Author Topic: Any bodybuilders here? Any advice for getting in shape?  (Read 10481 times)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Any bodybuilders here? Any advice for getting in shape?
« on: September 20, 2010, 05:41:04 PM »
I used to weigh 270 pounds and right now I weigh 190 pounds. I've lost 80 pounds in the past year and I've been maintaining my weight pretty well. I joined a Gym about a month or so ago and I've been primarily focusing on cardio running 4 times a week for 30 minutes and then lifting weights ever 3 days

This is my workout pattern.

Sunday Running 30 minutes

Monday Run 30 minutes and lift weights http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/machine-bench-press
Warm-up: 15 reps. Heavy weight: 4 Sets of 12-10-10-8

Wednesday Running 30 minutes

Thursday Run 30 minutes and lift weights
http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/ez-bar-curl
Warm-up: 15 reps. Heavy weight: 4 sets - 12-10-10-8

And I mix it up sometimes, this is another one I do

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/wide-grip-lat-pulldown
Warm-up: 15 reps. Heavy weight: 4 sets - 12-10-10-8

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/triceps-pushdown-v-bar-attachment
Heavy weight: 4 sets - 12-10-10-8

Diet

Eat oatmeal in the morning
eat a apple or boiled eggs on way to work, someone told me I shouldn't eat the yolk because of cholesterol

tuna sandwich for lunch on wheat bread with another apple or peach

eat some sort of fruit in between about 6 times a day and primarily eating chicken for lunch or dinner or salmon

I been also drinking water bottles 6 times a day.

Anything else I should be doing?

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
Re: Any bodybuilders here? Any advice for getting in shape?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 06:29:58 PM »
Eat oatmeal in the morning
eat a apple or boiled eggs on way to work, someone told me I shouldn't eat the yolk because of cholesterol

tuna sandwich for lunch on wheat bread with another apple or peach

eat some sort of fruit in between about 6 times a day and primarily eating chicken for lunch or dinner or salmon

I been also drinking water bottles 6 times a day.

Anything else I should be doing?

Yes, egg yolks are bad because of cholesterol.  Dan is right, you need more vegetables including salads.  Good job on the water [just don't drink too much of it with food because it can dilute digestive juices; sometimes your body needs to focus on nutrient assimilation and digestion and other times hydration but its hard to do both at the same time.  I have been told just a few cups of water during meals is ideal and more in between.].

To me it looks like you need to eat more protein.  This diet would be great for someone who is not trying to put on mass and muscle, but I don't think you are getting enough grams of protein for the size you are if you are going to be working out, nor for the size you are trying to achieve [if you are trying to put on mass you should consume 1 gram of protein for every pound you currently weigh.  You may find yourself needing even more protein, up to 2 grams per pound.].  It is hard to consume enough protein on a regular diet alone, you could always start taking some protein supplements, I take a soy based one myself.  My brother usually takes whey based protein.  Protein should eaten by spacing it out around the day, not just all in one lump.

I have never been a bodybuilder, but for most of my life I have been active in the gym, and I have been trained a few times by bodybuilders who I have been friends with.  I am sure if you Googled bodybuilding you would come across a forum or two with people very focused on the subject who could give superior advice.

I really should get back into the gym myself.
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 06:40:32 PM »
Sub the egg with a protein bar.. You need those before your work out so  you don't drain yourself.  Break down the days of the week for the kind of work outs you do. Also eat lean beef .. It will be well needed for you to help rebuild your calorie intake when you do work out.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline TheCoon

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 06:42:23 PM »
My advice is get 3 days of weight training in your week working each body part once a week. Life to failure or close to it as much as possible because it gets the best response from your body. I try and do 10 reps before I know for next week to up the weight. For instance one of my days looks like:

Biceps/Triceps/Quadriceps
2x Bar Curl
2x Lying Bar Extension
2x Squats
2x Dumbell Curl
2x Cable Pushdowns
2x Leg Extensions

Every other non-weight day I do HIIT cardio which involves a short warmup and then for every minute I do 35 seconds jogging and 25 seconds hard running and I keep repeating this until I'm too tired. It's great for boosting metabolism for the day.

I don't personally like huge volume as you are doing simply because a lot of the sets end up wasted time in the gym. It's like your body has no reason to improve if you aren't lifting your hardest. I'm currently dieting off fat right now and this has helped me keep my strength even with low calories.

Your diet looks good, though as Dan said try and get more vegetables in. Eating vegetables is great because they tend to be extremely high in vitamins, low in calories and they fill you up, preventing hunger. I disagree with Ari in that egg yolks are the most complete protein in nature pretty much. Obviously don't eat it every day but eggs are fine for you. If you want to get into hard bodybuilding you will need to up your calorie intake considerably. Try and get 1.5-2g of protein per body weight, though you can easily see gains eating less. A good calorie base is take your bodyweight in pounds and multiply it by 20. So if you weigh 190 you're looking at around 3800 cals to gain muscle quickly. Obviously the better you eat(ie: low junk), the less fat you will gain while bulking up. Protein powders or weight gain supplements help and are almost necessary when you start getting around 180+lbs simply because it's hard to eat that much food.
The city isn't what it used to be. It all happened so fast. Everything went to crap. It's like... everyone's sense of morals just disappeared. Bad economy made things worse. Jobs started drying up, then the stores had to shut down. Then a black man was elected president. He was supposed to change things. He didn't. More and more people turned to crime and violence... The town becomes gripped with fear. Dark times, dark times... I am the hero this town needs. I am... The Coon!!!

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 06:45:39 PM »
Hey White, are you trying to build yourself to have lean, definition or bulk muscle mass? This can also help out to know your weekly build up also in nutrition and your work outs.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 08:08:19 PM »
(I'm not a body builder but I work out.)

Your workout routine looks pretty good except I don't see any abdominal exercises.  Situps are good for this, and sometimes gyms have special benches for situps where you can change the incline and make the situps harder.  If you still want to lose weight you could add another day of running or increase the time on your run.

Your diet looks pretty impressive except I don't see any vegetables.  Maybe put lettuce and tomato on one of your sandwiches and eat a small can of vegetables with your dinner.

I forgot to add that part, I do eat a lot of vegetables, mainly for dinner though or on my sandwich (lettuce/tomato), I eat green beans for dinner, potato, brocolli, pea pods, beansprouts, rice, etc. for dinner.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 08:11:20 PM »
Hey White, are you trying to build yourself to have lean, definition or bulk muscle mass? This can also help out to know your weekly build up also in nutrition and your work outs.

bulk muscle mass.

also i'm about 6ft tall, forgot to add that on the profile, according to the gym, i'm at good weight and they mainly want me to focus on cardio and lifting weights, but I can do some stomach exercises as well, I will probably mix it up. Maybe add an additional day of working out.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 09:33:38 PM »
Eggs are a good source of protein, including the yolks if you don't eat that many per day.   If you're having more than 1 or 2 per day, then have only 1 or two with yolks and the rest only the egg whites, but if you're only having one egg a day or 2 eggs a day, it's now believed by the doctors (contrary to what used to be said about it) that it's healthy to have that many eggs with yolks and it's not going to cause cholesterol problems as long as the rest of your diet is good (which it does look pretty good) and you're not chowing down lots of unhealthy food aside from that.     It is outdated medical and health knowledge that people are citing by saying not to eat the egg yolks ever.   Especially if you are exercising and lifting weights, you need the protein for building up muscle that you break down in the workouts, you need to replace calories you are burning, and the body does need some cholesterol, it's a prime component of the cell membrane and has many important functions.   The egg with yolk has a better protein index than egg whites, and it's also more total grams of protein when eating the egg with yolk.   So if it's 1 per day or 2 per day for breakfast etc, it's really not worth it IMO to have only egg whites.  I only occasionally have egg whites without the yolks when I'm lifting weights a lot and eating lots of eggs (ie, I'm really hungry and need to recover from a big workout(s) I'll beat two eggs (with yolks), then throw in 2 more just egg-whites (without yolks) so it's 4 eggs total but only 2 yolks.    But most of the time I'm having 2 eggs or less, it's with yolks.

Just so you know I'm not a doctor and not advising a treatment, but I believe this is the updated health knowledge on this subject.

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 09:44:47 PM »
Very interesting to hear what you have to say on eggs/egg yolks KWRBT.

White Israelite, another good source of protein is cottage cheese, I just remembered to say that now.  Kosher certification is required [if the brand "Knudsen" is available they are certified.].

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 09:48:39 PM »
Eggs are a good source of protein, including the yolks if you don't eat that many per day.   If you're having more than 1 or 2 per day, then have only 1 or two with yolks and the rest only the egg whites, but if you're only having one egg a day or 2 eggs a day, it's now believed by the doctors (contrary to what used to be said about it) that it's healthy to have that many eggs with yolks and it's not going to cause cholesterol problems as long as the rest of your diet is good (which it does look pretty good) and you're not chowing down lots of unhealthy food aside from that.     It is outdated medical and health knowledge that people are citing by saying not to eat the egg yolks ever.   Especially if you are exercising and lifting weights, you need the protein for building up muscle that you break down in the workouts, you need to replace calories you are burning, and the body does need some cholesterol, it's a prime component of the cell membrane and has many important functions.   The egg with yolk has a better protein index than egg whites, and it's also more total grams of protein when eating the egg with yolk.   So if it's 1 per day or 2 per day for breakfast etc, it's really not worth it IMO to have only egg whites.  I only occasionally have egg whites without the yolks when I'm lifting weights a lot and eating lots of eggs (ie, I'm really hungry and need to recover from a big workout(s) I'll beat two eggs (with yolks), then throw in 2 more just egg-whites (without yolks) so it's 4 eggs total but only 2 yolks.    But most of the time I'm having 2 eggs or less, it's with yolks.

Just so you know I'm not a doctor and not advising a treatment, but I believe this is the updated health knowledge on this subject.

Those studies they did on whole eggs raising cholesterol levels were done on powdered eggs, not the real ones.

Offline americankahanist

• Full JTFer
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 09:51:52 PM »
I am a body builder, but before I can give an advice, I have to know your age.  Your age makes a big difference in muscle recovery.  Also, how is your heart and blood pressure?
David Ben Moshe

Offline TheCoon

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 09:53:30 PM »
You don't need to do cardio when bulking. It can actually run contrary depending how your caloric surplus looks. It's still good to do however for other benefits.
The city isn't what it used to be. It all happened so fast. Everything went to crap. It's like... everyone's sense of morals just disappeared. Bad economy made things worse. Jobs started drying up, then the stores had to shut down. Then a black man was elected president. He was supposed to change things. He didn't. More and more people turned to crime and violence... The town becomes gripped with fear. Dark times, dark times... I am the hero this town needs. I am... The Coon!!!

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 09:54:48 PM »
Well I do have 1 egg a week for the protein, my cholesterol is very normal.. you need the protein factor if you are into building,, i have 1 egg just 1 a week, and 2 protein bars a day .. maybe fish, chicken or lean beef at night and a lot of fruits or veggies.. the fruits also help replenish the waters in your body that your body needs.   White take with you raw nuts like almonds with you .. not peanuts they have more fat in their oils.  Almonds or seeds like say sunflower or soybean nut is a good on the go food for you ..Eat a table spoon of low fat peanut butter a day too

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 09:57:53 PM »
Re:  "tuna sandwich for lunch "

So good!  And so tasty~!

I eat a good tuna meal every day down at the Y.

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 10:00:19 PM »
I don't like tuna too much or any meat or fish that comes from cans..  I will get low salt turkey grill it up and with 7grain for a lunch.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 10:17:56 PM »
I am a body builder, but before I can give an advice, I have to know your age.  Your age makes a big difference in muscle recovery.  Also, how is your heart and blood pressure?
David Ben Moshe

I am 24 years old, my heart is fine, blood pressure is not exactly high, but definitely a little higher than should be.

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 12:14:30 AM »
Eggs have gotten a bad rap over the last few decades. Deemed bad for the heart by health experts, they have been the subjects of criticism and scrutiny. But are our white (sometimes brown) friends really that unhealthy for us? In the last few years, numerous health organizations have been vindicating eggs' reputation. So what are we to believe; why were eggs chastised, only to be acclaimed again?
old egg myths
It was previously thought that eggs raised blood cholesterol levels -- one of the main causes of heart disease. The yolk in a single large egg contains five grams of fat, so it was only natural for nutritionists to assume that eggs clogged up people's arteries, especially since they also contain dietary cholesterol .

Another myth was that cholesterol is fat. That is simply not true. Cholesterol is a waxy substance that resembles fat, but has little to do with it. Today, scientists know that cholesterol content in food and the cholesterol in our blood aren't as directly related as once thought. So to unravel the mystery that is the egg, one must look at cholesterol.
cholesterol
First, one has to understand that cholesterol is not necessarily bad. Humans need it to maintain cell walls, insulate nerve fibers and produced vitamin D, among other things. Second, there are two types of cholesterol: dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol . Both are important.

Dietary cholesterol is found in certain foods, such as meat, poultry, seafood, eggs, and diary products. The second type (blood cholesterol, also called serum cholesterol) is produced in the liver and floats around in our bloodstream. Blood cholesterol is divided into two sub-categories: High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL), and Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL). LDL cholesterol is considered bad because it sticks to artery walls.

What is bad, however, is the amount of LDL blood cholesterol in the body. Too much of it can cause heart problems, but scientists are now discovering that consuming food rich in dietary cholesterol does not increase blood cholesterol. At least that is what some experts believe (they are somewhat disagreeing on the matter... as usual).

Evidence showing that eating a lot of dietary cholesterol doesn't increase blood cholesterol was discovered during a statistical analysis conducted over 25 years by Dr. Wanda Howell and colleagues at the University of Arizona. The study revealed that people who consume two eggs each day with low-fat diets do not show signs of increased blood cholesterol levels.

So what does raise blood cholesterol? One of the main theories is that saturated fat does. Of the three types of fat (saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated), saturated fat raises blood cholesterol and LDL levels. It so happens that eggs contain mostly polyunsaturated fat, which can actually lower blood cholesterol if one replaces food containing saturated fat with eggs.

If you're a bodybuilder, you need eggs.

Delicious, Nutritious
Eggs are actually quite nutritious. They are not just fat (yolk) and protein (white). In fact, they contain a wide array of essential vitamins and minerals. Here is what's in an egg...

Vitamins
A: good for the skin and growth.
D: strengthens bones by raising calcium absorption.
E: protects cells from oxidation.
B1: helps properly release energy from carbohydrates.
B2: helps release energy from protein and fat.
B6: promotes the metabolism of protein.
B12: an essential vitamin in the formation of nerve fibers and blood cells.

Minerals
Iron: essential in the creation of red blood cells.
Zinc: good for enzyme stability and essential in sexual maturation.
Calcium: most important mineral in the strengthening of bones and teeth.
Iodine: controls thyroid hormones.
Selenium: like vitamin E, it protects cells from oxidation.
best type of protein
If that wasn't enough, egg whites contain the purest form of protein found in whole-foods. It is so high that nutritionists use them as the standard when comparing other whole-food proteins. Their "biological value" -- a measurement used to determine how efficiently a protein is used for growth -- is 93.7. Milk, fish, beef, and rice respectively have a bio value of 84.5, 76, 74.3, and 64.

The higher the value, the better the protein is absorbed. This is why many bodybuilders include eggs in their diet. When a person eats beef, for instance, all of the protein is not necessarily absorbed and used to rebuild tissue.

Protein is a complex substance, which is why bodybuilding protein supplement makers are constantly trying to refine the quality of their product and why some protein shake brands boast that their protein is made from egg whites. Having said that, each large egg contains 6.3 grams of protein.
how to eat eggs
Experts advise that despite being low in saturated fat, one should not eat more than two eggs a day on a low-fat diet. Egg yolk is mainly fat, so even though it doesn't raise blood cholesterol levels, it can cause other problems if abused.

Contaminated eggs kill up to 5000 individuals each year. One egg in 10,000 is contaminated with salmonella, so you should never eat undercooked eggs, make eggnog on your own or mimic Rocky by swallowing them raw.

The proper way to cook eggs depends on the type of food served. The American Egg Board advises that grills should never be set higher than 250F. Anything above that will leave the interior raw while burning the outside. If an egg has runny parts, it means it is still not cooked properly.
mmm, mmm, eggs
So now you know the truth about the incredible, edible egg. Once a foe, now a friend, this mighty whole-food contains many great nutrients and isn't as bad as people once thought. A great source of protein and easy to prepare, eggs are nature's golden food... if you don't eat too much of them, that is.

Resources:
http://www.sysco.com/building/bp_sp98_p10.html
http://www.aeb.org/food/eggs-health.html
http://www.nutritionandeggs.co.uk/eggs_nutrition/nutrition2.html

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 02:12:31 AM »
  What do you guys think of the role of milk in keeping fit and putting on muscle?  Sometimes I get an earful from people who say that milk [and dairy in general I guess] is unnatural for grown human beings to consume [as it is designed for baby cows], but I think if there is anything in milk that promotes growth that a person who is trying to grow muscle would benefit from it.  Can a person drink too much milk?  I don't consume that much milk but it is something I like [especially w/ Ovaltine or making malted milk for a treat].

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 02:19:45 AM »

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/dairy_products/

"Milk is a deadly poison," according to the Dairy Education Board. In fact, if you peruse this special interest group's Web site, notmilk.com, you'll find dozens of articles about the purported evils of this popular beverage. One claim, for example, is that milk from cows contains cancer-causing hormones and dairy industry dollars have kept that fact bottled up. All of which may leave you second-guessing your next sip.

However, as a nutritionist, I've found that most men thrive on milk, whether their goal is to lose fat or build muscle. So to be sure it's safe, I've investigated all the anti-milk claims, sifting through the research while also turning a critical eye to pro-milk propaganda. After all, the only agenda I have is my clients' health. The result: all your milk questions, answered.

Read more: http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/dairy_products/index.php#ixzz109MYAZet

Is Milk a Fat-Burning Food?
Maybe. In a 6-month study, University of Tennessee researchers found that overweight people who downed three servings a day of calcium-rich dairy lost more belly fat than those who followed a similar diet minus two or more of the dairy servings.

In addition, the researchers discovered that calcium supplements didn't work as well as milk. Why? They believe that while calcium may increase the rate at which your body burns fat, other active compounds in dairy products (such as milk proteins) provide an additional fat-burning effect.

Of course, the key to success is following a weight-loss diet to begin with. After all, downing your dairy with a box of doughnuts is no way to torch your gut.

Does It Build Muscle?
Absolutely. In fact, milk is one of the best muscle foods on the planet. You see, the protein in milk is about 20 percent whey and 80 percent casein. Both are high-quality proteins, but whey is known as a "fast protein" because it's quickly broken down into amino acids and absorbed into the bloodstream. That makes it a very good protein to consume after your workout.

Casein, on the other hand, is digested more slowly. So it's ideal for providing your body with a steady supply of smaller amounts of protein for a longer period of time—like between meals or while you sleep. Since milk provides both, one big glass gives your body an ideal combination of muscle-building proteins.

Do Hormones Make Milk Unhealthy?
Not unless you're injecting the milk. Here's the full story: In 1993 the FDA approved the use of recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH) in cattle. This practice resulted in greater milk production at less cost to the dairy farmer, a savings that has been passed on to you at your local supermarket. But it has also sparked much controversy, because rBGH boosts milk's concentration of insulin-like growth factor (IGF), a hormone that's been linked to cancer.

Unlike steroid hormones, which can be taken orally, rBGH and IGF must be injected to have any effect. That's because the process of digestion destroys these "protein" hormones. So drinking milk from hormone-treated cows doesn't transfer the active form of these chemicals to your body. However, there is one ethical downside to consider: It's not good for the cows. Canadian researchers discovered that cows given hormones are more likely to contract an udder infection called mastitis.

What About Antibiotics?
No one really knows. Some scientists argue that milk from cows given antibiotics leads to antibiotic resistance in humans, making these types of drugs less effective when you take them for an infection. But this finding has never been proved.

If you're uneasy, you can purchase antibiotic-free (and typically hormone-free, as well) milk from specialty grocers, such as Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, or select USDA-certified organic milk, which is available at most supermarkets.

Skim or Whole?
It depends on your taste. While you've probably always been told to drink reduced-fat milk, the majority of scientific studies show that drinking whole milk actually improves cholesterol levels, just not as much as drinking skim does.

One recent exception: Danish researchers found that men who consumed a diet rich in whole milk experienced a slight increase in LDL cholesterol (six points). However, it's worth noting that these men drank six 8-ounce glasses a day, an unusually high amount. Even so, their triglycerides--another marker of heart-disease risk—decreased by 22 percent.

The bottom line: Drinking two to three glasses of milk a day, whether it's skim, 2 percent, or whole, lowers the likelihood of both heart attack and stroke—a finding confirmed by British scientists.

If you're dieting, the lower-fat option is an easy way to save a few calories. When it comes to building muscle, though, whole milk may be your best choice: Scientists at the University of Texas medical branch in Galveston found that drinking whole milk after lifting weights boosted muscle protein synthesis—an indicator of muscle growth—2.8 times more than drinking skim did.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 05:11:25 AM »
Your workout seems pretty good and yes you do need some cardio to burn some fat speed up metabolism and for health in general.As far as protein you should have a good protein/carbo bar before your workout you need the carbo for energy before the workout.Protein is great after the workout.A can and half of tuna has about 45 grams of protein a day.Also take amino acids it helps the protein assimilate in your body.I would do the cardio on the same days as you workout so your body has time to recuperate.You really can only give a person the basics because each body reacts differently.As you workout you'll find out what works best for you.
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline TheCoon

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 08:17:41 AM »
Skim milk is excellent. You get good protein, little carbs and no fat. In terms of something you can drink, there's not much healthier for you. Better to drink a glass of skim milk than fruit juice which is pretty much all wasted calories when you want to cut fat.

If you're serious about gaining muscle, the only thing you will really want to invest in is good protein supplementation unless you can get all you will need from whole foods.

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 10:23:50 AM »
The current "obsession" with bodybuilding, eating only what is low-fat and low-cholesterol, avoiding sugar and tobacco, and working out using modern exercise machines, has given us the healthiest and heartiest generation since the Garden of Eden.

NOT!

Cancer rates, STD's, diabetes, mental illness, autism, child abuse, and violence have skyrocketed higher than ever before in recorded history - far surpassing epidemic level to the point of being "plagues".

And our educational level has dropped to such an extent that what used to be considered demented perverts and diseased back alley whores are now promoted as a great living artists, showered with millions and millions of dollars, and adored by all.

Gangsters and con-men of the type once routinely sentenced to prison are chosen by unseen powers and elected to lead nations; their every move and word followed on CNN, Twitter, and Facebook.

It's enough to make you want to enjoy a good old fashioned balanced American meal followed by a cup of coffee, kick back on the porch outside with a six pack of beer, and enjoy a good tobacco!

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 10:31:34 AM »
The current "obsession" with bodybuilding, eating only what is low-fat and low-cholesterol, avoiding sugar and tobacco, and working out using modern exercise machines, has given us the healthiest and heartiest generation since the Garden of Eden.

NOT!

Cancer rates, STD's, diabetes, mental illness, autism, child abuse, and violence have skyrocketed higher than ever before in recorded history - far surpassing epidemic level to the point of being "plagues".

And our educational level has dropped to such an extent that what used to be considered demented perverts and diseased back alley whores are now promoted as a great living artists, showered with millions and millions of dollars, and adored by all.

Gangsters and con-men of the type once routinely sentenced to prison are chosen by unseen powers and elected to lead nations; their every move and word followed on CNN, Twitter, and Facebook.

It's enough to make you want to enjoy a good old fashioned balanced American meal followed by a cup of coffee, kick back on the porch outside with a six pack of beer, and enjoy a good tobacco!

People who do work out should intake sugars and carbs for that energy.  Nothing is wrong with beer, beer in moderation is actually good for you. As far as diet goes, ya know they change these diets so many times..  I am not saying eat 10 chocolate bars, drink 12 cans of beer a day and eat a whole fried chicken.  But with moderation of anything, before my work out i will eat a protein bar,  replenish fluids in my body with Gatorade, I prefer that over just plain water, it has that fuel your body needs after a work out. Then after a good size dinner but the dinner.  Have dinners around 5pm or 5: 30 to let it digest. 

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 12:20:16 PM »

Does It Build Muscle?
Absolutely. In fact, milk is one of the best muscle foods on the planet. You see, the protein in milk is about 20 percent whey and 80 percent casein. Both are high-quality proteins, but whey is known as a "fast protein" because it's quickly broken down into amino acids and absorbed into the bloodstream. That makes it a very good protein to consume after your workout.

Casein, on the other hand, is digested more slowly. So it's ideal for providing your body with a steady supply of smaller amounts of protein for a longer period of time—like between meals or while you sleep. Since milk provides both, one big glass gives your body an ideal combination of muscle-building proteins.

Great points.  Let's also not forget that calcium levels are critical to building muscle, in addition to the health and strength of bones - which is also important for weight lifting - and milk has a lot of calcium.

Do Hormones Make Milk Unhealthy?
Not unless you're injecting the milk. Here's the full story: In 1993 the FDA approved the use of recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH) in cattle. This practice resulted in greater milk production at less cost to the dairy farmer, a savings that has been passed on to you at your local supermarket. But it has also sparked much controversy, because rBGH boosts milk's concentration of insulin-like growth factor (IGF), a hormone that's been linked to cancer. 

Interestingly, the latest PED suspicions revolve around IGF injections to improve performance.   In Tennis the WADA recently altered their position on this highly controversial doping technique.  Of course, drinking it in milk is not going to have effects like injection, like this article explains.   Or else every tennis coach would be running a dairy farm.   (I think most pro tennis players are juicing/doping in one way or another - especially rafael nadal, serena williams, stosur, and many of the women players).

Skim or Whole?
It depends on your taste. While you've probably always been told to drink reduced-fat milk, the majority of scientific studies show that drinking whole milk actually improves cholesterol levels, just not as much as drinking skim does. 

Personally, I prefer 1% milk.  It's a nice balance between the extremes of whole and skim milk both in terms of fat content and in terms of taste.    Once you have it often enough, you get very accustomed to the taste and other types of milk taste very funny to me, and I can usually spot them on taste without seeing the label!

One recent exception: Danish researchers found that men who consumed a diet rich in whole milk experienced a slight increase in LDL cholesterol (six points). However, it's worth noting that these men drank six 8-ounce glasses a day, an unusually high amount. Even so, their triglycerides--another marker of heart-disease risk—decreased by 22 percent.

The bottom line: Drinking two to three glasses of milk a day, whether it's skim, 2 percent, or whole, lowers the likelihood of both heart attack and stroke—a finding confirmed by British scientists. 

I didn't know this.  That's great!

I really haven't drank as much milk the past few years as I used to, and I was lately thinking about increasing my intake again.

If you're dieting, the lower-fat option is an easy way to save a few calories. When it comes to building muscle, though, whole milk may be your best choice: Scientists at the University of Texas medical branch in Galveston found that drinking whole milk after lifting weights boosted muscle protein synthesis—an indicator of muscle growth—2.8 times more than drinking skim did.

Wow, that's certainly noteworthy.  I wonder how 1% milk would fare.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:58:11 PM by Kahane-Was-Right BT »

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 12:24:52 PM »

If you're serious about gaining muscle, the only thing you will really want to invest in is good protein supplementation unless you can get all you will need from whole foods.

For what it's worth, I gained a lot of muscle (18-20 pounds) and I never used protein powder or protein shakes (or any unnatural drugs or steroids of course - I would never use those).    I significantly changed my body and frame in my early 20's and it had permanent affects, but my muscles have shrunken down since then though, since I stopped lifting weights and stopped going to the gym.   (I also lost a lot of the weight - but my frame is more muscular than before I lifted and muscles are still more toned than before I began - and this is years later).   I need to get back into shape again.

I did eat a few "golean bars" at that time, but not really as a regimen, just occasionally for snacks.   I don't know how much that helped.   I was wary of eating them too often because soy protein increases estrogen levels and that's not good for any man.