Author Topic: Obama to bypass Congress with carbon taxes?  (Read 452 times)

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
Obama to bypass Congress with carbon taxes?
« on: November 08, 2010, 07:53:42 PM »
http://conservativeactionalerts.com/blog_post/show/1454

In his nationally televised press conference, President Obama indicated that carbon taxes may be imposed on U.S. citizens through a move designed to bypass Congress altogether [...]

Knowing that the chances of getting cap-and-trade legislation through a Republican-controlled House and a Senate with a larger, more conservative Republican minority will be almost impossible, Obama suggested a backdoor route through the Environmental Protection Agency may be a way to accomplish the goal without requiring new legislation.

"The EPA is under a court order that says greenhouse gases are a pollutant that fall under their jurisdiction," Obama said. "And I think one of the things that's very important for me is not to have us ignore the science, but rather to find ways that we can solve these problems that don't hurt the economy, that encourage the development of clean energy in this country, that, in fact, may give us opportunities to create entire new industries and create jobs that – and that put us in a competitive posture around the world."

Corsi wrote, "Obama intends to pursue the ideological cause of reducing carbon emissions despite growing doubt in the international scientific community about the validity of anthropogenic climate warming theories."

"Cap-and-trade was just one way of skinning the cat; it was not the only way," Obama said. "And I'm going to be looking for other means to address this problem."

On June 26, 2009, in a 219 to 212 vote, House passed a cap-and-trade bill that was championed by Henry Waxman, D-Calif., and Edward Markey, D-Mass. The Senate did not take up floor consideration of a cap-and-trade measure.

Corsi wrote, "Now, Obama is in for a fight if he intends to proceed with implementing carbon taxes through the back door of EPA regulations."
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt