Author Topic: Any bodybuilders here? Any advice for getting in shape?  (Read 10468 times)

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Any bodybuilders here? Any advice for getting in shape?
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2013, 01:30:12 PM »
But only twice a day is 4-6 pounds of meat a day. How can you possibly have any room for rice?

pull-ups
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2013, 01:31:26 PM »
But only twice a day is 4-6 pounds of meat a day. How can you possibly have any room for rice?

To be honest, I never actually weighed it. Like half a chicken or two burgers and a half or an 18oz steak/meal

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2013, 07:36:51 PM »
I only eat twice a day. And yeah, just about. I love meat.

I dont eat a lot and abusive laxatives

:o

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2013, 10:06:32 AM »
Glad to see those on JTF who are trying to maintain good health.   Diet, Exercise, and good habits contribute to a healthy body...Walking, bicycling, weight training, and other exercise, tennis, jogging, or swimming also keep a body young.   Fruits and Vegetables as well as whole grain low fat cereals, and some heart healthy breads, green teas, grapejuices, and acai berry juices help the metabolism speed up.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2013, 10:46:59 AM »
Actually, I believe that grains are an enemy of the human body and should not be consumed at all. I don't really want to start a debate about whether or nor people believe that. Suffice it to say that, in my experience, this is the case. The sooner you get off of grains (or at least drastically curtail consumption) the better off you'll be.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2013, 11:23:45 AM »
Everything Bees produce is good for man.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2013, 05:28:22 PM »
Actually, I believe that grains are an enemy of the human body and should not be consumed at all. I don't really want to start a debate about whether or nor people believe that. Suffice it to say that, in my experience, this is the case. The sooner you get off of grains (or at least drastically curtail consumption) the better off you'll be.

Atkins died buddy. Grains give energy. If you just eat fat and meat, you're lazy and can't think. I think that there is an over-consumption today, but you need enough to give you energy.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2013, 06:37:13 PM »
Atkins died buddy. Grains give energy. If you just eat fat and meat, you're lazy and can't think. I think that there is an over-consumption today, but you need enough to give you energy.
Atkins croaked after he fell on an icy sidewalk and split his skull... The guy was also kind of old.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2013, 06:58:33 PM »
Atkins croaked after he fell on an icy sidewalk and split his skull... The guy was also kind of old.

Neither make his diet less stupid. I can eat the challah and then run around the block, and I'm good. The challah won't make you become muscle man. Try running up a hill on a steak and some lettuce, though, and you'll croak. People have been eating wheat a lot longer than you've been around. If you have an oven to make bread yourself, too, it's a trillion times better than the crap you get in the stores, and wheat grains cost nothing (and also flour).

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2013, 09:51:13 PM »
Wasn't he only like 75?

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2013, 06:55:58 AM »

That's great except I never said anything about Atkins or limiting carbs. I said don't eat grains. Eat a lot of vegetables, some fruit, healthy fats, a lot of lean protein and you will have more energy than you know what to do with. If you believe that energy comes from eating bread, rice, and cereal, then by all means go for it.
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2013, 02:10:10 PM »
That's great except I never said anything about Atkins or limiting carbs. I said don't eat grains. Eat a lot of vegetables, some fruit, healthy fats, a lot of lean protein and you will have more energy than you know what to do with. If you believe that energy comes from eating bread, rice, and cereal, then by all means go for it.

Vegetables and fruit won't kee you going a whole day. Protein and fat are only burned after carbs, and it's exhausting when it happens. If you sit down all day and then do a half hour weight lifting, cut the carbs. Do you not believe that bread gives you energy?

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2013, 07:36:33 AM »
Vegetables and fruit won't kee you going a whole day. Protein and fat are only burned after carbs, and it's exhausting when it happens. If you sit down all day and then do a half hour weight lifting, cut the carbs. Do you not believe that bread gives you energy?

Does bread give you energy? Sure. So do doughnuts and 3 tablespoons of sugar. The question is do you want your body to get energy by ingesting food that causes your blood sugar to spike and dip all day long. A dinner roll has a glycemic index over 70. Broccoli has a glycemic index of 15. A dinner roll has roughly the same calories (measure of energy) and carbohydrates as a large stalk of broccoli. The serving size of the broccoli, however, is over 6 times larger by weight than the dinner roll. Couple that with the nutrient content of the broccoli vs the roll (which is next to nothing) and then tell me how you can't get energy from vegetables.

Think of it this way. In my example above, if you apply a tablespoon of mayonnaise to the dinner roll and add 5 oz. of processed meat (cold cuts) you will have a meal with about the same calorie content as sauteing the broccoli in a tablespoon of olive oil and eating it with 5 oz. of chicken or fish or whatever type of meat you prefer. I will tell you, though, that one meal will fill you up, provide a large number of nutrients, not spike your blood sugar or cause your body to produce a massive amount of insulin, and make your brain send you a message to stop eating because you are full. The other will probably leave you wanting some potato chips or dessert to fill you up to satisfaction.
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2013, 06:53:50 PM »
Does bread give you energy? Sure. So do doughnuts and 3 tablespoons of sugar. The question is do you want your body to get energy by ingesting food that causes your blood sugar to spike and dip all day long. A dinner roll has a glycemic index over 70. Broccoli has a glycemic index of 15. A dinner roll has roughly the same calories (measure of energy) and carbohydrates as a large stalk of broccoli. The serving size of the broccoli, however, is over 6 times larger by weight than the dinner roll. Couple that with the nutrient content of the broccoli vs the roll (which is next to nothing) and then tell me how you can't get energy from vegetables.

Think of it this way. In my example above, if you apply a tablespoon of mayonnaise to the dinner roll and add 5 oz. of processed meat (cold cuts) you will have a meal with about the same calorie content as sauteing the broccoli in a tablespoon of olive oil and eating it with 5 oz. of chicken or fish or whatever type of meat you prefer. I will tell you, though, that one meal will fill you up, provide a large number of nutrients, not spike your blood sugar or cause your body to produce a massive amount of insulin, and make your brain send you a message to stop eating because you are full. The other will probably leave you wanting some potato chips or dessert to fill you up to satisfaction.

Doughnuts suck and sugar kills testosterone. I also have no clue what a dinner roll is, I researched it and found this and it sounds like a tubby snack. White bread is useless, anyways. Hemp bread is infinitely better, and comes highly recommended by my mma friend.

Broccoli rocks for sure. I barbeque that and asparagus and zucchini and peppers and [censored] and it's great for you. There are, however, plenty of nutrients in brown bread, (I'm pretty sure the black bread is a jip) so crush up garlic with butter and throw it on the bbq until its garlic bread, and you're doing great with that and some fish or anything with meat in it.

Can you bike for four hours on even a stalk forest of broccoli?

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2013, 05:40:42 AM »
Doughnuts suck and sugar kills testosterone. I also have no clue what a dinner roll is, I researched it and found this and it sounds like a tubby snack. White bread is useless, anyways. Hemp bread is infinitely better, and comes highly recommended by my mma friend.

Broccoli rocks for sure. I barbeque that and asparagus and zucchini and peppers and [censored] and it's great for you. There are, however, plenty of nutrients in brown bread, (I'm pretty sure the black bread is a jip) so crush up garlic with butter and throw it on the bbq until its garlic bread, and you're doing great with that and some fish or anything with meat in it.

Can you bike for four hours on even a stalk forest of broccoli?

Actually, the dinner roll that I used in my example was whole wheat not useless white bread. As for biking 4 hours, as long as you ingest an equal amount of calories of any food, you will have the energy to start your bike trek. You're actually making my point when you ask about 4 hours, though. A high glycemic carbohydrate will give you an initial energy spike followed by an eventual energy dip after time. So the answer to your question is, yes, I can bike for 4 hours if I eat a stalk forest of broccoli, provided the amount yields the required number of calories for a 4 hour bike trek. But I would probably choose to only eat one stalk and plenty of MEAT...mmmm.  ;D
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2013, 12:04:02 PM »
Actually, the dinner roll that I used in my example was whole wheat not useless white bread. As for biking 4 hours, as long as you ingest an equal amount of calories of any food, you will have the energy to start your bike trek. You're actually making my point when you ask about 4 hours, though. A high glycemic carbohydrate will give you an initial energy spike followed by an eventual energy dip after time. So the answer to your question is, yes, I can bike for 4 hours if I eat a stalk forest of broccoli, provided the amount yields the required number of calories for a 4 hour bike trek. But I would probably choose to only eat one stalk and plenty of MEAT...mmmm.  ;D

Fine. I just like to eat fresh baked bread, and I do fine. You eat your brocolli, and I'll put my vegetables in my triple decker manwich. You can eat bread and stay healthy if you work out though.

Also, complex carbs, as found in whole wheat, are not fast acting. Sugars are fast acting because they're simple carbs, or the fatty roll or wtv. At least that's what I heard...

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2013, 07:00:28 AM »
Fine. I just like to eat fresh baked bread, and I do fine. You eat your brocolli, and I'll put my vegetables in my triple decker manwich. You can eat bread and stay healthy if you work out though.

Also, complex carbs, as found in whole wheat, are not fast acting. Sugars are fast acting because they're simple carbs, or the fatty roll or wtv. At least that's what I heard...

As I stated in my original post, I'm not going to try to convince people of something that they don't want to be convinced about. I used to think bread and grains were okay too. My current view is a result of research and first hand experience. Enjoy your whole wheat, complex carbohydrate bread.
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2013, 11:18:49 AM »
As I stated in my original post, I'm not going to try to convince people of something that they don't want to be convinced about. I used to think bread and grains were okay too. My current view is a result of research and first hand experience. Enjoy your whole wheat, complex carbohydrate bread.

Where is your research. I have several doctors in my family, and will be happy to discuss your findings with them. "Something they don't want to be convinced about" wtf bro im not an arab. If you have proof show it, or if you're afraid i'll devour you arguments, then they aren't very good...

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2013, 07:54:12 AM »
Where is your research. I have several doctors in my family, and will be happy to discuss your findings with them. "Something they don't want to be convinced about" wtf bro im not an arab. If you have proof show it, or if you're afraid i'll devour you arguments, then they aren't very good...

Sigh!

Read all you can about the Paleo diet, or I should say way of eating because the word "diet" has a lousy connotation.
Find yourself a doctor who believes that maintaining a healthy body is more important and beneficial than treating a sick one with pharmaceutical drugs.
Stop eating grains and dairy products (for real, no cheating) for a month and see the results.

This is what I did. So...
You can google Paleo and read the first few lines of the info you find and dismiss it.

You can tell me that there's no difference between doctors, they all pretty much know the same thing, although I would argue against that since I've brought up stuff with my primary physician that he had no clue about (this is where you respond that my primary is a bad doctor and I should change him. Actually he is quite open minded about researching and learning and does not suffer from a G-d complex).

And you can tell me the results I've gotten must be from something else and not from eliminating grains and dairy. Trouble is, I didn't do anything else. I chose to do this because of some lingering injuries that were taking way too long to heal and that had all but eliminated my ability to do my workouts. All I did was change what I ate. Didn't change the amount, didn't count calories, or blocks, or points. Didn't starve myself or skip meals. Didn't drink my breakfast or lunch. Just cut out grains and dairy.

So what were my results?

Dropped 15 lbs. in one month.
Lingering aches and pains either went away or were dramatically reduced.
Consistent energy levels throughout the day (no need to provide you with internet links to back this up. I have a glucose meter that I used regularly which never registered readings with greater than a 20 mg/dL fluctuation).

And, just so you have an idea of the food that I'm eating, here's a sample day.
Breakfast: bowl of assorted sauteed vegetables (onions, peppers, broccoli, cabbage, sweet potato) with chicken, grapes.
Lunch: large salad with grilled chicken.
Snack: walnuts.
Dinner: Flounder, zucchini, cauliflower, onions, cantaloupe, raspberries.
Everything is cooked or dressed with extra virgin olive oil. Occasionally I may have a glass of wine (or two) with dinner.

So, please, go ahead and tell me how I am not getting the nutrition and "energy" that I need by not including a few slices of whole wheat bread, a glass of milk, a serving of brown rice and some grated cheese in my diet.
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2013, 02:47:52 PM »
Sigh!

Read all you can about the Paleo diet, or I should say way of eating because the word "diet" has a lousy connotation.
Find yourself a doctor who believes that maintaining a healthy body is more important and beneficial than treating a sick one with pharmaceutical drugs.
Stop eating grains and dairy products (for real, no cheating) for a month and see the results.

This is what I did. So...
You can google Paleo and read the first few lines of the info you find and dismiss it.

You can tell me that there's no difference between doctors, they all pretty much know the same thing, although I would argue against that since I've brought up stuff with my primary physician that he had no clue about (this is where you respond that my primary is a bad doctor and I should change him. Actually he is quite open minded about researching and learning and does not suffer from a G-d complex).

And you can tell me the results I've gotten must be from something else and not from eliminating grains and dairy. Trouble is, I didn't do anything else. I chose to do this because of some lingering injuries that were taking way too long to heal and that had all but eliminated my ability to do my workouts. All I did was change what I ate. Didn't change the amount, didn't count calories, or blocks, or points. Didn't starve myself or skip meals. Didn't drink my breakfast or lunch. Just cut out grains and dairy.

So what were my results?

Dropped 15 lbs. in one month.
Lingering aches and pains either went away or were dramatically reduced.
Consistent energy levels throughout the day (no need to provide you with internet links to back this up. I have a glucose meter that I used regularly which never registered readings with greater than a 20 mg/dL fluctuation).

And, just so you have an idea of the food that I'm eating, here's a sample day.
Breakfast: bowl of assorted sauteed vegetables (onions, peppers, broccoli, cabbage, sweet potato) with chicken, grapes.
Lunch: large salad with grilled chicken.
Snack: walnuts.
Dinner: Flounder, zucchini, cauliflower, onions, cantaloupe, raspberries.
Everything is cooked or dressed with extra virgin olive oil. Occasionally I may have a glass of wine (or two) with dinner.

So, please, go ahead and tell me how I am not getting the nutrition and "energy" that I need by not including a few slices of whole wheat bread, a glass of milk, a serving of brown rice and some grated cheese in my diet.

“Welcome to the original site for the Paleo Diet, your lifelong plan to optimize health and well being."
New York Times Bestselling Author

Loren Cordain, Ph.D., the world’s leading expert on Paleolithic diets and founder of the Paleo movement

The Paleo Diet is based upon eating wholesome, contemporary foods from the food groups our hunter-gatherer ancestors would have thrived on during the Paleolithic era, the time period from about 2.6 million years ago to the beginning of the agricultural revolution, about 10,000 years ago. These foods include fresh meats (preferably grass-produced or free-ranging beef, pork, lamb, poultry, and game meat, if you can get it), fish, seafood, fresh fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, and healthful oils (olive, coconut, avocado, macadamia, walnut and flaxseed). Dairy products, cereal grains, legumes, refined sugars and processed foods were not part of our ancestral menu.

Decades of research by Dr. Loren Cordain and his scientific colleagues demonstrate that hunter-gatherers typically were free from the chronic illnesses and diseases that are epidemic in Western populations, including:

Obesity  (they would starve, if they actually existed)
    Cardiovascular disease (heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, congestive heart failure, atherosclerosis) (
    Type 2 diabetes
    Cancer
    Autoimmune diseases (multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, etc.)
    Osteoporosis
    Acne
    Myopia (nearsightedness), macular degeneration, glaucoma
    Varicose veins, hemorrhoids, diverticulosis, gastric reflux
    Gout

Since she doesn't actually have an ancient sub-human to test on, this is demagogue bullschlacha.

Higher protein intake – Protein comprises 15 % of the calories in the average western diet, which is considerably lower than the average values of 19-35 % found in hunter-gatherer diets. Meat, seafood, and other animal products represent the staple foods of modern day Paleo diets.

35% protein is legit. I'm down with that. It's expensive, though.

Lower carbohydrate intake and lower glycemic index – Non-starchy fresh fruits and vegetables represent the main carbohydrate source and will provide for 35-45 % of your daily calories. Almost all of these foods have low glycemic indices that are slowly digested and absorbed, and won’t spike blood sugar levels.

There are starchy fruits and vegetables?

Higher fiber intake – Dietary fiber is essential for good health, and despite what we’re told, whole grains aren’t the place to find it. Non-starchy vegetables contain eight times more fiber than whole grains and 31 times more than refined grains. Even fruits contain twice as much fiber as whole grains and seven times more than refined grains.

I agree with this completely. Hemp has even more fiber than any of this too. I still like grains for their energy, which there is a lot of.

Moderate to higher fat intake dominated by monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats with balanced Omega-3 and Omega-6 fats – It is not the total amount of fat in your diet that raises your blood cholesterol levels and increases your risk for heart disease, cancer, and type 2 diabetes, but rather the type of fat. Cut the trans fats and the Omega-6 polyunsaturated fats in your diet and increase the healthful monounsaturated and Omega-3 fats that were the mainstays of Stone Age diets. Recent large population studies known as meta analyses show that saturated fats have little or no adverse effects upon cardiovascular disease risk.

Omega-6 won't make you fat really, but if you consume a ratio of it greater than 1:4 (O6:O3), it promotes free radical growth in your body, which is bad and will make cancer in time. Trans-fat is very bad, as it does not store properly, so it makes heart disease and obesity, and it's a pain to work off. Anything outside of breast milk with trans-fat, hands off. Saturated fats make you fatter faster than any other fat (except trans). I don't know where she got her study from, but cardiovascular disease isn't really the issue for me.

Higher potassium and lower sodium intake – Unprocessed, fresh foods naturally contain 5 to 10 times more potassium than sodium, and Stone Age bodies were adapted to this ratio. Potassium is necessary for the heart, kidneys, and other organs to work properly. Low potassium is associated with high blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke – the same problems linked to excessive dietary sodium. Today, the average American consumes about twice as much sodium as potassium.

I am vehemently oppose to the tirade against salt. Salt as found in the stores, aka. sodium chloride (NaCl2) is not in fact salt, it is naked salt. Salt is one of the most complex molecules found in nature having over 100 of the known elements in a single molecule. It is extremely important for male development, and reduces your risk of heart disease. You can tell it's real salt if it's wet, as it contains magnesium, which is a water-hogging element, and one of the first they'll take out in order to sell it. That's right, sea salt or river salt or bathtub salt or wherever they find it is irrelevant because so long as they strip most of the elements off for sale, it suddenly becomes bad for your heart. Real salt or not, you need it for testosterone production, so I use a lot.

Net dietary alkaline load that balances dietary acid – After digestion, all foods present either a net acid or alkaline load to the kidneys. Acid producers are meats, fish, grains, legumes, cheese, and salt. Alkaline-yielding foods are fruits and veggies. A lifetime of excessive dietary acid may promote bone and muscle loss, high blood pressure, and increased risk for kidney stones, and may aggravate asthma and exercise-induced asthma.

That is true, and high acidity foods cause cancer, which should also include sugar. Acidic things like lemons, on a side note reduce the acid in your body. It's important to balance these, however, as your body should always be slightly acidic.

Higher intake of, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and plant phytochemicals – Whole grains are not a good substitute for lean meats, fruits, and veggies, as they contain no vitamin C, vitamin A, or vitamin B12. Many of the minerals and some of the B vitamins whole grains do contain are not well absorbed by the body.

I agree completely. And I also eat grains, and do just fine.

I weigh 200 pounds when I'm doing hardcore cardio, so I need more energy than most. I don't want to lose weight, and have no aches and pains unassociated with my injuries, so none of your listed benefits are my selling point. If you want to stay lean, do that, but your getting into the protein fast if you work out a lot, and you're wasting it. I like to gain a good two or so pounds a week working out, and grains keep me from getting into my protein fast, because I can't afford a 35% meat diet.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2013, 02:53:44 PM »
 "(Clearly, wine would never have been available to our ancestors, but the 85:15 rule allows you to consume three non-Paleo meals per week.)"

Lol this dumb [censored]

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2013, 04:43:51 PM »
Coming soon: I am going to borrow a camera from someone who has one and take a picture of my back, for all to see the results of my diet. I call it the whatever I feel like eating except sugar I eat so long as I workout diet.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2013, 08:05:52 AM »
Whatever dude. As I said originally, I don't really care to convince people about anything or to "turn" anyone into thinking a particular way or doing anything. Welcome to 2013, where internet posts and articles by journalists trump research, working with a knowledgeable doctor, and seeing results from actually trying something instead of reading about it. That being said, regarding your comments...

Since she doesn't actually have an ancient sub-human to test on, this is demagogue bullschlacha.

It is not based on the physiology of an ancient sub-human but on what people ate prior to the agricultural revolution. There are still people living today who eat this way so HE doesn't have to have an ancient man to study.

35% protein is legit. I'm down with that. It's expensive, though.

Yep, that it is. Only an individual can determine his or her priorities when it comes to choosing how to spend their money.

I agree with this completely. Hemp has even more fiber than any of this too. I still like grains for their energy, which there is a lot of.

You keep saying "energy", what do you mean? As I've said, calories are a measure of a food's energy. I don't understand how 200 calories of grains has more "energy" than 200 calories of vegetables and fruits.

There are starchy fruits and vegetables?

Yes. They are called potatoes, yams, carrots, turnips, pumpkins, corn, bananas, dried figs, prunes, raisins.

I weigh 200 pounds when I'm doing hardcore cardio, so I need more energy than most. I don't want to lose weight, and have no aches and pains unassociated with my injuries, so none of your listed benefits are my selling point. If you want to stay lean, do that, but your getting into the protein fast if you work out a lot, and you're wasting it. I like to gain a good two or so pounds a week working out, and grains keep me from getting into my protein fast, because I can't afford a 35% meat diet.

I'm very happy for you. I'm curious as to how old you are. I used to work out too (heavy weight training 4xweek, cardio 5xweek) and I was in damn good shape. The injuries that I mentioned have sidelined me from my workout routine for over a year. Over that time I was not eating nearly as much as when I was working out and yet I gained 25 lbs. Over the last month, by changing what I eat, not how much I eat, I've lost 15 lbs. This week, because of the elimination of the pain from my injuries, I began working out again. I'll start off slowly but plan to ramp it up to where I was over a year ago. I will most certainly change the amount of food I eat when that happens but not the content and I'll be curious to see the results. As for getting into your protein, I think what you mean is not getting enough energy from carbs and having your body use up muscle mass for energy. Since I plan on getting all the energy I need from a good amount of non-grain carbs, I'm not overly concerned about that. When I get back to the level of exercise that I'm aiming for, though, I'll certainly let you know if I begin losing muscle mass vs gaining it.

One more thing, which is purely anecdotal. There are two individuals that I'm acquainted with, one at work and one friend, who have a very high metabolism and have always been lacking any visible flab or fat. Anyone looking at them would say they were in pretty good shape. One is not too active and the other one runs regularly. One's predominant choice of lunch consists of a McDonald's value meal. The other consumes at least a six pack of Coke a day (that's right AT LEAST a six pack). No diet Coke here, we're talking about the real thing. One is now in his 50's and the other is in his 40's and they are both showing the telltale belly fat loaf around the waist area. I never considered either one to be healthy regardless of what they looked like in the past and, now that they are older and their metabolism has slowed down, the appearance of the belly fat confirms that. So, it's not only about how you look, it's also about what you are eating and the effects of your diet on your health.
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2013, 08:09:40 AM »
"(Clearly, wine would never have been available to our ancestors, but the 85:15 rule allows you to consume three non-Paleo meals per week.)"

Lol this dumb [censored]

No, but fermented fruit was. As for the wine, everyone has his vices. I don't think a glass of wine (or occasionally 2 glasses, or possibly 3 glasses, or every now and then 4 glasses......) is too bad.  :)
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2013, 07:52:53 PM »
Whatever dude. As I said originally, I don't really care to convince people about anything or to "turn" anyone into thinking a particular way or doing anything. Welcome to 2013, where internet posts and articles by journalists trump research, working with a knowledgeable doctor, and seeing results from actually trying something instead of reading about it. That being said, regarding your comments...

It is not based on the physiology of an ancient sub-human but on what people ate prior to the agricultural revolution. There are still people living today who eat this way so HE doesn't have to have an ancient man to study.

Yep, that it is. Only an individual can determine his or her priorities when it comes to choosing how to spend their money.

You keep saying "energy", what do you mean? As I've said, calories are a measure of a food's energy. I don't understand how 200 calories of grains has more "energy" than 200 calories of vegetables and fruits.

Yes. They are called potatoes, yams, carrots, turnips, pumpkins, corn, bananas, dried figs, prunes, raisins.

I'm very happy for you. I'm curious as to how old you are. I used to work out too (heavy weight training 4xweek, cardio 5xweek) and I was in damn good shape. The injuries that I mentioned have sidelined me from my workout routine for over a year. Over that time I was not eating nearly as much as when I was working out and yet I gained 25 lbs. Over the last month, by changing what I eat, not how much I eat, I've lost 15 lbs. This week, because of the elimination of the pain from my injuries, I began working out again. I'll start off slowly but plan to ramp it up to where I was over a year ago. I will most certainly change the amount of food I eat when that happens but not the content and I'll be curious to see the results. As for getting into your protein, I think what you mean is not getting enough energy from carbs and having your body use up muscle mass for energy. Since I plan on getting all the energy I need from a good amount of non-grain carbs, I'm not overly concerned about that. When I get back to the level of exercise that I'm aiming for, though, I'll certainly let you know if I begin losing muscle mass vs gaining it.

One more thing, which is purely anecdotal. There are two individuals that I'm acquainted with, one at work and one friend, who have a very high metabolism and have always been lacking any visible flab or fat. Anyone looking at them would say they were in pretty good shape. One is not too active and the other one runs regularly. One's predominant choice of lunch consists of a McDonald's value meal. The other consumes at least a six pack of Coke a day (that's right AT LEAST a six pack). No diet Coke here, we're talking about the real thing. One is now in his 50's and the other is in his 40's and they are both showing the telltale belly fat loaf around the waist area. I never considered either one to be healthy regardless of what they looked like in the past and, now that they are older and their metabolism has slowed down, the appearance of the belly fat confirms that. So, it's not only about how you look, it's also about what you are eating and the effects of your diet on your health.

If you like the diet, more power to you. I'm just a pathological debater, so I have to oppose it for the sake of argument. And every girl I've ever met tells me about their stupid diet, so I will oppose diets by default.

200 calories of asparagus is going to cost more and take a lot longer to make than a sandwich. 200 calories are the same calories regardless of the food, but you can substitute a giant plate of vegetables for a bowl of brown or wild rice. You still need vegetables too, but if you keep your proportions straight, the rice shouldn't be any different for you than the bowl of vegetables, except for the glycemic index, but I could care less about my blood sugar.

I like all those starchy vegetables then, too. You don't eat carrots??

I'm in my 20s. I'm not in perfect shape, but I can still do pull-ups and head-kicks, so I do OK. I'm sorry to hear about your injury. I recently multiply fractred my collar bone, then the collar bone got jammed into my shoulder muscle, and then marrow came out of the bone and hardened making an arthritic spike. The doctor said a bunch of garbage, but they can't do anything, so I can work out, it's just immensely painful. I slowed down at first, but I've always had a high tolerance to pain and everything, so I get by.

I know people with stupid fast metabolisms too. I have actually an extremely low metabolism, not to the point where it's dangerous, but as low as it could naturally be. I eat something and if I burb the next day, it can taste like it. When I was young, I was fat, and then I just stopped eating sugar and worked out a lot for two months, and then I wasn't fat. Easy. Gaining weight to where I am now was hard, but totally worth it. Anyone at any age can do it, but at least, whether your diet makes you Brad Pitt or not, you have to admit that eating healthy and getting in shape is not hard, is mostly based on common sense, and you don't need someone talking about fantasy cavemen to do it right.