Chaim.

I wish the same for you and all the wonderful members of this forum.

I don't think I'm going to fast and I've done plenty of wrong, so it'll be a miracle if I make the book of life for yet another year.

May we all derive some meaningful insights into becoming better people from our introspection and our prayers for atonement be answered.

Best to all.

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 02:50:20 PM »
Thank you Chaim , I as well.

Offline TruthSpreader

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 03:52:44 PM »
Thank you, brother Chaim!
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 10:31:19 PM »
Thank you, Chaim.

I don't think I'm going to fast and I've done plenty of wrong, so it'll be a miracle if I make the book of life for yet another year.

May we all derive some meaningful insights into becoming better people from our introspection and our prayers for atonement be answered.

Best to all.

Are you Jewish? What kind of Jew doesn't fast on Yom Kippur? I hope you are not Jewish...

A Jew who seperates himself from his community is not a good Jew. Im sorry if it sounds harsh but Yom Kippur is THE MOST IMPORTANT day for Jews all around the world... To not join in the communal fast is effectively causing your soul to be cut off from the Jewish people..

Shame on you if you are Jewish, your about as Jewish as a ham sandwich...

PS: I am sorry about this already...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 11:14:17 PM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Muck DeFuslims

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 12:01:43 AM »
Yes, I am Jewish.

I'm not observant. I don't keep kosher or observe Shabbat.

I realize I'm a horrible Jew by your standards or Torah standards.

Nevertheless, I am a Jew.

Maybe by birthright only, but I am still a Jew.

Sorry if my failure to fast on Yom Kippur upsets you. You'll probably be even more disappointed to know I am a Cohaine.

I probably should fast on Yom Kippur, but in all honesty I feel it's hypocritical since I'm not observant the rest of the year.

Perhaps my soul isn't as connected to the Jewish people as strongly as yours is, Muman. My failure to adhere to Torah standards would be indicative of that. Still, I consider myself a Jew and have a great love for my heritage and the Jewish people.

Even if some of them consider me as Jewish as a ham sandwich.

You shouldn't be sorry for what you said. I realize it wasn't truly mean spirited, and that you just want me to be a better Jew.

I hope you had an easy fast and that your prayers for atonement and the well being of Israel and the Jewish people will be answered.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 01:49:30 AM »
Yes, I am Jewish.

I'm not observant. I don't keep kosher or observe Shabbat.

I realize I'm a horrible Jew by your standards or Torah standards.

Nevertheless, I am a Jew.

Maybe by birthright only, but I am still a Jew.

Sorry if my failure to fast on Yom Kippur upsets you. You'll probably be even more disappointed to know I am a Cohaine.

I probably should fast on Yom Kippur, but in all honesty I feel it's hypocritical since I'm not observant the rest of the year.

Perhaps my soul isn't as connected to the Jewish people as strongly as yours is, Muman. My failure to adhere to Torah standards would be indicative of that. Still, I consider myself a Jew and have a great love for my heritage and the Jewish people.

Even if some of them consider me as Jewish as a ham sandwich.

You shouldn't be sorry for what you said. I realize it wasn't truly mean spirited, and that you just want me to be a better Jew.

I hope you had an easy fast and that your prayers for atonement and the well being of Israel and the Jewish people will be answered.

Muck,

You are a good soul. I am glad you understand  that my unhappiness is due to the situation and not because of you. I do want you to make at least a try to be Jewish, there is something good in the Jewish rituals of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur... Some secular Jews only observe these High Holidays and although that is a small amount of observance compared to many Jews I know, it is still at least an effort to remain part of the Jewish family.

There are so  many Chabads and other places that open their doors to Jews of all levels of observance. I hope that you can find some day that you can attend and realize the need of the Jewish people for people like you.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 06:03:14 AM »
Muck you should give it a try. Next year beezrat hashem
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 06:15:15 AM »
A Jew who seperates himself from his community is not a good Jew.

Muman we have secular Jews on the forum too, and most of Israel are secular Jews. I don't think you should treat them with rudeness. I appreciate the secular Jews that come here to be a part of JTF and I don't want them run off. Why be so rude in public, why not private message so that you're not rebuking him in front of a bunch of Gentiles like me and others here on the forum?

Im sorry if it sounds harsh but Yom Kippur is THE MOST IMPORTANT day for Jews all around the world... To not join in the communal fast is effectively causing your soul to be cut off from the Jewish people..

Muman you have even spoken about how difficult it is for you sometimes to keep all the mitzvot and how you have gradually added them to your life. So why judge someone else like that?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 08:29:07 AM »
Muck, you seem like a good soul.  Even though you don't post here regularly, I always enjoy the posts you do write.  And you have a great way with words, especially with trolls. 

Perhaps you need to find a Synagogue that you're comfortable with, then gradually start observing the mitzvos. 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 10:51:33 AM »
I hope this story which I found on A7 News explains a little bit of the importance of Yom Kippur to the Jewish soul...

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Articles/Article.aspx/9713

From My Very Bones: Yom Kippur
Tishrei 8, 5771, 16 September 10 05:29
by Rabbi Chanan Morrison

(Israelnationalnews.com) We usually speak of the heart rejoicing and praising G-d.

"My heart and my flesh sing out to the living G-d" (Ps. 84:3). Yet we find the psalmist also speaks of his bones exclaiming G-d's praise: "All of my bones will say, 'G-d, Who is like You?'" (Ps. 35:10)

Can bones praise G-d?

Yom Kippur in the Janowska Road Camp

"This particular story is one of those stories that deserves to be published in a book," said the Rabbi of Bluzhov, Rabbi Israel Spiro.

In the Janowska camp there was a Jewish foreman from Lvov by the name of Schneeweiss, one of those people that one stays away from if he values his life.

Yom Kippur was nearing and fears in the camp mounted; everyone knew that the Germans especially liked to use Jewish holidays as days for inflicting terror and  death. Nevertheless, a group of Hasidim asked the Rabbi of Bluzhov to approach Schneeweiss and request that on Yom Kippur his group not be assigned to any of the thirty-nine main categories of work, so that their transgression of the law by working on Yom Kippur would not be a major one.

The rabbi knew that the foreman had little respect for Jewish tradition. Before the war, Schneeweiss had publicly violated the Jewish holidays, and in Janowska, he was a merciless man. Despite his fears, the rabbi agreed to speak with him.

"You probably remember me. I am the Rabbi of Pruchnik, Rabbi Israel Spira." Schneeweiss did not respond. "Tonight is Kol Nidrei night," the rabbi continued. "There is a small group of Jews who do not want to transgress any of the major prohibitions of the day. It means everything to them. It is the essence of their existence. Can you do something about it? Can you help?"

The rabbi noticed a hidden shiver went through Schneeweiss. He took his hand and said, 'I beg you to do this for us so that we may still find some dignity in our humiliating existence.'

The stern face of Schneeweiss changed. For the first time, the rabbi saw in it a human spark. "Tonight I cannot help you," Schneeweiss replied. "But tomorrow, on Yom Kippur, I will do whatever I can."

Even the Transgressors in Israel

The following day, the rabbi and a small group of young Hasidim were summoned to the foreman's cottage. He arranged for them to clean in a way that would not transgress any of the thirty-nine major categories of work.

The rabbi was standing on a ladder with rags in his hand, cleaning the huge windows while chanting prayers, and his companions were on the floor polishing the wood and praying with him. 'The floor was wet with our tears. You can imagine the prayers of that Yom Kippur...'

At about twelve o'clock noon, the door opened wide. Into the room stormed two angels of death, S. S. men in their black uniforms. They were followed by a food cart filled to capacity. The room was filled with the aroma of freshly cooked food, such as they had not seen since the German occupation: white bread, steaming hot vegetable soup, and huge portions of meat.

The tall S. S. soldier commanded, "You must eat immediately or you will be shot on the spot!" No one moved. The rabbi and the Hasidim remained in their places. The German repeated the orders. The Jews remained glued to their places. The S.S. men called in Schneeweiss. "Schneeweiss, if the dirty dogs refuse to eat, I will kill you along with them!"

Schneeweiss pulled himself to attention, looked the German directly in the eyes, and said in a quiet tone, "We Jews do not eat today. Today is Yom Kippur, our most holy day, the Day of Atonement."

"You don't understand, Jewish dog," roared the S. S. soldier. "I command you in the name of the Fuhrer and the Third Reich - fress!"

Schneeweiss, composed, his head high, repeated the same answer. "We Jews obey the law of our tradition. Today is Yom Kippur, a day of fasting."

The German took out his revolver from its holster and pointed it at Schneeweiss's temple. Schneeweiss remained calm. He stood still, at attention, his head high. A shot pierced the room. Schneeweiss fell.

The rabbi and the Hasidim remained frozen in their places, not believing what their eyes had just witnessed. Schneeweiss, the man who in the past had publicly transgressed against Jewish tradition, had sanctified G-d's Name publicly and died a martyr's death for the sake of Jewish honor.

"Only then, on that Yom Kippur day in Janowska," said the rabbi, "did I understand the meaning of the statement in the Talmud: 'Even the transgressors in Israel are as full of good deeds as a pomegranate is filled with seeds' (Berachot 57a)."

Even the Bones

There are inner powers of the soul that are ordinarily not felt. They are only awakened at special times, in times of need. These powers may be compared to our bones. Unlike the flesh, which is more sensitive, our bones do not seem to be so 'alive.'
Nonetheless, bones are a basic part of our bodies. They break when we are injured, and they mend when we are healed.
When we sanctify our soul, we reveal our hidden light. And all of our inner powers are revealed - even those spiritual resources that are usually hidden. This then is the intent of the verse. Deep down, even our bones, even our hidden powers, will express our wonder, 'G-d, who is like You?'

(Adapted from Olat Re'iyah vol. II, p. 97. Story condensed from Hasidic Tales of the Holocaust by Jaffa Eliach, pp. 180-184.)
w

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 10:57:50 AM »
Thank you, Chaim.

Best to all.

You are still a Jew. A Jew is always a Jew, no matter what he does, as a Gentile is always a Noahide even if he violates all the Noahide Laws. But what about the spiritual consequences?
Do repent if you really ate on Kippur, right now!!!, and commit yourself (not vow) that you shall never violate the fast again.
Each mitzvah is a separate mitzvah, and there's nothing wrong with fasting on Kippur, even if you don't keep the other mitzvot. It's not hypocrisy. Even the Reform Jews, who keep very few mitzvot and with a lot of lenience, do require fasting that day.
Now, think. You probably work everyday to earn your living, you probably obey harsh secular laws, you'd probably join the army of your country if required, even risking your own life (perhaps just for vanity and honour of human made nationalism)... H" asks you to refrain from eating and drinking for only 25 hours in a year, and you refuse?

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 12:01:03 PM »
Thank you, Chaim.

Best to all.

When you do a mizvah in Israel it has bigger weight then when you do it outside of Israel same goes for a sin. So the obvious question is should a non religous Jew move to Israel. The answer is should you deny they the mitzvah of living in Israel. What can we learn from this every mitzvah has weight. Try eating at a Kosher Resturant every once in a while. Go to a JCC and hang around some Jews. Who knows you may meet a nice Jewish girl and she will be a shining example for how you want to live you life in the future. There is and should not be any pressure on you just please for the sake of Am Yisroel (The Nation of Israel) give this some tought.
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline AsheDina

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 12:57:50 PM »
WATCH:

As you all know, I def. did not grow up religious, more spiritual. 

BUT, I grew up with G-d and love G-d, will continue to love G-d, creator, maker of heaven and earth, love my fellow brethren, and love my Christian and gentile friends.  I also ask  that G-d would have mercy for many of my offenses toward people here, in life, etc. And that you would all please forgive my short temper.

SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 01:10:23 PM »
Shalom AsheDina,

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Now it is time to think about Sukkot!!!

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 02:11:13 PM »
A Jew who seperates himself from his community is not a good Jew.

Muman we have secular Jews on the forum too, and most of Israel are secular Jews. I don't think you should treat them with rudeness. I appreciate the secular Jews that come here to be a part of JTF and I don't want them run off. Why be so rude in public, why not private message so that you're not rebuking him in front of a bunch of Gentiles like me and others here on the forum?

Im sorry if it sounds harsh but Yom Kippur is THE MOST IMPORTANT day for Jews all around the world... To not join in the communal fast is effectively causing your soul to be cut off from the Jewish people..

Muman you have even spoken about how difficult it is for you sometimes to keep all the mitzvot and how you have gradually added them to your life. So why judge someone else like that?

I agree, it's absolutely rude behavior, and totally uncalled for, especially in such a public manner on the forum. 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 03:01:05 PM »
The importance of Yom Kippur to a Jew is unquestionable. I am sorry that I was so harsh in what I said, but I still believe that a Jew should at least connect on this one day, the day of forgiveness and atonement.

My words go to all Jews who did not observe the day. But it does not come out of anger, only out of love for the Jewish people.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 03:39:55 PM »
Shalom AsheDina,

Helped build one today :)
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Secularbeliever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 03:45:57 PM »
The importance of Yom Kippur to a Jew is unquestionable. I am sorry that I was so harsh in what I said, but I still believe that a Jew should at least connect on this one day, the day of forgiveness and atonement.

My words go to all Jews who did not observe the day. But it does not come out of anger, only out of love for the Jewish people.
I agree, I fasted and spent a lot of time at Synagogue.  One thing that struck me was that many of the prayers dealt with forgiveness and G-d's forgiveness.  It made me wonder if we are sometimes too negative and harsh here.
We all need to pray for Barack Obama, may the Lord provide him a safe move back to Chicago in January 2,013.

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 03:51:38 PM »

You were out of bounds, you've answered me like that before, and other people as well.   I think you wrote that  you are 47 or 48 years old.  You should know better by now.   I would leave the forum if everyone on here answered  like that.

Offline AsheDina

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 04:54:34 PM »
Shalom AsheDina,

I get the goosebumps with the Aaron-Priestly blessing on that Y.T.
My very first Sukkot, I was handed broken bread from a fellow Jewish brother. Sweet man.  I dont know why, when he handed it to me- but I cried like crazy, it touched me so much.

For ya all, which u probably know: 
The Festival of Sukkot -(The Feast of Tabernacles) begins on the fifth day after Yom Kippur, I believe---It is  one of the most solemn holidays & one of the most joyous.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 04:59:59 PM »

You were out of bounds, you've answered me like that before, and other people as well.   I think you wrote that  you are 47 or 48 years old.  You should know better by now.   I would leave the forum if everyone on here answered  like that.
Aces,

Let me say once again that I believe observing Yom Kippur is a very important thing for a Jew. Many Jews observe it, and I heard that even Bob Dylan had Yom Kippur this year with Chabad. Virtually every great Jew has observed Yom Kippur at least several times in their lives, and I hope to see more Jews embracing their heritage through Judaism.

Yom Kippur is indeed a time of forgiveness and atonements, and I really feel strange having rebuked so quickly over what seems to be a minor thing. But this year I had an easy fast, and I did not drink at all, and I still had energy to daven with intensity, all day from 9AM till 9PM {with Maariv and Kiddush Levana}... I envisioned that all Jews could be re-united as we were in the days of Sinai, and we could merit the Moshiachs arrival. But after I got home and felt a little let down hearing about a Jew who could have fasted and been a part of the communal experience of Jewish life I felt I had to say something. I said it very strongly without much thought but I quickly felt like I should not judge so quickly, which is why I said I felt sorry about it...

Teshuva is open to all who want to return. I hope only that I can help, and not to push away Jewish souls.

Offline AsheDina

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 05:09:32 PM »
I TRY to get closer and closer to HaShem everyday. I read the Torah, the Tanach ALL the time, I try to do more, because David Ben Moshe was totally closed off to G-d.  I believe that my reading and focusing on his and my Jewish roots, minus the WASP roots I have, he will come closer to G-d all the time. It is VERYYYY important to bring Jewish people back to their roots and heritage. 

Anyway-This is what I do on a daily basis.

I work HARD to bring David closer to his Jewish roots & faith all the time.  As this is happening, my mom, is ALSO getting closer to her roots, and is reading the book of Exodus now, as we speak. 

So, I know that my efforts, personally have NOT been in vain : )

We are working on my grandmothers tree, and I have been showing her why she has a terrible reluctance to G-d- it is because of inquisition. She is so turned off to 'organized' things because it is in her blood.

My mom gets VERYYYY upset with Christians right now, b/c my brother wants to convert her- and she will not have it- so, I gave her Torah, and she is lovin it.  ^-^
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline ✡ Hindu Zionist ॐ

• Master JTFer
  • India- Most pro-Israel country of the world!
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 04:56:31 AM »
בס''ד

This time of year we are required to ask: if I did anything wrong to anyone or hurt anyone unfairly, please forgive me.
what a wonderful message

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 07:02:32 AM »
Muman meant no harm and said what he said out of love to a fellow Jew. Gd willing next year muck will try to fast. Right muck?