Author Topic: Insight into Noach : Previous Worlds Destroyed  (Read 1734 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Insight into Noach : Previous Worlds Destroyed
« on: October 08, 2010, 12:31:44 AM »
I just listened to Phil Chernofsky's OU Torah Tidbits show ( http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Radio/News.aspx/2571 ) this evening and learned a little something new...

The Talmud teaches us that Hashem created worlds before he created this world, Phil stated the # 973 worlds {but I have not been able to find a reference to this}.

This information is helpful in trying to understand some things like dinosaurs and fossils, etc. Phil didn't explore the concept very deeply but I thought about discussing this here.

Here is an article which talks about this idea: http://www.torah.org/learning/ravfrand/5763/bereishis.html

The Paradigm of "If At First You Don't Succeed, Try Try Again"

The pasuk says, "And G-d saw all that He created and behold (hinei) it was very good" [Bereshis 1:31]. The Medrash explains that G-d created worlds and then destroyed them until he created this world. This is the implication of the world 'Hinei' [behold], which implies that all of a sudden, G-d created a world that was good (so he did not destroy it).

The simple reading of this Medrash is that G-d engaged in a number of 'trial runs' until He finally "got it right" and created a world with which He was happy. It is described as if there was an architect at a drawing table with a large pad. He drew out some plans that he did not like. So he ripped off the paper, crumpled it up, threw it in the garbage, and started over again. "Back to the drawing board!"

This obviously would be heresy and is clearly not what the Medrash is saying. I saw an interesting insight into this Medrash in the name of Rav Soloveitchik, zt"l. Rav Soloveitchik stated that every parsha in the Torah is coming to teach us a lesson. However, the description of Creation (ma'aseh Bereshis) is so obscure and so incomprehensible that one must wonder what its inclusion in the Torah could possibly teach.

Even after reading the account of creation, we still do not understand what happened. It is clearly not a historical account. The account of creation seems very imprecise to us. So what are we supposed to learn from it?

Rav Soloveitchik taught that there is a mitzvah in the Torah called "Mah hu, af attah" (Imitatio Dei -- Just as is with Him; so too it shall be with you). A person must try to emulate G-d. We make a mistake by thinking that the command of "You shall walk in His ways" [Devorim 28:9] is limited to the attributes of compassion and mercy [Shabbat 133b] or to certain very specific acts of kindness (e.g. - burying the dead; clothing the naked, etc.) [Sotah 14a]. Rav Soloveitchik said that "Mah hu, af attah" is a much broader concept than that.

The story of Creation teaches us that G-d is a creator of worlds. But the Medrash is teaching us that one can create worlds and they can be failures, but one should not become discouraged. One should start over and do it again until he succeeds. G-d specifically created worlds and destroyed them -- not because He could not get it right the first time. Rather, He wanted to show us mortals how difficult it sometimes is to create something. Sometimes one can exert effort for a good part of one's life and then realize that the product of his efforts has been a flop. The tendency is to throw up one's hands in despair and proclaim, "I've had it!" The Master of the World, therefore, did something "totally out of character" for Him -- He goofed! Not, Heaven Forbid, out of incompetence; but rather because He wanted to give us the paradigm of not getting it right the first time. Failure should not inhibit our creativity and should not inhibit our ambition. We each must become 'creators of worlds' in our own limited capacities. If our creations fail, so be it. We can follow G-d's example and try it again.

Who was the first 'person' to say, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again"? It was, as it were, G-d Himself. That is the lesson of the Medrash that G-d created worlds and destroyed them.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Insight into Noach : Previous Worlds Destroyed
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 02:43:46 PM »
That is an indication that the kabalah can be used to explain an old universe.   My rabbi has spoken about this before the creation and destruction of worlds.   I can't say I understand very much about it, but certainly it indicates that Jewish thinkers a very long time ago were onto the idea of life prior to Adam.

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 07:12:59 PM »
Re:  "the creation and destruction of worlds. "

Yes.

In the Hindu Vedas Shiva as "Cosmic Dancer" exactly signifies this concept.

Buddhism also includes it in its ideology.

Genesis has Ha'Shem willing light into existence.

Physics teaches that all matter is composed of light.

Everything ties in with everything else when the deepest metaphysical elements are discovered beneath the 'face value' understanding of each letter and word in Torah.

Now ... Let's go out there and kick some butt!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 08:56:19 PM »
Re:  "the creation and destruction of worlds. "

Yes.

In the Hindu Vedas Shiva as "Cosmic Dancer" exactly signifies this concept.

Buddhism also includes it in its ideology.

Genesis has Ha'Shem willing light into existence.

Physics teaches that all matter is composed of light.

Everything ties in with everything else when the deepest metaphysical elements are discovered beneath the 'face value' understanding of each letter and word in Torah.

Now ... Let's go out there and kick some butt!

You tell them!

Massuh, my good friend... I hope you had a pleasurable Shabbos...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14